Aliases

Started by , January 13, 2003, 08:46:57 PM

Is it possible to bind two commands to an Alias? Such as if I want to set up a crafting Alias for a.. let's say Incense burner. Could I do something like...

alias burner craft stone into spiral-carved incense burner; change ldesc is sitting here, chipping away at a stone

If not... I'll just set up aliases for my ldesc changes.

Tony, I do that using my mud client (Zmud) all the time.  It's fairly easy.  I don't think you can do it while using the mud's alias system though.
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

I used zMUD too, would I be able to set up an alias that has a target? Like say I wanted a fancy kill emote.. So have an alias that emotes, then attacks the target if I type...

attack Spanky

You can do it. Read up on using variables and the like.

Roger that, thanks

Of all this time I've been playing MUDs I've never bothered to look up aliases and variables and such and such, partially out of laziness - well okay, mostly out of laziness. Also because the one I played had a very nice java client and, in fact, you weren't allowed to use anything but the java client.

But I'm curious now.

Any of you feel like giving a general lesson? Or can point me to a place where I can read up on using them?

It really depends on what client you are using. I used to use Zmud but I have switched to Mushclient for the spell check feature. Mushclient has a scripting feature allowing you to use vbscript or javascript. I switched pretty recently so the only thing I have scripted is an alarm function. It plays a sound when anything happens on the screen, for when I need to run AFK and do not expect anything to be happening.