gone <blah>

Started by flurry, August 23, 2005, 12:02:48 PM

Both recently and in the past, I've seen gone messages of the forms:

gone <funny comment>

or

gone <superfluous information>

Now, I have a sense of humor, but both of those things can be pretty jarring to me.

The gone command is a great help, so I'm not suggesting that people don't use it.  I just wanted to post this both to open up a discussion and to appeal to other players to try to be a little more considerate when using the gone command.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Yeah saw one today with a weird comment. Which completely breaks the mood of the general atmosphere of the rp. Sometimes it's fun but...I don't know...why can't a simple gone afk for a moment be enough? Honestly, I feel kind of funny when I sudden sees a so and so noble or a  so and so badass has gone to mars bwahahahaha!

It's...just...weird.  :shock:
Quote from: Majikal on August 20, 2009, 05:53:09 PM

Running after Carru, catching them, then eating them while they are still breathing is a Red Fang's version of 'fast food'.

It is jarring when people get carried away, or break the TMI barriers with gone messages.  :shock:
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I personally stick with things like:

Gone BRB in 5
Gone Walking the Dog BRB
Gone Bathroom, Back in 5
Gone a few
Gone 5 minutes.
Gone  Phone.

Just to let people know if I am gone and away or just hung up on the phone or something.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "sarahjc"I personally stick with things like:

Gone BRB in 5
Gone Walking the Dog BRB
Gone Bathroom, Back in 5
Gone a few
Gone 5 minutes.
Gone  Phone.

Just to let people know if I am gone and away or just hung up on the phone or something.

Yeah, me too. Try and keep it short and sweet people, get the point across and get back as soon as you can.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I see no reason to say more than gone brb or gone brb in X.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if gone just took a minutes argument like gone 10, and it echoed, so and so is gone, but should be back in roughly 10 minutes.
Amor Fati

Maybe it should be coded so you can't put your own message and have to choose from a certin set of coded messages like sarahjc stated above.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

I just do "gone four minutes and twenty five seconds".
And I always come back on time.  Scary, I know.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

gone approximately X minutes

Anything else makes you a damn commie and a cancer to the game.

I liked one someone posted once:

gone craft water noodles sauce into piping-hot bowl of top ramen

Guess I'm the only one that likes those. :(

- Ktavialt

*chuckle* I think sarahjc's list pretty much sums it up. Honestly - I'll never forget being reprimanded IG when I did 'gone taking dog out' .. I think just as long as it doesn't resort to crazy away messages and people going ooc to tell you they don't like your 'gone to get coffee' messages then all is good.  :twisted: Yes, I'm still bitter.  :P
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

As a side note. People don't respond well when you type in "gone to the bathroom" and press enter.
Every noble in the place will be gone by the time you return from the bathroom.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime