Here is an Idea I thought of.

Started by Maybe42or54, July 18, 2005, 04:25:42 PM

How about this.

Put quit out rooms in front of the taverns where there is a quit room instead of where people sleep?

It would make it a little more seamless in the world I know.

I'll add later after I get into the shower and wash this 3 day old blood off my chest.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Hmm. It's not a bad idea, you would get less of:

The actually great RPer has arrived from the north
The actually great RPer walks to the west.
And then dissapears as he jump up to talk with him.

I don't know, the ideas got merit, although I don't like it. For one it'd feel strange and be something to get used to (not that, that should be the only reason against it), but also what about in other quit rooms? Within estates, within the wilderness.

Right now. Quit rooms are just that -quit rooms-. It is an ooc thing, but you can kinda feel what they are from the IC perspective too. A place in the wilderness where you could safely camp...your barracks...the sleeping quarters....the sleepingquarters. They all have that little feel. I rarely type quit test. Even when in a new arear.

Not bad, but nah.
storrie: Stay out of the rinth. It is dangerous.
jstorrie: IC INFORMATION!~!
jstorrie: You will get ultrapk'd.
jstorrie: There are no buildings in the rinth. Everything is made out of tall, cloaked figures with knives. You will die.

I am just talking about moving the quit rooms out of the Bars.

That way I have a reason to go with why I didn't stop them before they logged out. I can actually say "Well fuck me til I'm raw in the ear. I was chasing after him, but lost him in the crowd."

I could say that about them logging out in the sleeping quarter, but it just feels better to me if I actually left the tavern instead of using the overused log out called "time to rest."

Wilderness and all those other quit outs can stay the same. I just want the bar ones to change.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Yep, would be nice to tell your friends you have duties to attend to, and walk out of the tavern instead of up the stairs to the sleeping area.

I like it.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

I wish we had camp.  Pretty much you setup a camp and any room becomes a quit safe, but it takes 5 RL minutes to do it, giving you messages of what you are doing.  It's pretty feasible, and the time could be affected by what zone you are in.  So if the sector is set to 'desert' it might take 10 minutes to set up camp and be quit you out, but if it's set to 'grasslands' you can setup camp fairly quickly and get it done in 5.

Also certain rooms might add bonuses to using the camp command and get you quit out faster or lessen the time it takes, such as rooms with ruined forts or places to sleep and camp, like rooms with lots of debris and stuff.  I really wish this was implemented.. Wouldn't make it too strong so people can suddenly quit out like Rangers can, but it would give the mass-loners that aren't a Ranger ability to quit out when they need to, or are stuck in a sandstorm.

Any comments?

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Sounds reasonable. Since it may take the same amount of time to make a camp as to get to a quit out. Except of course if you are in a sandstorm. Then it can take an hour or so.

I am in for it.

Simply because I don't want to -have- to travel in a sandstorm. And I mean I don't want to travel in a sandstorm and I don't want to -have- to. That sounds like a bitch to me.

I really have to say I like the idea of the quitting rooms outside the taverns. Just seems to me it would make much better RP, cuz I've kinda thought about that before... it's just a bit odd how someone says "I have to sleep." walks up the stairs, and doesn't come back for possibly a day or so. So yeah, I say designated quit out room is a wonderful idea!

I am -completely- for moving the quit out rooms to just outside the tavern. Just like Hexxaex said, it's kind of dumb saying you have duties to attend to, or that you're going for a hunt or whatever, stand up, and go to the sleeping quarters (although you -could- just say you're going to get some sleep, but what about clanned characters sleeping in the public sleeping commons? Naaaaah.)

Summed up: I like idea. Please put quit safe rooms just outside taverns, or not always in taverns.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Quote from: "Mean_Old_Bastard"For one it'd feel strange and be something to get used to.

Maybe we could -add- a quit room outside as well as having one up above, therefore, you clanned folk could say your going to do your duties and quit right out there, or you could lift yer lazy ass back to your compound! And then loners can say they are getting sleep.
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

I'm confused how moving the quit-safe room from inside the tavern, to outside a tavern (which is a less logically 'safe' location) would make quitting out of the game any different, or more realistic. Maybe I'm not understanding the question/issue?
Tlaloc
Legend

It just looks better to see someone quit out by walking out of the tavern when they said they have to leave for work, instead of saying duty calls and walking to the sleeping chamber.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

I don't really care about having a quit safe outside the tavern.  Just make the tavern main rooms quit safe, then we can quit there and people know you are leaving for a while. Instead of you saying you have to go take care of something, and they try to contact you 5 minutes later.

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

I'm with Tlaloc.  And you will still have weird situations like:

John says: "Hey guys I'm headed off to the tavern with you."
The guys say: "OK"
The guys walk into the tavern.
John has departed Armageddon.
The guys say: "Hey, where's John?"

I also like having the quitting out kept in the rooms adjacent to the taverns.  The OOC 'Has departed the land' message is more distracting than any ambiguity over where the guy who quit has gone to if you ask me.

My vote is to keep things as they are.

I vote to change the quit message to something else.  Like

The big brown mountain walks out of the area.

or something to that nature, in fact I believe you could actually vary the messages depending on each room, so if you quit in the gaj it could be.

The big brown mountain walks out of the tavern.

or in quit safe cave.

The big brown mountain has left the cave.

Thats actually not a bad idea, RM. However, my issues with this are that:

1) People aren't always going to be leaving the location. They might actually be going to sleep in the sleeping chambers, or in the barracks, or whever they might be.

2) Entering and Leaving the game is an OOC action. ICly your character may still be in the game, but you are still OOCly distinctly not in the game. As such, it should probably convey an OOC message. This is convinient for players to come up with solutions to RP around your absense (this prevents your Runners from being punished for skipping chores while you're offline, for example).

People may be surprised, but people have gotten into a -lot- of trouble over the abuse of the 'quit' command. Characters should not be able to easily avoid capture/death/bad things, simply by typing 'quit'. Quitting out of the game is an OOC action, and thats why it carries the OOC messaging.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "RunningMountain"I vote to change the quit message to something else.  Like

The big brown mountain walks out of the area.

or something to that nature, in fact I believe you could actually vary the messages depending on each room, so if you quit in the gaj it could be.

The big brown mountain walks out of the tavern.

or in quit safe cave.

The big brown mountain has left the cave.

Or maybe we could have quit emotes, like with standing or sitting etc.

quit walks out of the tavern and falls in with the bustling crowd.
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

Quote from: "I"Or maybe we could have quit emotes, like with standing or sitting etc.

I like this idea a lot.

Quote from: "CRW"
Quote from: "I"Or maybe we could have quit emotes, like with standing or sitting etc.

I like this idea a lot.

Liar! You didn't write that! I did!  :wink: