Multi-crafting?

Started by I, July 17, 2005, 11:34:56 PM

Does anybody think that some items (most likely food) could be crafted at the same time as others of the same kind? For example: if you have two pieces of raw uncooked meat. <craft all meat into a cooked piece o meat> meat would work because you could throw more than one piece into the fire or onto the grill, whatever you're using. Of course, not all items would be multi-craftable, for instance, you could not be making three bows at the same time. Agree? Disagree?
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

I think crafting already takes less time than it should realistically.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"I think crafting already takes less time than it should realistically.

I totally agree with this. I think crafting is already way quicker than it should be. Have you ever cooked a steak in real life? It takes about, maybe 10 minutes. IG it takes 2. IG it takes 2 minutes to stitch a shirt or pants or something. RL I'm not exactly sure because I've never made one, but it probably takes hours. So, in general I think it wouldn't be a very good addition.

-But- if you did have a grill, I do think it would be neat if you could:

Put steak grill; put steak grill; put steak grill

craft all grill into cooked steak

That would be kind of neat.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

It sort of depends on how big the cooking surface is and how many people are trying to use it at the same time.   :D   Most cooking goes pretty quickly.  

However, for the purpose of emoting you might well  combine the emotes as though you were cooking 5 scrab steaks at the same time.  Start the first crafting, emote cleaning and tenderizing your pile o'meat.  Second crafting attempt, put those bad boys one the grill.  And so on.  On the final crafting attempt you know how most of the cooking turned out, so you can incorperate the cooking/burning results into the final minutes of the cooking.   Code-wise you are still doing them one by one, but combining them for emote purposes can add a little variety.

Combining works best for crafts that you could actually be doing simultaniously, like cooking, but it also works for any craft if you are doing it assembly line style.  Like if you wanted to make a bunch of shirts you could intersperse the crafting attempts with emotes that show you chalking the design on all of them, cutting them all out, basting all the seams, stitching the peices together, then sewing the buttons on each of them, and whatever else needs to be done to make a shirt.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Well I'm guessing this wouldn't be the way to go on a wide scale, but this -could- be done in certain cases by making crafting recipes accordingly.   But I agree that with the times being as short as they are, it isn't needed.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

would be kinda neat.

I've no real intrest in this happening though. Other things to be worked on, but. Kinda neat idea.
storrie: Stay out of the rinth. It is dangerous.
jstorrie: IC INFORMATION!~!
jstorrie: You will get ultrapk'd.
jstorrie: There are no buildings in the rinth. Everything is made out of tall, cloaked figures with knives. You will die.

Quote from: "elvenchipmunk"
Quote from: "Marauder Moe"I think crafting already takes less time than it should realistically.

I totally agree with this. I think crafting is already way quicker than it should be. Have you ever cooked a steak in real life? It takes about, maybe 10 minutes. IG it takes 2. IG it takes 2 minutes to stitch a shirt or pants or something. RL I'm not exactly sure because I've never made one, but it probably takes hours. So, in general I think it wouldn't be a very good addition.

Just a simple reminder, game time is alot faster then rl time. Those two min could very well be well over 20 in game min. I feel its better to not assume rl time with crafting, but how much of the day ingame has passed during your crafting session.

Quote from: "I"Does anybody think that some items (most likely food) could be crafted at the same time as others of the same kind? For example: if you have two pieces of raw uncooked meat. <craft all meat into a cooked piece o meat> meat would work because you could throw more than one piece into the fire or onto the grill, whatever you're using. Of course, not all items would be multi-craftable, for instance, you could not be making three bows at the same time. Agree? Disagree?

Theres nothing you can't do with a few emotes  :wink:

You are carrying:
a few strips of meat

think I guess steaks sound about right, today.

You think: I guess steaks sound about right, today.

:places a few strips of meat on ~grill

The silvery-haired lass places a few strips of meat on the grill of armageddon.

:flips a piece of meat on ~grill with ~fork and begins watching the other pieces.

The silvery-haired lass flips a piece of meat on the grill of armageddon with the fork of stabbing and begins watching the other pieces.

The silvery-haired lass burns a piece of meat

think Damn! Well... I like cajun anyways.

You think: Damn! Well... I like cajun anyways.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "inkhore"
Quote from: "elvenchipmunk"

Just a simple reminder, game time is alot faster then rl time. Those two min could very well be well over 20 in game min. I feel its better to not assume rl time with crafting, but how much of the day ingame has passed during your crafting session.

That's a good point, and it could very well be true. -However-, if that really is the case, then wouldn't -everything- in the game be kind of in  fast motion? Like fast forwarding kind of.

And just so that my post isn't a complete derailment, I stand by my opinion that this skill wouldn't be extremely useful, and although it is a good suggestion, I don't think it's necessary.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

I agree, you shouldn't just be pumping out craftables.  I just feel that time does move alot faster so you dont have to spend hours rping out creating something is all.

I believe time now moves 8 times faster in game than in real life.  You get 8 IC years passing in each RL year.  So an activity that takes 2 minutes in game is actually takings something like 16 minutes.  If you travel from 'Nak to Tuluk in an 20 minutes, it was really more like 160 minutes (which is still awfully fast).  If you had a quick 30 minute mudsex session, it was more like 240 minutes IC -- you stud.   :roll:

For the most part it is best not to think too much about time or distance in MUDs.  Some things, like travel, seem to occur in fast-forward; while other things, like conversations or parties, seem to take an unreasonably long time.  Generally MUDs have IC time pass faster than RL time, so that you have the oportunity to see more of your character's life and experience history unfolding -- all without having to actually play the game for 50 RL years.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins