Peeking the near dead.

Started by williamson, June 22, 2005, 07:52:47 PM

It would be cool if peek worked like steal in terms of anyone using it on the sleeping, stunned, and mortally wounded.

-Williamson
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

I for one....think that's bad in the first place.

Steal should still be checked as a skill, on a critical failure there should be a chance to 'wake' the target. Really, this code would even work for those passed out or critically wounded. Just on a critically fail, automatically making the failer type 'wake target'...it would say they can't be awakened. But...yeah. Just my thought.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: "Dracul"
Steal should still be checked as a skill, on a critical failure there should be a chance to 'wake' the target.

Dracul, I completely agree with you, I have been thinking about this a lot recently. Has anybody honestly ever tried to take of some guys jacket when he was asleep, and this guy wasn't sleeping, he was just REALY fucking drunk, well any way he woke up, i found it surprisingly hard. So think about it, to take of something like pants, jackets, cloaks etc. you would have to turn the victim over, manipulate their body to remove the article of clothing and other shit likewise. So about peek, I don't think a critical fail is sensible, but definetely not a 100% boost in you abilities, maybe just an echo for everyone who is actually awake, or you just don't see everything they have in their inventory.
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

How deeply you sleep in RL varies from person to person, and I imagine that extends in-game as well.  Me, personally...sometimes, yes, I steal from sleeping people.  I have been emoting before doing it a -lot- more than I used to, though, and I appreciate those who role-play something -other- than snapping awake instantly.

My problem is this...have any of you shadowed a guy who was bleeding profusely, knowing they'd have to pass out somewhere or another to recover?  Some say that in itself is kind of abuse of ooc knowledge, since you know they have to sleep.  I'll leave that to you...but it's actually fairly common for these people to sleep...and wake three seconds later, look around, sleep again...rinse and repeat.  Over and over...until they can regen their hitpoints without sleeping anymore.

I think that's lame.  Heh.  But this goes back to the trust issue from player to player...if the thief doesn't trust you'll role-play out just how passed out your character is, they probably won't role-play out the theft very well.

That's my opinion anyway.

I support the idea of there being a chance, albeit much smaller, of critical failing on sleeping people and waking them.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Obviously you should be able to peek at sleeping and unconscious characters.

QuoteI for one....think that's bad in the first place.

Peeking into unconscious/sleeping people? Stealing from unconscious people?

Yeah, a chance of failing on steal might be nice, but...if you don't have the skill, the delay is horrendous on even an unconscious person. That could change. Things are hard enough for muggers, heh.

I strongly disagree with you. Stealing the shirt off a sleeping person is an extreme example - it's about the most difficult thing to steal off a sleeping person, and I could still probably do it in real-life. If steal or peek could tell the difference between a sleeping and unconscious person then it would be nice to check it on sleeping people, but I don't think it does.
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Okay, I hijacked the thread.
Yes, if steal is the way it is, peek should be autosuceed to. Not only does it fall in the same...realistic category, it would lead to a little more realistic roleplay.

Therefore: The mul will ruffle through your pockets, cut off your pack, etc. Rather than remove your cloak, backpack, wepaons, and boots with a sheath. The latter is what codewise has to happen for someone disarming a sleeping person. But...it'd be better if peek worked.

I dunno...I'm for peek working like steal on sleeping targets if the current stands. But I really think that steal should have a chance of waking people too.
Veteran Newbie

Dracul.. I tottaly agree with you.  Me of corse being one of those scum bags who likes to rob the weak and sleeping of there stuff.  I think there should absolutly be a chance of waking them, but I also think that when your sleeping you shouldnt be able to react to someone coming in the room and emoting, I've seen guys wake right up when you do an emote and I think its damn lame.  Thus because of this I do no emote, nothing.. Its sad but it's the only way I can pull a pack from a sleeping, bleeding, exhastued, about to be victimized individual.  When in reality I want to emote pulling a knife and carfully cutting the straps of there pack, removing it quietly.  This takes time and allows for someone to walk in on the situation or the victim to possibly awake on his own.  Opening an opportunity to be caught by others who may be about or even by the victim.

The skill 'hide' exists for a reason.

yea, no shit bro... but not everyone has hide.  But thanks for the two cents its much apperciated.

As someone who plays the occasional raider it would be nice when I knock them out if I could search through their clothing to see what they have, instead of just killing them and looking in the corpse. This way there would be no real need to pk at all... unless that is the kind of char you play. Me I knock em out then try different keywords while emoting searching through their belonging i.e. steal bag... steal pack... steal knife... steal steel (you never know) ... steal coins
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas