animal companions

Started by blah, January 09, 2003, 01:23:08 AM

i think there should be pets like hawks cuz you could have a companion it would have to be tamed and stuff and you should have commands to get them to attack or hunt or something and an animal emote the commands should go as far as the animal is tamed and how good you are with animals and they shouldent be so damn hard to keep i mean how hard is it too feed a bloody thing and some should be able to hunt for themselvs as well and stuff sound good bad any ideas something?

If you are going to post on an idea that has already been posted, first, this is probably not the place for it, as this is ask the staff form.  Second, you should read the posts already posted.  The staff responded to the question of having pets like a hawk.  Go back and read the response before you go posting the exact same question.  You obviously saw that thread as you just barely posted to it moments before writing this post.  

Finally, your case would be greatly helped if you considered making your post legible in the future.  That post was written at about the level of what one would expect from a second grade elementary school student.  If you are foreign and your native language has no punctuation or capitalization, then it is something you might want to study a little further to improve the quality of your English.  That said, I highly doubt you are foreign, as your use of slang and your sentence structure (if one were to imagine periods) makes it very apparent you are fluent in English.  I don't mean that as a flame, just that it is very hard to take something seriously when it looks the writer has the writing abilities of a very young child.

wow. way to sound like a complete jerk, rindan. if you truly did not want your post to sound like a flame, so you stated anyway, perhaps you should not have bothered to write it at all. sure, the guy's grammer is a bit off, maybe he has a hard time typing or something.maybe it was a long night for him or some other excuse that happens to normal people. either way, i can't for the life of me think why that makes it all right for you to go off on him and sound like a complete bitch.by the way, this is most definetly a flame. i have seen you and a few other people insult,ridicule and criticise(gee,hope i spelled that right,or else) others for their lack of spelling, sentence structure and other things. yes, typing fast and clearly is a blessing, some of us don't do it as well.i'm sure the " lesser' of us still shouldn't be subject to looking in on the gdb and finding out how dumb or less skilled we are in comparison to amazing and interesting people like you.

hey, thanks for reading. delete this post if you wish. i just wanted to vent about that, since i see it all too often on the board.i'm gonna go look in the mirror and tell myself how well i did.....ok, now i'm just screwing around

My question is. How do you play the MUD. I've yet to see people on the MUD type like I've seen on the GDB. No puncuation, no capatalization, no nothing most the time. Even with puncuation but nothing else, it's very hard to read. Thats why English has them as rules in the first place.

I'd say, there is not really any reason that someone can't take a couple minutes longer to type out capital letters and that good stuff, most the time, it's probably a NATIVE english speaker that does this as from what I've seen, non-native speakers may not be the best at structuring their sentances, but when it comes to the basic rules... They tend to be right on top of everything.

And on top of everything else, Rindan's posts about the subject of typing and all that, it may be close to a flame, but I think it's very well founded and the posts quite well made up so as to not insult people as bad as it could be.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Spellshock's got a point. People are going too far. Rindan, why don't you stop bullying newbies around for a while and try helping instead? Yeah, it's irritating. Either ignore it or don't complain about the lack of player base, because you scared away everyone who didn't meet your critique.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I have to agree that the original post was...more difficult to read than it should have been. Most people understand what seperate sentences are, and that the first letter of a sentence should be capitalized and there should be a punctuation mark (just one, mind you) at the end of such a sentence.

However, I can see this is rapidly turning into a thread about English usage rather than animal companions. The poster may be lacking in grammar use, but clearly he/she is excited about the game and full of ideas to improve it. I don't think that should be discouraged. So maybe in addition to correcting his/her grammar you could also comment on his/her idea.

While I am not staff, I don't think it's too IC to say that there are tame and semi-tame animals of various sorts in the game already, although I don't think there are any that can hunt by their owner's side(but I could be mistaken).
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Personally I'm convinced that the repeat posts all lacking in the same basic grammatical manner and often asking the same question in a different forum are all from the same person trying to get a rise out of us.

Hence I'm ignoring them.

I think you people are reading far too much into my post if you are seeing some terrible flame and my malicious attempts to drive away newbies.  I said:

1)  The post was very hard to read, and it looked like a young child wrote it due to the lack of even punctuation.

2)  I said that the result of this is that people are far more likely to ignore such posts and assume that the poster is stupid and has nothing important to say.

Both of those statements are without a doubt true.  

That is not a flame.  That is criticism, and it is criticism that is constructive.  The fact that no one other then myself even bothered to respond to his post makes it pretty damned clear in my book that what I said would happen was completely honest and true.

You want me to help a newbie?  Read my original post again.  That was the absolute best newbie advice I could have given to that person.  If you post and idea or ask a question, the more legible it is, the more likely someone will take the time to listen and help you.  If you post a long rambling post like the one that started this thread that lacks even the most basic of punctuation, people will ignore it and discard whatever is said as worthless garbage, rightly or wrongly.  I think that warning someone that posting such an illegible post will result in people flat out ignoring them is far more helpful then ignoring them.

Constructive criticism is criticism when you at least make an effort to help.  
What you've been doing, in this post and the other posts I've seen on GDB is just pitful and hurtful to the new players, it gives a bad impression.  All you've been doing in the past few weeks is doing a splendid job of putting people down for a trivial reasons, and boosting your own ego.
As I said somewhere else, if you don't understand the post and you don't have anything postitive to say, don't bother posting.  It's not helpful, it's not desirable, it's not polite, you're being just a plain a-----e, Rindan.  I have little tolerance for the people who criticize, hurt and even verbally-abuse others people for their own jollies.

If you truly wish to be helpful, instead of criticizing someone's English, simply ask for clarification.  "Did you mean this, or that...?"

-------------------------------------------
Quotei think there should be pets like hawks cuz you could have a companion it would have to be tamed and stuff and you should have commands to get them to attack or hunt or something and an animal emote the commands should go as far as the animal is tamed and how good you are with animals and they shouldent be so damn hard to keep i mean how hard is it too feed a bloody thing and some should be able to hunt for themselvs as well and stuff sound good bad any ideas something?

You'll have to look around in game to find a pet like that, however currently they are set as objects - solely for RP purposes.  
You can RP out feeding it, taking care of it, and what not.

-G
Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of."
Benjamin Franklin  (1706-1790).  Poor Richard's Almanack.

This is my last post on the subject.  If you still are convinced I like to smack down people for my own ego, I find it doubtful future post will convince you other wise.

Simply put, no one but me responded to that post that was sitting in the ask the staff form.  Not only did no one respond to it, but the staff didn't bother responding to it.  The staff went through and answered every other post around it, but flat out skipped this one, along with everyone else.  It was completely and absolutely ignored by everyone.

If you post like the way this person did, you will be ignored by the vast majority of the people that would normally take their time to help or give feedback.  The worst thing a newbie (or anyone for that matter) can do when asking for help or trying share an idea is to post in such an unintelligible manner that everyone ignores the post and assumes they are stupid.  I am boggled as to how you can possibly argue other wise.  I was pointing out that as long as he keeps posting in such an unintelligible manner he is pretty much guaranteed to be ignored by the vast majority of people.

So let me make it crystal clear what my intention is and was.  It was not to flame the newbie.  It wasn't to bitch that it hurts my eyes.  I can ignore the post just like everyone else did and my eyes will not bleed.  I posted to warn that people who post in such a manner will get little or no response from most players.  The person posted, I am sure they expected a response (or why post?). No one responded.  I stated the reason why no one responded.

Gee, a whole 24 minutes went by without a response. Yep, he's definitely getting ignored.

If you really want to help him, Rindan, perhaps you should post in a manner that is likely to have your reader's full attention. I.e. not an attack.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I have to defend Rindan here.  His post was hardly on a flame level.

The original post was extremely dificult to comprehend for obvious reasons, and Rindan was simply attempting to point that out to the original poster.  He explained his views clearly, and expanded upon his reasons for holding them.

Sure, the tone, particularly in the first paragraph, may have been slightly harsh.  However, if you go back and reread that first post, was he really that off?  No offense to blah, but I think the point must be made: That post looked like the type someone would write up jokingly as an example of how bad certain posts can get to illustrate the obvious dificulties in reading it or to get a laugh from people.

Armageddon has always had a harsh learning curve for newbies over the years, and I feel this has been toned down quite a bit.  However, I still think that there is a time and a place for tough love.  It takes all types after all, and in certain cases if newbies (And I'll point out that it was never established that poster blah was a newbie) start running around  thinking its acceptable to not use punctuation or grammar, among other possible bad habits, that such habits could carry over into the game.

When I started Armagedodn so many years ago, I had never played a mud before and didn't fully understand the concept of RP or skills.  Initially, despite trying to RP as best I knew how, I was coming off as a twink who was skillmaxing.  My clan leader at the time called me on it OOCly in not so polite terms, and you know what?  It was probably one of the best things that could happened to me, and I'm still appreciative to this day.  After I started to shape up, he saw the improvement and complimented me for it, which went even further to addict me to the game.

The point is, sometimes its necessary to be a little cruel or rigid to be kind in the end.  I think it can be a valuable tool to train newer players into the kick ass RP'ers everyone strives to become.  As I recall from the old description of Armageddon: "If you think someone was harsh or cruel to you, you are probably right."

As I stated though, I didn't find Rindan's post all that harsh or offensive, and if by some stretch it was, it was not unduly so.

Just some food for thought, really.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

I thought I should add:  By allowing everything to go, or by treating possible problems as all right, you are doing others a disservice.  Without someone even pointing out that there is a possible problem, in any area, nothing ever changes, and problems (percieved or otherwise) may go uncorrected.  Furthermore, by ignoring it or treating it as fine, anyone who might exhibit problemed behavior might not just think that their actions are adequate, but might come to think that they are something beyond adequate.

Sure, we could all use a dose of politeness and manners now and then, but lets not overly fault someone for confronting a possible problem which can be to the benefit of everyone involved, rather than simply letting it slide past.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

I gotta agree with Fedaykin here, after rereading Rindan's post that was *hardly* a flame.

And nobody seems to notice Rindan's point that this same person posted to another thread which deals with this exact same topic.

Was it gentle?  No.  Was it harsh?  No.

It was forthright and clear.  Exactly what others are being asked to attempt.

QuoteBy allowing everything to go, or by treating possible problems as all right, you are doing others a disservice.

Yeah, kinda like when you point out that someone's got a booger hanging out of their nose. They'll give a look like it's the rudest thing in the world, but it's better that it's taken care of than allowed to go seen and snickered at by everyone else. I'm a better friend for pointing that out, aren't I?

Personally, I applaud Rindan's confrontation of this apparent (though inevitable) problem with some of our presumably newer players.

I'm going to agree with Rindan.  If a person seriously wants an idea considered, it helps to have that idea presented in a way which clearly puts it forth.  Good grammar helps in doing this.  If I were an immortal here, and I saw a post like that, I would ignore it.  I know that, because I have been in that position elsewhere, and ignored posts which made no attempt to make them clear or use decent grammar.  I did this because in general, people who do not take the time to use good grammar also didn't take time to fully flesh out the idea in their minds, take into account balance in the game world in relation to their idea, or use good judgement when coming up with an idea rather than letting themselves just suggest what they thought was "cool".  Because of this, I think it would behoove anyone who wanted their ideas considered to at least attempt some semblence of sticking to the rules of English grammar, to the best of their ability.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I agree, the post was poorly written. Rindan's dropped the same crap on another thread or two, and created his own. Now he's just crusading against it, and that's bothering me. If you don't like someone's typing, ignore it. Most of us didn't start out typing like we do now. It was a learning curve, and god forbid someone else be trying to learn. Have some tolerance and stop being a jerk.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I'm closing this thread before it gets any further out of proportion.  If the original poster would like to look a little further I think they'll find there is a -good- thread on the same point elsewhere.  If the question is still unanswered, feel free to repost it as the start of a new thread, but realize that you're likely to get responses which show as much effort put into them as you show in your initial question.  Ergo, the more readable a post is, the more likely you'll get a thorough response -- this goes not only for responding players, but also for myself as a member of staff.

Thanks,

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]