Newbie Land!!

Started by I, June 17, 2005, 10:57:04 PM

Should there be a "Newbie Land" created?

Yes.
4 (8.7%)
No.
42 (91.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: June 22, 2005, 10:57:04 PM

I was checking out some other muds recently, and they all have like a thing when your character first gets in the game where there are 'instructors' who will aid you with commands like talking, movement, combat etc. Maybe something similar could be implemented to the Hall of Kings? Just that you can point to the newbie place and from there, you can get help and then proceed to you starting town, just thinking this could lower the amount of newbs asking for help OOC during the game.

Yes or no?
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

This has come up before.  I summon Delirium the thread queen to find the previous threads detailing all the ways this wouldn't work for Armageddon.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I'm not sure this is really needed.
After all, you can always just drop a line to one of the Helpers and they'll give you all the information you'll need.

www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.html
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Yes, as stated, the Helpers have been organized for a reason.

Use us.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I have always been in favor of having not a "newbie land" but a place where players could go prior to their first application being approved (and perhaps after, actdually) with a standard character "the tall man, the tall woman and do things that one does in a city....and maybe even get instruction in the game.

To be truthful, though, when I was new to mudding I only went to the schools for initial skill boosts and not to learn anything, so I'm not really sure iif it would be used much.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

There are plenty of help files that explain what commands there are and how they work.  http://www.armageddon.org/intro/quickstart.html mentions a few of them, and http://www.armageddon.org/help/index_frames.html has a complete listing of help files.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I always hated having to go through these, and usually just said screw it and left, I say if you do, make it an option, but at that, don't do it. I liked the harshness when I was a newb and played my longest lived char as a newb who was around 20 days and had been in two clans and a loner all in that time frame.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.