<skill> -f

Started by Larrath, June 17, 2005, 01:40:03 PM

>skill -f magick
Your magick skills are now halved.
>skill -f magick
You'll use your magick skills at your best.
>skill -f crafting
Your crafting skills are now halved.
Bla bla.. Making every skill changeable would be too hard and, hard to use. To suck up at fighting you'd have to turn off a few skills at once anyway. Making all suck or rock with a trigger wouldn't work, too. You would start blubbering during the guarding mission suddenly. So, the skills are already grouped. The groups can be used.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Necromancering this thread in hopes it gets implemented.
The original suggestion, not what Cenghiz suggested.

Putting -f on a one-use skill (such as kick or steal) would make it fail automatically or at least make it nearly impossible for it to fail.
Putting -f on a toggle skill (sneak, change language) would make the skill work at 1/3 of the percentage its owner has it in, so 100% sneak would turn to 34%.

With crafting and forage, it will bring automatic failure after a regular time delay.

With the Kill command, the attacker will be fighting at about half their offense, defense and weapon-skills, but also make it much harder for anyone fighting the character to improve in any skills at all while fighting.  This will help strong characters hold back to pretend they suck or simply not kill the recruits.

Using -f will completely skip the skill branching or improvement checks.

Of course, just having this added for any of the above versions at all would absolutely rock.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Yeah, this really is an incredibly awesome idea.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

I like this as well.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"I don't know how feasible this would be to implement and I really don't care to speculate.  If it can be done, it should be.

I'd go a step further and say that instead of making you automatically fail, it merely makes your skill act as though it was at a much lower level.  Maybe typing in -f would subtract 20 or 30 or 40 or whatever number would significantly detract from your ability to succeed.

Because the way I see it, if you've spent fifty years being a ninja, you're so good that you might end up sneaking around successfully even if you ARE trying to look like a bumbling novice.

I think if it can be done, to have at least probably two commands:

<skill> -f = Makes you absolutely horrible at it again.

<skill> -h= Makes you at half your current skill.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

This is not a new idea on some MUDs and I am surprised it doesn't exist on arm, I'm all for it being added.

cybersex -f!

Quote from: "Tuannon"This is not a new idea on some MUDs and I am surprised it doesn't exist on arm, I'm all for it being added.

cybersex -f!

>(hp/HP)(mm/MM)(ss/SS)
Your skill at sex is already at a horrible level.

:twisted:
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I love the idea, but I'm not sure what Larrath is proposing. If I'm correct, you just type

-f

then the next skill you enter is an automatic, or relative fail?

If not, well, I like this idea better. It makes me feel like I'm contributing. :D
quote="Naiona"]I don't know nothing 'bout birthin' no muls, Miss Scarlet!  I don't know nothing![/quote]

I am all for it. Gives me an excuse for failing.  :shock:
Briar

And the Nonman King cried words that sting:
"Now to me you must confess,
For death above you hovers!"
And the Emissary answered ever wary:
"We are the race of flesh,
We are the race of lovers."
     -"Ballad of the Inchoroi"

Larrath for King.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Can't we just emote a failure and trust the other guy to play along?
*ponder*
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Thumbs Up!!

I like it.   :lol:
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote from: "moab"Can't we just emote a failure and trust the other guy to play along?
First of all, sadly the fact is that this can't always be done.  Second, sometimes when you fail a crafting job you'll be given a different object.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Maybe if you were to make the command toggled, and incorporated into various skills.

toggle sneak f
(auto fail)
toggle sneak n
(normal)
toggle kick f
(auto fail)
toggle kick n
(normal)

or more simply

toggle sneak
You are now intentionally sneaking badly.
toggle sneak
You now sneak like ninja master!
toggle kick
You now kick like 60 year old man with joint problems.
toggle kick
You now kick like ninja master!

As far as I can see, that'd sum every skill on your list with an easy to use command.  And perhaps, for safety issues have it to where default after logging out.

Thoughts?
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.