<skill> -f

Started by Larrath, June 17, 2005, 01:40:03 PM

Basically, a way for people to botch their skills whenever they need to.  That templar is making your merchant make the most elaborate earring in the world?  Well, oops!

Someone wants you to sneak across somewhere and you want to pretend you can't sneak so you can surprise them later?

Hell, want to speak a language very poorly?  Change language Tatlum -f;say Nope, don't speak Tatlum.  Not me.

Want to spar with someone and look like you're heavily into it?  disarm -f, kick -f, bash -f.

Whenever -f is used, there will be no chance of getting better at the skill, since it's an intentional messup.

Discuss.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Support.
Veteran Newbie

I love it.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

This idea is awesome.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Yeah, there've been a lot of suggestions for qays to allow us to fake being bad at whatever thing, and it's a great idea.  The only question is implementation.  A command flag seems like a difficult way to go about it because of the different ways skills work.  Sneak, for example, is a toggle, so using sneak with the flag would have to put you into a brand new coded state, fake-sneaking.  Same with languages.  You're not speaking tatlum, you're speaking faketatlum.  Guard would be similar but perhaps even more complicated (although being able to pretend to guard someone poorly would be a very welcome skill that would open up a lot of possible scenarios).   So, the implementation would have to be specific to every skill, but it would provide a lot of possibilities.

Also, some skills are automatic, like dual wield, shield use, weapon skills, etc.  It would seem odd if you're trashing your Sergeant with your blades but somehow tumble onto your face every time you try a simple bash.

A simple value or a toggle that would affect all your skills checks might be easier, but also raises questions.  What about sirihish, that's a skill.  Most characters wouldn't have a reason to fake not speaking it, but desert elves and other tribals might.  Also, if it just affects skill checks blindly, it could hinder listening as well, and listening to other people's conversations might be the whole reason you want to pretend not to know the language.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea, this is just random musing on what the final form might look like from someone who's never seen the code.

You could have it so that your skills revert to 0 success, ending up with newbielike results. Kinda like nosave, eh? Except it would be hard singling it down to only one skill...I think.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

I hate it..... because it wasn't my idea :x but I love it. great idea.

I think it would be more akin to combining a skill with nosave. Of course the coders would have to poke around to see the most efficient implementation, but we -do- have the nosave command which forces us to fail climbing and subduing and other assorted things - so maybe a command like - noskill <skill>

Would attach a temporary nosave to a specific skill until you toggle it back (or maybe until you toggle it -or- until your PC is disconnected, whichever comes first)

I dunno - it just really like the idea, as ideas go.

Quote from: "Rhyden"Excellent idea.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I don't know how feasible this would be to implement and I really don't care to speculate.  If it can be done, it should be.

I'd go a step further and say that instead of making you automatically fail, it merely makes your skill act as though it was at a much lower level.  Maybe typing in -f would subtract 20 or 30 or 40 or whatever number would significantly detract from your ability to succeed.

Because the way I see it, if you've spent fifty years being a ninja, you're so good that you might end up sneaking around successfully even if you ARE trying to look like a bumbling novice.
Back from a long retirement

Damned good idea Larrath.

Wonderful idea. *thumbs up*
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I give this the official stamp of "Fucking Bomb Shit"
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

What malifaxis said.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Put it in, awesome idea.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

I am in full support of this idea.

Not only would it help people who want to fake and have fun,
it can also be used for roleplaying. Even the best crafters in the world mess up sometimes, but the code sometimes wouldn't allow that. So having -f would keep everything realistic.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Seems like a good idea to me.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Yeah, I like the idea. You could make it work like nosave, but for more skills than climb, etc.

And you could take climb OUT of nosave. Please.

Seeing as how it's a skill.. I think that'd be a good idea, that way you can run, but if you get caught you're caught, but it doesn't mean you can't go hopping rooftops until then.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Quote from: "Delirium"And you could take climb OUT of nosave. Please.

DITTO!
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

You could make it so that when you put the -f after the skill it only gives the room echoes and it doesn't hit the lines of code that actually do anything. So you could use something like 'go to' that skip right to the room echoes or just put in a lot of 'if/then' statements and copy/paste the echoes in. Yes, no?

Love this idea, btw.
Fear not death, for it is your destiny.

Quote from: "Sholdyn"You could make it so that when you put the -f after the skill it only gives the room echoes and it doesn't hit the lines of code that actually do anything. So you could use something like 'go to' that skip right to the room echoes or just put in a lot of 'if/then' statements and copy/paste the echoes in. Yes, no?

Love this idea, btw.

No.  It won't look the same if the delays are different or if the crafting object doesn't get ruined.

Thanks. :)
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Additional generic "I like this idea" comment, Larrath!
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."