Adulthood Age?

Started by Gaare, June 10, 2005, 01:45:19 AM

In many middle-eastern cultures people are considered as adult around fourteen or fifteen.  In ancient days.. I suppose much earlier then that...

What about in Zalanthas? Do you consider a thirteen years old human as a child or as an adult?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

A small, somewhat inexperienced adult.

Much more self-centered and often more impulsive in personal and social affairs, perhaps a touch less cautious, less world-wise than a full adult, and horny as a rutting mek on warspice.

Depends on the character.
Generally, my characters tend to see earlier to mid-teens (up to seventeen or so) as young adults.  As far as Zalanthas goes, I once had a thirteen year old refused from joining Tor, so my guess would be that the regular adulthood age is somewhere around sixteen.

It varies a lot though, some fourteen year olds can be more mature than seventeen year olds, and some characters might decide that an adult is someone who lives alone, or got laid once, or earns 'sid to buy their own water, or just lived over ten years.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I think...

In the rinth, you are adult when you are 13.

I think nobles should get that like 6-7 years later.
some of my posts are serious stuff

You're an adult when you can do things the adults around you do.

For 99% of the population of Zalanthas, that means menial labor and the ability to have children.

I'd put adulthood at 13-15.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I think people always confuse being a child and having a childhood.  
QuoteMuch more self-centered and often more impulsive in personal and social affairs, perhaps a touch less cautious, less world-wise than a full adult, and horny as a rutting mek on warspice.
This is what it means to be a child, and regardless of how well one can play being mature, all children will be like this.  Codewise, I believe childhood lasts for quite awhile.  I say this not only based on stats, but the fact that people would be able to –v a character and determine if the character looks or doesn't look youthful.

It's true however, that not all young people will have much of a childhood (that is a time of innocence before being forced to accept adult responsibility).  I'm always of the rule that having a childhood is partly the family (some families will want to protect, others will not) and money.  If a family has money, they don't need the child to grow up so fast.  It should be noted, part of the human need for survival is to protect the young.

Finally, there is playability.  I think it's ridicules to have a starting age so young if people do not want to play the role of a child.  This is like creating an elderly character and playing like their bones don't ache in the morning (poor RP imho).  People who start that young should do so to play the role of a child.  Therefore, others around them need to act as though that PC is a child.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: "Delirium"A small, somewhat inexperienced adult.

Agreed,
Undeveloped as well.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.