Idea: Format for submitting custom-made items

Started by Incognito, June 02, 2005, 04:02:03 PM

I was thinkin about how cool it was, a few years back, when we had so many custom-made items floating around, for various reasons.

Notwithstanding the ever-expanding database issue, I would like to propose the following:

An online format for submitting a custom-made item, for staff approval, just like how we apply/create characters, from the main mud menu, (which can be linked to an OLC script to auto-generate items which are approved for custom-creation.)

I am hoping this might ease the load on the staff, who are forced to write, modify, and cut/paste a lotta crap, to create custom-made items. It will also avoid the entire emailing back and forth issue, and probably help keep a better track and record of custom-made items. As and when possible, the staff might approve/reject/modify the custom-made items. I am sure it goes without saying that these will remain a "low priority" issue, as they currently are.

The format *might* include the following (but not limited to):
Your Account name:

Name of staff member (in case this item is being created for a specific clan): So that the application may be reviewed by the appropriate staff member.

Name of item:

Keywords:

Maindesc:

Sdesc:

Wear location (s): (Select from menu)

Materials used in item:

Craftable (Y/N) - If Y - list of ingredients.

Approximate cost:

Item most akin to: (This would be an important short-cut for the player as well as the staff, basically allowing the player to tell the staff that he's trying to create a new item with similar stats to an already-existing item.) It'll help specially for items which need special scripts duplicated.

Extra Details: (Would include a brief write-up if the item is being made for a specific person, or for a specific house, and any other relevant details the person might want the staff to know about the item, i.e. This item is being created for Lord XYZ of House ABC, as a gift. It is not to be loaded for anyone else without prior permission of <insert staff member who handles clan ABC>. Or something like; this item is being made for shopkeeper UVW in Allanak....etc etc.)

Something along the lines of:

You may:
    (C) Disconnect from character      (V) Toggle ANSI/VT100 mode    
    (B) Toggle 'brief' menus               (D) Documentation menu        
    (M) Mail menu                             (S) Stats of your character  
    (E) Enter Zalanthas                      (X) Exit Armageddon          
    (?) Read menu options                 (I) Apply for a customized item

Armageddon is OPEN.

Choose they fate: I
Items belonging to your account:
1) A black-leather back-sheath - Rejected
2) A set of steel-plate-mail armor - Rejected
3) A blue-fletched, obsidian-tipped arrow - Approved
4) An ebon-black earring of translucent glass - Currently applying
5) A hawk-carved incense burner - Currently applying
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Needless to say, the staff should have the option to toggle an Account's ability to submit custom-made items in the first place, so they dont have some bozo applying for: a kank turd, a huge pile of mekillot shit etc.

(continued from the previous post):

Choose they fate: I

Note: You are currently not allowed to create custom items. If you feel that you require to submit a custom made item, please contact the Staff at: mud@armageddon.org. Please allow 4-6 weeks for a reply to your request.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

That is a damn fine idea.  One of the best I have ever seen on any board, any where, for anything.  Ever.  Wow.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Why is no one commenting on this thread?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

No comprende.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

I like it a lot. Email the MUD and lets see what the staff has to say about it.

Although, you know, with the new HTML coding that is now intergrated in same respects into the game, it could just automatically toggle once you reach a certian overall skill as well.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Current stated policy is to allow new submissions from players to enter the game only if they are requested under the staff's listed projects page, or under the specific exceptions for players running a master craftsman.

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11145&highlight=policy
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I'm confused as to whether those policies are still in effect or not.  That message said it was for a three month trial.  When that was over, there was a thread about feedback, but I don't recall that any permanent policy change was announced.   (It's entirely possible that there was an announcement and I missed it.  If so, and anyone has a link, that would be appreciated.)
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

The policies are irrelevant.  This system could be used for -any- submissions, not just custom ones.

I've been slack and didn't spot this nice thread earlier... so let's bump it a bit:

Also, I think it'd be neat to have a smiliar thing for other kinds of submissions. NPCs, rooms etc... I imagine it'd save a lot of time for the staff. Of course, the Imms would toggle this on and off, the idea is something like: The player emails the Immortal that he wants to submit NPC, says why and gives the most basic concept. If the Imm likes it, he toggles it on for the player's account, letting him submit one (only one) NPC. And so on...

Obviously, there's the problem with NPC's or room equipment, because I don't think the staff would be willing to let us have access to the items database  :wink: . That would still have to be done manually by the staffer, the player would be just able to give his ideas etc. Still, seems like much less work for Immortals, and makes it easier for us players as well.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.