Encouraging newcomers.

Started by Mook, May 30, 2005, 05:03:55 PM

I believe, from observation, that many new players who sign on for the first time in the Gaj look around, and due to the Allanaki p-base being focused in the Bard's Barrel, find no rp, go link dead and are never heard from again.  

Would it be more encouraging for these newcomers to appear in the Barrel, where they are more likely to see what Arm is like?
Murder your darlings.

Probably.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

And that would be easier to explain. Just blame it on the northerner's mind tricks, causing all kinds of people to get lost in a city they have grown up in.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Maybe42or54
QuoteAnd that would be easier to explain. Just blame it on the northerner's mind tricks, causing all kinds of people to get lost in a city they have grown up in.
...What?
Mook wrote:
QuoteWould it be more encouraging for these newcomers to appear in the Barrel, where they are more likely to see what Arm is like?
Bah! Arm is not really like the fancy Barrel! If you want them to see Zalanthas as it really is, then drop them in Gaj, where there's shit on the floor, vomit on the tables, strippers on the stage, and a free rat carcass with every steak.
Whoa. Sorry. It's seems I might've accidentally channeled the spirit of one of my dead Bynner characters. Anyway... yes, it seems the Barrel has become more popular as of late. And while I personally find that to be unfortunate, I agree with you, Mook, that maybe this simple change would help to retain some newbies.
Maybe.
Personally, if I was a newbie, I might be a little intimidated dropping into the busiest place in town. Wouldn't you want to get out of your newbie clothes first? Have you ever tried another MUD, and as soon as you entered, you were assailed with "Welcome to Midgaard!" messages, offers for recruitment, snatches of over-heard conversation, and innane chatter over the OOC channel? A busy tavern might appeal to some newbs, but perhaps not to others.
Anyways, I will agree with you that switching the starting location from the Gaj to the Barrel might make things easier for newbies.
Of course, it'd be a lot easier if people just started going to the Gaj again, you silk-wearing catamite-wannabe wussies...
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

It took my 4 day playing time to notice there is tavern called Bard's Barrel... Meanwhile I was not playing someone middle-class ... so Gaj was a better choice.

And for newbies.. If a player is that lazy for even visiting bazaar and spend starting coins and buy a bone longsword... There is little chance ARM addiction virus will affect her..
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

I'm in favor of this idea.  Almost invariably, a new player will be told that they need to find the Barrel.  And they either find the Barrel or they find the Magicker's Quarter, or the 'rinth, or the desert, or nothing at all and they leave.

The problem is that yes, the Barrel doesn't exactly feel as gritty and smelly and filthy as the Gaj does, and it might start off newbies with a different impression.
Maybe if the Barrel had a small face lift?
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

There are -skulls- on the wall, foreigners and elves performing!  I think the coded Barrel is gritty enough, maybe we just need more brawls and rude people.

Edit:  Any staffers think this is useful and worth the trouble?
Murder your darlings.

Yes, there are skulls on the walls and all the tables and unsteady and scarred and painted with faded, ugly colors.
But it doesn't have cockroaches.  It doesn't have vomiting patrons that get dragged out by mercenaries.  It doesn't have rats.
It doesn't even have a farting half-giant!  I mean, come on!
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I've noticed a massive increase in Gaj activity over the past few weeks. For brand new players and old crusties alike, the Gaj is once again a bumping place to roleplay, idle, whatever. Besides, as was said before: the gritty feeling of the Barrel doesn't come through for me like it does in the Gaj.

My first Armageddon memories are centered around the Gaj, and the special relationship my first characters held with the place. The Barrel is just another place, to me.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I agree WP.

First impressions count. The Gaj is far more the norm than the poncy Barrel, isn't it?

Gaare wrote:

QuoteAnd for newbies.. If a player is that lazy for even visiting bazaar and spend starting coins and buy a bone longsword... There is little chance ARM addiction virus will affect her..

Wrong!

Is the Sanctuary the "norm" for the North then?

JGG mentioned this to me once, and I think it makes sense.  If new PCs start out in the Firestorm pub rather than the Sanctuary when they pick Tuluk in the hall of kings, they are closer to the market.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

P.S.  If you prefer one tavern over another, but unfortunately it's not The Joint at the moment, just hang out there.  If you idle, they will come.

Just run into the Barrel, say how they are all Betraying Him by being in the Spy's tavern, or you mean Bard's barrel, right?

Then just keep that attitude up, they'll move onto the gaj or the trader's.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Quote from: "Gorobei"If you idle, they will come.

Heh. It's so true.

Just to clarify - the one and ONLY tavern worth chilling out in, on Zalanthas was, is and always will be Trader's Inn.
Nuff said.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

No way.

The coolest tavern to chill in is too IC for me to say on the GDB.  :twisted:

the coolest tavern is mansa's patio.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Incognito"Just to clarify - the one and ONLY tavern worth chilling out in, on Zalanthas was, is and always will be Trader's Inn.
Nuff said.

Word.
Back from a long retirement