Damaged weapons

Started by Revelations, May 17, 2005, 02:45:22 PM

Has anyone had the experience in game of a weapon getting chipped or damaged over time? Wouldn't that be realistic considering how fragile obsidian or bone might be over time? I'd like to see weapons get worn down similar to armor, and at a much quicker rate. Same with armor. It almost feels as if armor lasts as long as normal clothes...which is forever with the current code. Anyone agree?

...Has this topic dealing with weapons been already mentioned? I wasn't able to find any threads from a brief search.  :wink:
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

I would love to see that.  Actually there were some suggestions like that before.  I suggested the increase of the chance of weapons' being broken.  So far, nearly two years of playing, I only have seen one weapon being broken.. Oh..No two.  But the second one was really fragile.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Revelations"Has anyone had the experience in game of a weapon getting chipped or damaged over time? Wouldn't that be realistic considering how fragile obsidian or bone might be over time? I'd like to see weapons get worn down similar to armor, and at a much quicker rate. Same with armor. It almost feels as if armor lasts as long as normal clothes...which is forever with the current code. Anyone agree?

...Has this topic dealing with weapons been already mentioned? I wasn't able to find any threads from a brief search.  :wink:

Would make those items designed to repair such damage actually usefull..............   Near as I can tell the only thing that (excluding magik) ever gets damaged are shields...
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

In over two years of playing I know I have shattered five or six weapons myself.  I think it would be on of those times when reality should be sacrificed for playability.  I think it is fine the way it is now.  Just my two cents.

Waroth

QuoteIn over two years of playing I know I have shattered five or six weapons myself. I think it would be on of those times when reality should be sacrificed for playability. I think it is fine the way it is now. Just my two cents.

Not me. I want my weapon to break or crack or splinter and have to toss it aside and go scrambling for some body and grab up a weapon that I probably don't know how to use as well just so I can rejoin the fight or stave off death a moment longer. I also want to have to go seeking out that guy who can patch up that favorite weapon of mine or try patching it up myself. Or have to shell out some hard earned coins to buy a new, maybe more sturdy weapon. Masochistic? I say good times!
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

Yeah, I think weapons should break much more. I've only broken one or two in the time I've played. And it was cool when it did happen.
Veteran Newbie

I wouldn't mind it, but I would expect to see weapon prices to drop considerably in order to counterbalance this.

All in all, I'm neutral.
ust takin'er easy fer all'em sinners out there...

I think it should all depend on the weapon.  If you are using obsidian? Yeah it should break a lot more.  But bone? Or stone weapons? Those are a lot more solid then the glassy obsidian, and I think to have a bone or stone weapon shatter you need to be hitting something fierce.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Well, I didn't actually mean break completely. There's plenty of threads for that. What I ment was become damaged as armor do. So the obsidian longsword that you have go from new to scratched to chipped and eventually break. There could be chances of it breaking completely during any of these states, but a gradual process would be abit more realistic, eh? I also mentioned speeding up the damage process on armor, since they last quite a long time without needing alot of repair. It would make weaponmakers and armorcrafters alot more valuable, not to mention more bussiness for Salarr, who I feel the PC's have simply vanished somewhere...
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Thats a really cool idea.. I'd love to see a 'Gleaming Sun Sword' become a 'Chipped Sun Sword' into a 'Cracked Sun Sword' on down to a 'Half Sword' :-P
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

I've both broken and seen ALOT of weapons get broken.

I think it's fine as it is. I'd get really annoyed from an OOC standpoint if I was playing a combat-oriented pc and it happened more. I would like them to show wear whether or not the chance is increased. That way, it is more realistic that when a weapon gets in poor shape you get it fixed or replaced -before- it breaks.

Quote from: "RunningMountain"I think it should all depend on the weapon.  If you are using obsidian? Yeah it should break a lot more.  But bone? Or stone weapons? Those are a lot more solid then the glassy obsidian, and I think to have a bone or stone weapon shatter you need to be hitting something fierce.

From a previous role, involving the knowledge of many arms, I can tell you that most stone weapons are somewhat useless and break many-a-time.

*Shrug, just a useful tidbit.

Maybe if its a small stone weapon, like a knife, but big stone clubs and hammers? I think they'd be pretty solid when wrapped in leathers and such.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"Maybe if its a small stone weapon, like a knife, but big stone clubs and hammers? I think they'd be pretty solid when wrapped in leathers and such.

True. But if you have a heavy stone weapons clashing against one another, they're gonna be some breakage.

Three of my weapons have shattered.
It is funny because they each shattered less than an OOC week after I bought them from a PC Agent in a house, or from an NPC seller.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

This issue was talked a few times and I still do believe, the weapons should shatter more depending on the material they are made of.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

I think that more weapon damage will yield for cooler combat scenes. Like...say one guy disarms another guy, but his weapon cracks in two? Now they're facing each other...is the first guy gonna try for a punch in the jaw or is he gonna try and nab the other guy's weapon? Is the second guy going to make a grab for his, or try and kick the other guy in the nuts so he can get some time to re-arm himself?
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.