Tips for landing and enjoying a sponsored role

Started by Vanth, April 30, 2005, 05:42:17 PM

So you want to be a templar, noble, or merchant house family member?  Here's a few tips from an immortal perspective that I've gained since I came on staff.

Before you start:
--Get experience.  Very few people can play these roles without experience of the gameworld.  If you've never played in Tuluk you won't have the understanding of Tuluki politics necessary to play a noble there.  If you've never played a magicker or a combat character you might miss out on a lot of possibilities when playing a Nakki templar.  If you don't know the difference between a rapier and a scimitar you'll have trouble in Salarr.

The application process:
--Send a polite email to the imm(s) advertising positions.  Include your account name, GDB name, and a brief synopsis of your most memorable or long lived characters, especially if the experience gives you insight into the role you're applying for.  I.e. if you played a long-lived noble guard for an Allanaki noble house, you probably have some insight into Nakki politics and nobility.
--If you know there are bad notes on your account, discuss them up front.  Explain the circumstances and what you've learned since then.
--If you have a concept already thought out, include a brief synopsis of it.  Be willing to be flexible; some adjustments to your concept may be necessary.
--When working up a concept, create a character, not a gimmick.  Like any other role, these special roles will be more enjoyable if you have character quirks rather than something that sounds really cool but doesn't have any depth.  Concentrate on personality.  Create a character that makes sense within the world, rather than the mutant sorceror noble.
--Ask questions.  If you're ever unsure about something, ask.

The playing process:
--Before you start playing, read the clan documentation on the website and the GDB.  Read it again.  Read it again.  As a member of this family you've grown up knowing most or all of this stuff, so know it.
--If you have goals for your character, discuss them in email with your imm(s) as they come up.  Discuss them with your NPC superiors when you meet with them.  Again, be willing to be flexible.
--If you don't have goals, and are bored, ask your imms/bosses for tasks.  We can't tell if you're bored unless you say so.  We can help make things interesting.
--Keep your imms updated, on everything of importance.  Include the unimportant stuff if you want.  
--Involve other PCs.  You've been entrusted with a role that requires interaction at the very least, and preferably leadership.  Talk to people.  Bribe people.  Hire people.  Make friends.  Make enemies.
--Don't box in other players.  If you hire someone, make use of them, don't just leave them on their own.  Check in with them, interact with them.  Oppress them or encourage them.  You'll find they're less likely to disappear or die stupidly that way.
--Consider the big picture.  You're not the head of your house.  You're the overworked entry-level lackey of your organization to start with.  You're one among hundreds (or at least dozens) in the same position.  Be ambitious: you've got a long way to go.

When things go wrong:
--Don't take it personally.  It's not a failure, it's a learning experience.  Nobody plays these roles perfectly.  Everyone stumbles at some point.
--If other players are making veiled criticism of your role on the GDB, just remember that they're not in your shoes and if they think it's so easy they can apply for the job.  
--If obstacles are placed in your path ICly, either try to find a way around them or work on something else.  Ask your imms for suggestions.
--Communicate with your imms if you're not happy with your role.  Most of us aren't mindbenders, so we need you to tell us.
--Don't just disappear.  Try to find a way to make things work.  I keep saying to be flexible because I think that's the key to these roles.  Don't paint yourself into a corner.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: "Vanth"--Don't just disappear.  Try to find a way to make things work.  I keep saying to be flexible because I think that's the key to these roles.  Don't paint yourself into a corner.

What is the meaning of 'flexible' here? If you are referring to playing times, do you have any advice for players of highly political roles who are cornered with the same 3 hours every day at off peak?

I've dealt with a fair share of off-peak players in these types of roles.  It's something to mention up-front, but shouldn't be an obstacle for most roles.

I'm referring more to the syndrome of nobles, templars, and merchant house family that get this great idea of something to do that doesn't end up working out, then they get discouraged and stop logging in.

I think this should be archived at some point.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

wat does paint urself into a corner mean
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Imagine doing it yourself. You paint the floor of a room and start at the door, and end in the opposite corner. And now you can't get out of the room without ruining the paintjob and your socks at the same time. That's painting yourself into a corner.
ugar and Spice

Quote from: "Manhattan"wat does paint urself into a corner mean

Basically, don't focus so much on one pet project that you end up not being able to have fun with your role.

It is good advice: I did this with my last sponsored role and managed to completely ruin my own enjoyment.

If you're "stuck" at fixed playing times, try focusing on the players who log in when you do.  Often I find these players stressing about never matching playing times with character X or Y (or staff A or B) and they fall apart.  I'm not pretending that it's easy, but my point is you've got to make the most of what you -do- have.  Either you'll be able to develop activities and interest within your own playing times, or you'll make yourself known enough that people will move THEIR playing times to match yours for special occasions.

Personally I have no problem with taking on players for those types of roles who play at wonky times, so long as they play fairly regularly, realize we might not see one another in-game very often, and are able to find a way to simply stay entertained enough within their role to continue.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Quote from: "jhunter"I think this should be archived at some point.

Just a bump and a smile. :D
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

I tend to ponder why this is being posted. Is it because the recent recycling of these sponsered roles that everyone knows about? Everytime I see a new post in staff announcements for some clan, I don't even look at it anymore, it's obvious that some wrong choices are being made, and I doubt these tips are going to do much to change that.

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

*bad attempt at humor removed*
storrie: Stay out of the rinth. It is dangerous.
jstorrie: IC INFORMATION!~!
jstorrie: You will get ultrapk'd.
jstorrie: There are no buildings in the rinth. Everything is made out of tall, cloaked figures with knives. You will die.

Oh so wait...thats like, a bad idea? Shit...oops.

edit: Drunken attempts at humor aside, honestly, I see why this is posted, and as a helper I apprechiate it.

I've had some newbies IM me asking about roles...applying....sponsered. I tell most, yes, go ahead and try a special app.

Give them naiona's email, tell them to most of all be polite, describe not only their character, but also their concept quite well, and send them on their way by saying that while trying is fine, I doubt they'll meet with sucess.
-but- I shoudl be sending them to this webpage. In fact at this moment I'm going to bookmark it, and send it to them. This IS a useful post. It's common sense, but also clear about things.

Vanth, good post. This is even a canidate for archiving (with possible editing and deletion of 'attempts at humor' posts) ;)
storrie: Stay out of the rinth. It is dangerous.
jstorrie: IC INFORMATION!~!
jstorrie: You will get ultrapk'd.
jstorrie: There are no buildings in the rinth. Everything is made out of tall, cloaked figures with knives. You will die.

Quote from: "RunningMountain"I tend to ponder why this is being posted. Is it because the recent recycling of these sponsered roles that everyone knows about? Everytime I see a new post in staff announcements for some clan, I don't even look at it anymore, it's obvious that some wrong choices are being made, and I doubt these tips are going to do much to change that.

I can't find it, but I remember something similar that was posted not too long ago.   If I remember correctly, the response was that the turnover in sponsored roles is mainly due to PC deaths and the like, and not indicative of people being wrong for the roles.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Ah I see, but what is the point of playing it then?
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"Ah I see, but what is the point of playing it then?

Because people want to?
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Or people, like myself, need a stepping stone to get more karma to play the one goal in life that noone but myself and my buddy James Daniels thinks I am capable of? Maybe, just maybe, if we deal with the races and guilds we don't want to try, enough, they'll let us get by without playing those?

Perhaps I saw a noble or 10 that I said I can roleplay better than. Now, instead of being all balls, I am going to use my cock and attack those thoughts with a full on brigade.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Halaster"
Quote from: "RunningMountain"Ah I see, but what is the point of playing it then?

Because people want to?

Right, but not everyone is dying, obviously, I have talked to people who got the role and retired the next day, or a week later.  I'm not stupid. So simply wrong decisions are being made, it's not the players fault like this thread might suggest.

-RM

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Or people, like myself, need a stepping stone to get more karma to play the one goal in life that noone but myself and my buddy James Daniels thinks I am capable of? Maybe, just maybe, if we deal with the races and guilds we don't want to try, enough, they'll let us get by without playing those?

Perhaps I saw a noble or 10 that I said I can roleplay better than. Now, instead of being all balls, I am going to use my cock and attack those thoughts with a full on brigade.

Getting karma is like one of those rubix cubes, everytime you think you might have it, it gets either taken suddenly from a wrong turn or decision and you can never get it back.

-RM

Quote from: "RunningMountain"
Quote from: "Halaster"

Because people want to?

Right, but not everyone is dying, obviously, I have talked to people who got the role and retired the next day, or a week later.  I'm not stupid. So simply wrong decisions are being made, it's not the players fault like this thread might suggest.

-RM

My original post was not meant to suggest that anyone was "at fault" for retiring a leadership character, but merely to provide alternatives should people wish to do something other than give up without a fight.

Quote from: "RunningMountain"
Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Or people, like myself, need a stepping stone to get more karma to play the one goal in life that noone but myself and my buddy James Daniels thinks I am capable of? Maybe, just maybe, if we deal with the races and guilds we don't want to try, enough, they'll let us get by without playing those?

Getting karma is like one of those rubix cubes, everytime you think you might have it, it gets either taken suddenly from a wrong turn or decision and you can never get it back.

-RM

That's not true.  Karma is never permanently revoked, unless of course you get banned, and even that's not always permanent.

You always have the opportunity to regain trust and karma, and many people do.

I don't want this thread to be cluttered, can someone lock it? We can discuss the karma issue on the other thread that was started.

dude my role was retired because i wasnt playing enough. i got pissed but wtv. sponsored roles are hard playing to please. i wish i could just play for myself
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Quote from: "Manhattan"dude my role was retired because i wasnt playing enough. i got pissed but wtv. sponsored roles are hard playing to please. i wish i could just play for myself

You can. Just don't special app for a role in a leadership position, or in a role which the staff is looking for someone to play specifically, or get yourself into a role which requires you to be a leader (like a Byn Sergeant, or a similar position).

Nothing is more annoying than to go through the trouble to recruit players to your special role, take the time to set up the character, and then find that your player has decided to never log in again. Doing that is not only unfair to the Staff, but its unfair to the other players who also applied for the role.

Do not apply for a role unless you are serious about playing it. We may be playing this game for fun...but its just rude to app for a character the staff are looking for, and then slink off into inactivity.
Tlaloc
Legend

I couldn't agree more with Tlaloc's post.  Which is why I am not putting in for roles anymore coming from staff announcements in the gdb.