Arrows and wood.

Started by fearwig, February 02, 2005, 09:52:27 PM

Now, we all know why arrows are incredibly, nearly impractically expensive in the south. They require wood for the shaft, and wood is in short supply in Allanak and the south, where wood is substituted, where applicable, with chitin, bone, and other animal parts.

So uh... why aren't there arrows made of chitin and bone? Why isn't that craftable?

When a civilization seriously lacks a particular material staple like wood, they -replace- it with other things. They don't just do without. Seems rather silly to me to pay as much for a single arrow as most daggers, only to lose almost every single one, especially when there's a good IC reason you wouldn't be paying so much for that precious arrow.

And before you say it, I imagine bone would be damned good for fletching. I'm sure there has probably been historical evidence of its use for the same, where people are a little harder pressed for wood. Zalanthas should be no exception.

Not too Ic here. They do make arrows out of bone.

Other than that, find out IC.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Chitin is not flexible.  You can only change its shape -slightly- and if you try to make it as thin as an arrow shaft, it will break.

Bone is a little different.  Not all bone is applicable.  Actually, if I know the bone structure correctly, it should not be flexible as arrow shaft as well.  But there are bone arrows I guess.  But not too many.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Looks like I jumped to conclusions, then. Thanks for putting up with it. :)

If you are having finding crafting materials, you can always email the mud account asking for help.  The IMMs can decide what kind of information you should have.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

A good idea, thanks. I'm always reluctant to bother anyone, but I guess that's just me being skittish.