Half-elf, it's the new human

Started by Hidden Identity, December 29, 2004, 08:45:27 PM

Am I the only one who feels that there should be more external stigma involved in being a half-elf?

No, half-elves have the capability to somewhat blend into either culture, and that is as it should be. That is, after all, the concept at base behind the halfbreed.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

One would think the concept at base behind a half-elf is that neither culture really accepts them.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: "Hidden Identity"Am I the only one who feels that there should be more external stigma involved in being a half-elf?

Could you clarify?  Do you mean that half-elves should be treated more poorly than they currently are?  And would you also care to give a vague example of the type of behavior you disagree with?
Back from a long retirement

This post exists only in your imagination.

Seems like the trend is to treat them like humans. I was wondering if that was an isolated thing.

Where do you play, in the north?  In Allanak I've seen them pretty much treated same as elves or 'rinthers.

I've seen three half-elves in the past week, and all three were harassed within my sight, and rightly so. I think the stigma attached to them is about right.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Good to hear. My personal feeling is that there doesn't have to be a single response that is always the right response.  I just wasn't sure if my play experience was a unique one, or if the widely accepted rp was very different than what I'd expected.

I haven't noticed many half-elves at all in Allanak (not that my current character is in the best position to).  I'm guessing that this epidemic that quite a few people have been complaining about now is mainly in Tuluk.

I think that if too many people choose to play half-elves then it can become harder to treat them poorly.  So I'd encourage conscienscious players to consider other choices in race for a little while.

Eventually, when the half-elf pc pop. has grown exceedingly high, I'm sure the immz wouldn't mind hosting an HTRP with the theme: Half-elf sacking day so we can get rid of all dem 'breeds.  :twisted:

I think sometimes players have a hard time figuring out what to do with half-elves.  Sure, everyone knows how to role-play the obvious and stereo-typical breed.  But, because of coded race choices, there are characters who only have traces of eleven blood (eyes usually) and then players must decide what to do with those characters?  Sometimes, half-eleven races are played that the character acts human, or doesn't even know they are a half-elf.  Basically, I think role-play is... alright.  If a half-elf isn't being flamboyant about their eleven blood, I think people would treat them better; or not even notice.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Aren't half-elves mean to suck up to the other races?

So, somewhere along the line, someone is bound to act a little bit nice to one of them.

Once again, just like in the other thread a week or two back, people are crap at rping racism. No interaction other than 'narrows eyes at ~half-elf' is SHIT in my opinion. Your character may hate half-elves because they threw your sick mother into the rinth, but most people will simply believe that they are BETTER and of more value than half-elves. If the former, don't just ignore them. Go nuts.

I've noticed that a lot of half-elves seem rather uppity lately.  I wonder why that is?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

They don't know that they're supposed to be the scum of the world and not respected by anyone with pointy or round ears?

Editted to actually add to the conversation:
Personally, in the area I'm playing right now, I see more half-elves than humans.  Odd?  Not really.  Things like this ebb and flow.

I make sure to treat them with the proper disdain, however that doesn't have to be anything open.  I mean, they're looked down on as inferior half-breeds, not hated, by the general populace.  This doesn't require lynching every half-elf, or even doing anything in the half-elves presence.

Rinthi scum says, "What'd you do that to poor Stil for, huh?"
Guild scum says, "Who cares?  He's a krath-damned breed!"
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!