>Shoot Gith Out

Started by mansa, November 27, 2004, 09:45:24 PM

Quote from: "Message Of The Day"You can now shoot/throw into/out of wagons.  See help files for skill_throw and skill_archery for syntax and details.

You coders are super!  I'm in awe of what has been accomplished.

Throw

Archery
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Of course, now we have to watch out for roving argosies filled with hundreds of gith archers...

I'm looking forward to this week's WU so I can see who did that :) Congrats to everyone who did and thankyou for all the hard work on the code you've been doing of late.

I know we only tend to thankyou when we get stuff that benefits us, but I'm sure a lot of us mean to thankyou a lot more often then we do ;)

I also wonder, is this a result of the recent unpopular policy changes that were made to in part give the staff more time to concentrate on more important things. If so I've only benefitted from the changes so far :)

Hmm, it says we can shoot into wagon items, does this include shooting into a den or cave?

so... 'shoot man cave'  would should into the cave? Or is it only wagons that we can shoot into?
B

I gues we can shoot and throw into anything.

Ahem,

Thanks for this addition!!!!!!
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Canadian Beaver"Hmm, it says we can shoot into wagon items, does this include shooting into a den or cave?
I believe there is very little coded difference between a wagon and cave (other then one is stationary) so I would say "yes." Of course a staff member would know for sure.

this rocks.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

First, thank you... It was worth not having purple banded wrist razor with a glow crystal attached. But I'd like to ask, does this change include spells, too? Now can we aim entrances and the direction 'out' with spells aiming general directions?
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Cenghiz"But I'd like to ask, does this change include spells, too? Now can we aim entrances and the direction 'out' with spells aiming general directions?

Consider this:

Can you cast a spell into another room already?

The code now considers 7 exits instead of 6...at least, that's what I believe it affects.

If only NPCs would be able to enter and exit areas by their own scripts...

If only NPCs would be able to enter and exit areas by their own scripts...

Err... One little bug.. You can't shoot someone in your room now. For some reason I didn't have weapons, so I had to move away to finish a NPC from the neighbour room.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Does this mean that NPCs will 'enter wagon' now?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

You can still shoot something in the room with you, but you need to add something like "shoot tregil HERE" if they're in the same room as you -- this is considered a bug and is being worked on, however.

You can "shoot" or "throw" into/out of essentially anything you can "look" into or out of AND "enter" or "leave."  So, it won't work in pilot rooms, but it will work for caves, tents, buildings, etc.

You can thank Nessalin for this.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

QuoteYou can thank Nessalin for this.

Thank you, Ness! Man, I'm sure you guys are doing stuff under the hood all the time that the playerbase may not immediately notice, but lately there's been all kinds of goodies we can interact with- or use- directly. Much appreciation to all who contribute their time for the enjoyment of us thankless cretins, the players. ;)
Amor Fati

Quote from: "Anonymous"
Quote from: "Cenghiz"But I'd like to ask, does this change include spells, too? Now can we aim entrances and the direction 'out' with spells aiming general directions?

Consider this:

Find out IC  :twisted:

Quote from: "Cenghiz"
Quote from: "Anonymous"

Consider this:

Find out IC  :twisted:

If he has to find that out IC you have to find out if you can cast spells into entrances and 'out' too then :P
B

I did....
But the problem was, my question was not about rooms, it was about entrances.

The previously reported bug has been squashed, and another more rare one found and squashed.  None were crash-bugs, but playability quirks.  At any rate, as of next reboot those should be in.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

QuoteThe previously reported bug has been squashed, and another more rare one found and squashed. None were crash-bugs, but playability quirks. At any rate, as of next reboot those should be in.

Nice! You squash bugs good!

(Kinda sorta a quote from Starship Troopers.)
Amor Fati

This is an awsome new piece of code.  Yay! Now all we need are destructible wagons and we are set for a roaring good time.   :D
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "sarahjc"Yay! Now all we need are destructible wagons...
Eeeeeeeeeewww.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Ewww???

Boo on you seeker.  :cry:

But the reason that I think we should have destructible wagons is well.. Wagons are like mobile fortresses. You can't break down doors inside, you simply can't get past the loading doc.  They never break a wheel, there is literally almost no risk taking them out. As long as you all stay behind that first door, and don't run off the shield wall, nothing can happen.  You could throw fireballs at it.. It won't burn up and it's made of wood!

As it stands now, as far as I know, only Imm interaction can make a wagon go down. I would like to see a wagon basically coded like a subdued person with tremendous Stamina, Tremendous strength and poor agility.  Damage locations being wheels, the inixs and the least damage falling in the argosy's body itself. I understand that some argosy's are huge multi-roomed beasts, but nothing is indestructible.

No argosy's can't fight back, but they should be able to show damage.

Something like this I guess:

Outside

Attack Argosy
You slam your axe into the wheel of a small argosy cracking it slightly
You slam your axe into the wheel of a small argosy cracking it slightly

Attack Argosy

You slam your axe into the wheel of a small argosy taking off a good chunk.
You miss the wheel of a small argosy as it rolls past.

A small argosy moves west

Inside

You feel an unsteady shake as the wagon moves along, it seems to slow a bit.

Outside

Attack argosy

Generic inix coded message
Generic inix coded message

Inside

You hear a cry of pain from one of the animals outside the wagon.  The wagon seems to slow down.

Also to make it easier on code you could make only bludgeoning weapons work, as slashing and piercing would be useless on wood.

I have a million ideas on this, it was talked about to a great extent at the APM. Obviously other things are far more important, but I think some sort of ability to damage wagons should be implemented if you are going to allow people to now shoot out of them.  Cause without imm interaction, they are basically now invincible.

Or maybe I am a raving idiot that knows nothing on code.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

There isn't much you're going to do to a zalanthan argosy with an axe, wiggle-be-good. For that matter, there isn't much you're going to do with a dozen axes, or a hundred, unless the thing is stationary and empty.

I remember talk from the apm about the wagon code being redone over time, to make it all more dynamic. Whether this is one of the steps in that direction, or a temporary solution before a new system comes, I suggest making it more difficult to hit a target when firing in than when firing out.
Dig?

For a moment, I thought this thread was going to be about the Githlauncher 2000 Semi-Automatic with the new Elkrosian-lightning-glass lens sights for accuracy even at three leagues!  But no... it's about shooting at Gith, not ... shooting Gith.  *sniff*
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Wagons are like doors, sure, you should be able to dammage them and you can in fact dammage them, you just have to have imm assistance to do it.  That lets you try it if you've got a good plan, but prevents people from doing it on a whim.

Sometimes they get dammaged without anyone requesting it, I was once on a wagon that broke a wheel.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

The wagon breaking idea got its own thread. Prolly easier for the imms if the ideas are consolidated in one spot or the other.
Amor Fati