Staff Responses

Started by Blah, October 15, 2004, 03:01:54 PM

Well you can surely get the hint of this coming post. I have sent in an application for a specific character that should be very low profile and doubtful it takes much thought to decide if either I'll be allowed to play it or not. I realize that the policy is two weeks, and I believe that is a bit rediculous specially when your dealing with one Immortal that surely doesn't receive applications like this every day and in large bulks. I've sent one email, pertaining to my application then a second just to make sure it was received since I never got a response to even the first one.  I realize that OOC things may play a factor here, but I manage to check my email during most of my day. If an application was sent to me, I would be able to read it over within a couple minutes, and then check the account history of this player and be able to get out a response within the day, atleast. Its simply ludacris that players should have to wait long like this without even a simple response from the Immortal Staff saying that they atleast received the email and that they're looking it over and possibly giving a time frame. I think if the Immortal Staff wanted to better the communication between players and Staff, they could atleast give a possible time-frame, reasoning and explaining of what is happening with any given email.

Just my thoughts

The fact that you expect us staff to respond to emails within minutes is unreasonable - many of us have jobs that doesn't allow us to access it, much less have time to respond fully.  At the end of the day, I often don't have energy to respond, and tend to put off emails that need an in-depth reply until the weekend.  I prefer to use my remaining energy for my home life, and/or to interact with players in-game.

The staffer in charge of special apps, Brixius, tends to process them on weekends, and there is a considerable queue to go through on a regular basis.  Not only does he have to check each individual's account for notes and comments, he also usually checks with other staff for feedbacks, then compose an email rejecting/accepting the applicant.  He's thorough, and gives these apps some thought, which I commend.

I suggest that you check your junk folder, and failing that, make sure it definitely has been two weeks since you first sent your email (not too long ago, someone posted saying it had been over 2 weeks when it was just barely over a week), and if those check out, send another polite email to both Brixius, CC the mud and learn some patience.
Ashyom

Quote from: "Blah"I realize that the policy is two weeks, and I believe that is a bit rediculous specially when your dealing with one Immortal that surely doesn't receive applications like this every day and in large bulks.

How do you know how many applications he receives and how often?  Not to mention, special applications (as has been previously stated) are on the bottom of the list of priorities.

Quote from: "Blah"
If an application was sent to me, I would be able to read it over within a couple minutes, and then check the account history of this player and be able to get out a response within the day, atleast.

Good for you.  But you're not the one handling special apps.

Quote from: "Blah"
Its simply ludacris that players should have to wait long like this without even a simple response from the Immortal Staff saying that they atleast received the email and that they're looking it over and possibly giving a time frame.

Yes, it's ludicrous that a VOLUNTEER who doesn't get paid can't possibly answer you within the same day about a character in a game.  It might do you some good to stop and think about that, and realize that whining about it, as you surely are doing, only pisses people off.  Give the guy a break and realize he's doing this as a hobby.  Go play some other character while you wait, it won't kill you.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Blah"Well you can surely get the hint of this coming post. I have sent in an application for a specific character that should be very low profile and doubtful it takes much thought to decide if either I'll be allowed to play it or not. I realize that the policy is two weeks, and I believe that is a bit rediculous specially when your dealing with one Immortal that surely doesn't receive applications like this every day and in large bulks. I've sent one email, pertaining to my application then a second just to make sure it was received since I never got a response to even the first one.  I realize that OOC things may play a factor here, but I manage to check my email during most of my day. If an application was sent to me, I would be able to read it over within a couple minutes, and then check the account history of this player and be able to get out a response within the day, atleast. Its simply ludacris that players should have to wait long like this without even a simple response from the Immortal Staff saying that they atleast received the email and that they're looking it over and possibly giving a time frame. I think if the Immortal Staff wanted to better the communication between players and Staff, they could atleast give a possible time-frame, reasoning and explaining of what is happening with any given email.

Just my thoughts

This is a pretty good example of a negative interaction with the staff.  A better way to get concerns like this addressed is to e-mail your questions privately to whoever you were originally dealing with (and always CC: the mud account, of course).  A poor way to achieve your goals is to post your frustrations on the GDB -- it has the feel of you trying to increase/create pressure on the staff by creating a public discussion.  Additionally, suggesting that our processes are broken, or inferring (you don't, at least, directly conclude that :)) that we are slow, lazy, or disorganized is probably not the best way to handle any issue like this, either privately or publicly (though, again, this would have been better done through a private e-mail).

Your frustration is clear from the tone of your post.  Interestingly, you suggest both that your application shouldn't "take much thought to decide" on, and that we can't possibly "receive applications like this in large bulks".  These complaints seem at odds with one another:  a very unique application will be that much more difficult to consider.  You suggest also that this is a communications issue....  I'm pretty sure it isn't.  You have a request (phrased here as a demand) that you'd like responded to in a timely fashion, and don't see why we can't respond faster.  That's not a communications issue, but really a problem of supply and demand.  Time is in short supply for most of the people working on Armageddon.  We have careers, families, other hobbies, and a measurable load of tasks which we perform as frequently as we can in an effort to keep the mud running smoothly.  As Nessalin has observed in the past, special applications are prioritized among the very -least- of these tasks.  That means:  we get to them when we can.  In the meantime, you are encouraged to continue to play with your current character, start a new character, or do whatever else you like to do to pass the time.  Please be patient with the approval process.

Two other things:  a) this is the "Ask the Staff" forum.  I don't see an actual question in your post.  That may, in the future, be a good sign to you that this isn't an appropriate place for it.  To me, what you've posted feels a lot more like a rant.   b) there is a free online spell-checker at http://www.spellcheck.net/ which may prove an excellent tool for refining your rants in the future.

We've said clearly over and over in the past that this is not a high priority and that it will take a while to look at special applications.  This is by design, and keeps people from submitting them on a daily basis.

Just in case it's not clear: DO NOT EXPECT AN IMMEDIATE TURNAROUND ON SPECIAL APPLICATIONS.  When you send an email a day after you submitted it asking why you haven't gotten a reply yet, all you are accomplishing is convincing me that you failed reading comprehension in third grade for a reason.

In all seriousness, we can leave things as they are, or we can take away the option to apply for special characters entirely.  Every time I see someone bitch on here about the fact that they can't believe the staff doesn't drop everything and rush to assist them with their character concept, it moves a little closer to the latter.  

Having the ability to submit special characters is not some innate right that we are cruelly denying you.  It is a courtesy.  If you're going to take the free peanuts that go with the airplane ride, don't spend the trip bitching because they were stale.   The airline isn't required to provide them, nor is there some grand MUD Administration that's going to yank our license because someone didn't answer your email with 24 hours.

Do I sound annoyed?  Yes.  I am.  I'm annoyed because you're gotten special characters in the past and apparently this has convinced you that you deserve special attention.  I'm annoyed because, as Xygax notes,  you pre-empted the actual purpose of this forum to use it for your own complaint, rather than emailing anyone.  I'm annoyed because you think your application deserves precedence over things like taking care of players who are -not- asking for special consideration but are content to play.  

If this is not acceptable, then find another mud.  Http://www.mudconnector.com lists a plethora.