Adages from the desert dunes...

Started by Incognito, September 28, 2004, 01:01:09 PM

Desert dwellers do not possess luxuries. They use tents of hair, or houses of wood or clay, unfurnished. They had shade and shelter, nothing else. Their food is either raw or little prepared, save that it may have been touched by fire.
- The Muqaddimah of IBN KHALDUN

Victories often have hidden causes. Muhammad said, "War is trickery." A proverb says, "A trick is worth more than a tribe."

The greatest number of marauders are found on the borders of the cultivated districts. The desert itself is safer.
- BAEDEKER'S Palestine and Syria

Since desert life is clearly the source of bravery, the more savage the group, the more brave, and the more able to defeat other peoples and take from them their possessions.

The bare necessities are basic; luxuries are secondary. Thus, Bedouins are basic, prior to cities and sedentary people.
Bedouins are clearly nearer to goodness than are sedentary people.

The arts are well established in a city only after sedentary culture has a long duration there.

The traveller should be on his guard against the thievish propensities of beggars.
BAEDEKER's Palestine and Syria
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Very cool.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.
  - me

Sand from the North, storm is short.
Sand from the South, stay in the house.

Holy mon un nilaz dead thread, batman!

An opponent worthy of rising from the dead, my friends!
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Some more desert wisdom - anonymous bedouin sayings:

At the narrow passage, there is no brother and no friend.

He who shares my bread and salt is not my enemy.

I against my brother, I and my brother against our cousin, I, my brother and our cousin against the neighbours, all of us against the foreigner.

The lightly burdened will be saved.

When you sleep inside, your thoughts are as high as the ceiling, when you sleep outdoors, your thoughts are as high as the stars.

The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

"Keep red Fred in the shed."

Oh wait.

That's a compass.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: Incognito on July 23, 2009, 04:03:43 PM
Some more desert wisdom - anonymous bedouin sayings:

At the narrow passage, there is no brother and no friend.

He who shares my bread and salt is not my enemy.

I against my brother, I and my brother against our cousin, I, my brother and our cousin against the neighbours, all of us against the foreigner.

The lightly burdened will be saved.

When you sleep inside, your thoughts are as high as the ceiling, when you sleep outdoors, your thoughts are as high as the stars.

These are so cool.

I agree!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

The Sun!
Rays that have wander'd into darkness wide,
Return! And back into your sun subside.

From Omar Khayyam's Bird Parliament. Always reminded me of the Desert.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Zalanthanized ancient chinese proverb I once read and wrote down specifically for this very reason:

A hawk and a scorpion meet each other at the edge of a great ravine.

The scorpion asks, "Hawk, will you carry me on your back across this gap?" to which the hawk responds, "How do I know you won't sting me if I put you on my back?"

The scorpion thinks a moment, then says, "If I do, we'll both fall and die."

Seeming satisfied, the hawk loads the scorpion onto his back and together they soar over the canyon. Half way across the scorpion buries his stinger into the hawk's back.

As he begins to fall, the hawk asks, "Scorpion, but why?"  The scorpion responds, "Because it is my nature."

A proverb about self-destructive qualities, and self-sabotage.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

The one I heard was a bit different ...

It was a scorpion and a horse and a river. And kind of the same story except the scorpion said because we'll both drown.

Then when the horse asked why, the scorpion said: Because ... I can swim.

Too much water for Zalanthas though.

Yeah, this one was a frog and a scorpion, and a river. As I said, I Zalanthanized it. Other than the frog and the river it's the same.

As far as "because I can swim?" That doesn't make any sense to me, cause I don't think scorpions can swim. Even so, that would be a good one to mold into a proverb about deception. As I've said, the above one was about self-sabotaging characteristics. Biting the hand that feeds, and so forth. I found it funny cause when I read it I wrote it down because I thought it would be awesome to say one day IG. :D

Armageddon.org

July 27, 2009, 11:38:05 AM #15 Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:41:49 AM by musashi
I had always thought it was about deception :-)

One of my favorites is an Africian one.

"When deeds speak, words are nothing."

Oh!!!! And I just remembered a SWEET phrase that would suit Zalanthas really well.

(adapted from an Italian proverb)

"Once the game is over ... the templar and the sand dune both go back in the same box."

Better to live one day as a Bynner, than a thousand years as a bard.

-WP bows.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: WarriorPoet on July 27, 2009, 12:48:55 PM
Better to live one day as a Bynner, than a thousand years as a bard.

-WP bows.

em applauds even though he loves bards.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

running in circles, like a krath struck gortok chasing its tail.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove any doubt."

TWAIN BABY, TWAIN!

"The tallest tree attracts the axe."
~ Sounds like a northerner's way of saying, 'if you flaunt it, we'll cut it off.'

Armageddon.org

When walking the desert and confronted by another humanoid, first ask them to step aside, if not, destroy them.

Maybe I'm getting confused with something out of the Necronomicon :/
Free your hate.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on July 27, 2009, 11:22:36 AM
Zalanthanized ancient chinese proverb I once read and wrote down specifically for this very reason:

A hawk and a scorpion meet each other at the edge of a great ravine.

The scorpion asks, "Hawk, will you carry me on your back across this gap?" to which the hawk responds, "How do I know you won't sting me if I put you on my back?"

The scorpion thinks a moment, then says, "If I do, we'll both fall and die."

Seeming satisfied, the hawk loads the scorpion onto his back and together they soar over the canyon. Half way across the scorpion buries his stinger into the hawk's back.

As he begins to fall, the hawk asks, "Scorpion, but why?"  The scorpion responds, "Because it is my nature."

A proverb about self-destructive qualities, and self-sabotage.

Heard something similar to this, only a Native American story.

Was a boy out hunting in a high mountain, when he came across a rattle snake in the snow.  The snake asks the boy to carry it down to the warm below and the boy replies that he will not, since the snake will bite him.  The snake says no, blah, blah, boy goes down, snake bites him, boy asks why and snake says "You knew my nature when you picked me up".
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

The scorpion and frog? "Kelile and Dimne" from Beydeba. The snake and the horse? "Mesnevi" from Mevlana..
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

I once read a really beautiful story from indian folklore (the country, not the peoples)

Kinda long to copy into here, but basic gist goes like this:

Prince in forest, meets amazingly beautiful woman;
Prince tells amazingly beautiful that she will become his wife, woman refuses;
Prince forces woman to become his wife;
Prince slowly falls in love with woman over the years, woman continues to hate prince, constantly asking to be set free;
Prince denys woman many times, woman suddenly turns nto geisha, one of the gods, and strips him of everything;
when asked why the god decived the prince, god replies "Not everything is at it seems, you took me for looks, and kept me because of pride and misplaced love, and because you thought you were above evryone" Prince lives as a beggar forever after.

Think the moral of that one is a resounding no-one is above the law.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Except nobles.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.