And another thing...

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, December 09, 2002, 02:27:22 AM

Dumb idea!!!! Stop posting, you dumb bastard!!!

Gods, I love it!!!! Post on, you dumb bastard!!
8 (18.6%)
What the fuck do I care? I ain't no newbie!
5 (11.6%)
Dumb idea! Stop posting, you dumb bastard!
30 (69.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: December 09, 2002, 02:27:22 AM

Ok, this is a shot in the dark. Pardon the pun, but I do not know if this has any real merit at all. But, for newbies, is there a way to make a school for them, not in terms of simple commands, but also in terms of rp? This is ludicrous, you are thinking, but WAIT! Lemme explain.

Now, i think that there is a way to know when a new account is logged on. Since the account, if new, will usually be a new player, then make this happen for every single one.

You log on with you new char. You are started in a village called Newbie Ville. Actually call it that. Hehe. THen, have NPCs in every room with progs to point the player along. You can have NPCs follow the PC, and say, look, this does this, this this, and type help. THen you have the PC travel around, each room presenting something different about the game. One is a shop, where they can buy little things like earrings for free. Or rocks, blah blah. Teach them the buying system. A room called RP land, with the NPCs within carrying out some lookit me, now you try it. And so on. Now, I think this would prepare them for the RL of ARM as well. Explain, within this city, somewhere, that this place does not exist within the world or ARM, and that killing shit is dumb, and so on. Explain a lot, but make it simple. Well made NPCs with good progs can carry this out well.

I think it would help a lot, for it messes up the atmosphere a LOT when a newbie is in and don't know what the fuck to do. And maybe some would stay longer, and that would fix the pop prob. Man, with 100 PCs on everynight, RPing, wouldnt that be so cool? LOL

Well?

Venomz
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'll have to disagree. The only time I've seen a newbie type school truly be successful is when:

A) The documents would hard to read, or there wasn't any documents besides the in-MUD helpfiles.

B) When it's incorporated into the IC world itself and there is a reason it is there. Like every character coming to the MUD is traveling to this island, or even the planet, and such like that.

With point A, Arma has some of the best documentation when it comes to any game, rather console, computer, table-top even, although I can see where some of the stuff in the Newbie sections need to be made clearer, because some simple things are alittle hard to find sometime(Specially for people COMPLETELY new to MUDs.)

With point B, I see there no way to incorporate anything such as a newbie school or anything like the sorts. It'd probably be some help, but not as much help as spending a half an hour reading the documents. I came to Armageddon from playing one MUD for about a year or two I'd say, and some others before that when I was experimenting, so I knew I had to read the docs, but even if I didn't know anything about MUDs I probably could have figured out the basic things to play the MUD.

Even if you specifically state, "This place does not exist in characterily it is strictly an out of character area to help you in coming to Arma," there well still be people going about ICally, "What happened to my rock I bought for free? It just disapeared. Do you know that idiot guy that was jumping around and yelling at me?"

Now, if your saying this is completely for RP help, I don't see how it would really help much as compared to acctually playing the game. If they are still completely lost after reading through the documentation, I think finding the general discussion board isn't too hard, although I think if it isn't already, a link to the helpers page, or the emails of a few people dedicated to helping newbies right within the newbie documents.

8) Creeper thinks he did a WONDERFUL job on this post, even if noone thinks he's right.
21sters Unite!

The poll says you are right. *grin*

Venomz

It's called T'zai Byn.  :)  And it works.  And it's IC.

Firstly, that is only for new warriors, rangers, assassins, and other fighter types. A merchant would not be pointed to the Byn. Hrmm, how's this? All new warrior classes, on the first account, get one starting choice, right away. The Byn. I mean, like what? Is it going to ruin them? *grin*

And why not have a goods BYN, for the crafters and merchants that choose that as their first char?

Hmmm...maybe that's a beeter idea.

Hmm...maybe not....

Venomz

I think Byn might be shut down if they tried to open up a section for selling processed goods. :)

And why can't a merchant go into the Byn? Sure they'd get beat up... But after that first year they could slap around a fellow merchant no problem!

Also I'm sure a skilled merchant who spent his time doing the physical labor sorts maybe get in good with someone in charge of the Byn and stay around, with like a special rank, doing some merchantly types stuff for the Byn. Sitting taverns and such, buying equipment for newer folk and such.

Sure wouldn't be for everyone but it'd be a spot or to that might be able to be filled :)

8) Hmm... Hehe, Yeah. Be funny. Doubt it well happen. Oh well. Creeper is gone crazy. Have fun folks.
21sters Unite!

What I think Venomz meant was to have a clan similar to how the Byn tends to take in newbies, but for non-combat classes.  I honestly don't know how this would work though, besides maybe having some sort of 'guild' in the major centers, which could hire out to the Houses, or send their 'graduates', or something.. but that seems like an artificial construction in a world that doesn't include social structures like that?  I suppose there's always the 'flexibility' of the world/game argument, though.

Of course, any non-combat class can join the Byn if they want, there aren't any restrictions on how well people can fight to get in - that's really what the first year training's for (how would you know you're not any good at it until you really tried?  hehe).
ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of eternity.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Firstly, that is only for new warriors, rangers, assassins, and other fighter types. A merchant would not be pointed to the Byn. Hrmm, how's this? All new warrior classes, on the first account, get one starting choice, right away. The Byn. I mean, like what? Is it going to ruin them? *grin*
The best place for new player merchants to go.  Is in any merchant house. (not to mention the docs say new players should not play merchants)  I do not think sticking all the new players together is really the best thing, it's good to have them go where they want to go.  Some new players do not want to be in the Byn.   New players will learn the best by being with people who are showing a good example.

I do agree that arm has a problem with being new player friendly.  I do not think a mudschool or sticking new players all together is really the answer.  I think having new players be directed to helpers as quick as possible is the best thing.  And have people be understanding and not rant at them OOC for doing something wrong.  These people really make me mad, you come to a new mud to be ranted on cause you made a mistake who the heck would stay after that?  People need to realize that without new players, arm would crumble.
 don't eat everyone.

I agree with not sticking all newbies in the one area or in the Byn. I don't really like the Byn as I don't like playing military type characters. I agree with the anklebiter with everything he said, and do my best to do that. I reckon that noble Houses are extremely good for newbies as they cover both military and non-military types, and the RPing in them is amazing!

Whenever I encounter a newbie, I act ICly. If it's IC for me to be nice to the newbie, then I do, and be more willing to help them ICly (e.g. show them the bazaar), however if it's completely OOC to help the newbie, I don't, because the thing I loved most about this mud when I first joined was the RPing. I died cause of a silly mistake my character made (which I deliberately did because in the docs it says to have faults within your char) which ended up killing him. And I -loved- it. I loved the way someone went to the templar and got him to kill me, and the fact my death was RPed out. It taught me never to trust a templar when he says he won't kill you  :twisted:

Although something I always do is emote my ass off whenever I see a newbie by doing :A group of people walk past @

Also, nothing wrong with merchants joining the Byn. When I created a merchant, he kept getting told how dangerous going outside the city was so he figured he should learn how to fight and joined the Byn. I sucked but it was fun.

Ok. I guess all of it was a bad idea. I just keep hearing, however, how we can't do this thing or that thing until more players and a largerbase shows up, and I am just like damn. I wanna help them. I mean, shit. Out of the millions of mudders on this planet, how the hell does Arm only have fifty to 60, and sometimes seventy, players online at the most. (course, I remember when it was like fifty was a huge number) But still, I don't know. WHen I post, I tend to just come up with shit spurt of the moment, and its not all good ideas. But dammit. I wanna see us get number one on TMP, and have a hundred players online, and have 150 on weekends, and all kinds of stuff. Dammit, I want to be able to get into more plots, with more characters, and more twists, and more this and that. Sometimes, though, I just spaz.

Heh.

Good night.

Venomz