Water

Started by theebie, September 15, 2004, 05:01:03 AM

hi,

i was just thinking about water. it seems to be extremely rare to find
outside towns, and inside town there's just a fountain somewhere,
or something like that, but every tavern has HUGE amounts of liquids.

now where do they get those ? and if you pay 80 sids for a gallon of
water, how can someone afford to offer an ale for 20 ?

where do all the trees and bushes get enough water to produce fruits ?
(which consist of a great deal of water, too)

---theebie---

I'd say find out IC, but somehow I think its not 100% realistic.

About the cities, definitely find out IC.

It could be an underground source, or it could be magick or some sort, or it could be a a portal to the Elemental Plane of Vivadu, or anything else.  There are ways, mundane and magickal, to arrange such sources.

And about the ale...first thing, nobody said it was clear water, or that it was watered down at all.  Second, nobody said it was water. :P
Zalanthan ales are more 'aled up' than they are watered up.

Now, the plants and fruit...think cacti for a moment.  These are plants that can survive in the middle of the desert and on two drops of water every month.  I'm sure that belshun vines and baobab trees have similar solution, and it's also known that some plants can sustain themselves on blood.

Besides, it's not as though every vine, tree of bush is loaded with giant fruit that threaten to fall off of its boughs.  More likely, you find a dried up tree that has four gnarled and dead fruits and one that's just barely serviceable, which is why foraging for food is harder than walking to the nearest tree and picking fruit.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

In the docs, you'll notice that the southern water supply is controlled by the Allanaki templarate, and the northern water supply is controlled by House Tenneshi.  These are certainly the logical suppliers for the taverns and so on, but as to where the suppliers get their water, that is definitely something to find out IC.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Also keep in mind how much you're getting.  Waterskin holds more than a flagon of ale holds.  In addition to that, like it's been said, what's in the ale might not be much in the way of water.  Is that tavern next to a stable for instance..?

Quote from: "theebie"it seems to be extremely rare to find
outside towns
I feel quite the opposite.  Water (and food) is grossly abundant and/or extremely affordable unless you have some peculiar tastes.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "UnderSeven"Also keep in mind how much you're getting.  Waterskin holds more than a flagon of ale holds.  In addition to that, like it's been said, what's in the ale might not be much in the way of water.  Is that tavern next to a stable for instance..?

:?  Krath...what are kank's eating?

Alcoholic beverages have the tremendous advantage of not having to be terribly pure to be relatively "safe" to drink.  Foul water will be less likely to kill you once it has been mixed with alcohol, because the alcohol will kill most of the bacteria and/or parasites that would otherwise do you harm, and also mask the taste of those impurities enough to keep you blissfully ignorant of the filth you're drinking.  Alcohol is also easier to transport in some ways and "keeps" better than water in a variety of conditions.  The problem with alcohol, of course, is that it's not great for your body, systemically speaking.  But, if you're only planning on living to 40, who cares?  :)

So, yeah...  lots of alcohol indicates a source of water from somewhere...  but it isn't exactly Arrowhead water, fresh from the Rocky mountains and bottled at -40 degrees.   :evil:   Also, yes, both citystates have developed or discovered the means of acquiring the water they need to support their relatively enormous populations.  That is probably one of the major reasons they becamse (and remain) such large centers of population on such a desolate world.

This reminded me of a topic I created some time ago, that ended up charging some very interesting discussion and creating some very good theories. I figured I'd dig it up for your reading pleasure.
http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4329&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Enjoy my l337 thr3@D-m@l<1ng sl<11z.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."