Author Topic: What worked? What didn't?  (Read 3038 times)

Sanvean

• My Website
What worked? What didn't?
« on: September 08, 2004, 02:07:25 PM »
What went well at the APM, and what should we change for next year?

One thing that (imo) we should have done was post on various mud news sites announcing that we'll be at DragonCon and inviting people to stop by the booth.

Costumes are a great idea, given how many there were there, and I'll start a separate thread for ideas about those.

sarahjc

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 03:03:27 PM »
We need a banner, I am looking into it.  Also we had discussed something interactive at the table, like a taped log.

I think something else that might be cool, and this is just an idea, but maybe set up a role just for the APM, a generic hunter maybe, make it 8 or 9 days old and let a select few people who man the booth take turns playing it. Just out in the desert showing what a live sample of the game is like. Try to make it non-conflicting with the ordinary players games.

I would just really like to see the table look a bit better.
Quote from: jmordetsky
Sarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant
"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Campbell

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 03:26:22 PM »
Perhaps have some of the artisticly inclined ARMers to provide art for people to see?
ometimes the mind, for reasons we don't necessarily understand, just decides to go to the store for a quart of milk.

ShaLeah

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 04:10:40 PM »
I'm very attached to the idea of a tent or tent-like structure encasing the table so that it has that bazaar feel. In a pinch, we can take one of those mosquito nettings that go over a bed and make it surround the table, maybe change the tulle or netting for cheeeese cloth.  :)

I'd like to see a character being played at the table itself, they have wireless access, don't they? We have laptops and all that.

A banner is a must I think.

I'd like to see the history of the mud and other various things, logs, help files, songs; all printed out and made into an aesthetically pleasing book for people to look at.

I'd like to approach roleplayers, not mudders. A couple of the people passing out flyers and cards were asking "Do you Mud?" and I think we'd get a better response with "Are you a roleplayer?" or "Do you roleplay?".

I'd like to add roleplaying to the costumes. I think it'd be attractive to those approached if a person dressed as a slave bowed or curtsied and acted in character when he/she gave them that card or flyer.

tell future addict (with a low curtsey to show haltered breasteses) Do you roleplay? Join us.
give card future addict
Heh.

I'd like to see pairs of people going off (away from the table) and passing things out ala NYC streets. Ohh! Maybe we can make one of those boards with the Arm logo and walk around!
(k, maybe that's going too far)
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

sarahjc

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 04:23:22 PM »
Banner will cost right around 200, and I will need a JPEG file of it. I can do this myself, or if there is one Available??

I know we did have that cool Flash thing..
Sarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!

SykotikGith

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 04:29:37 PM »
If someone wants to get together a list of things that they feel should be printed out and put into a notebook, or two (that way no future addict has to share too much). Feel free to PM me, or we can start a new thread here on stuff to print out. Also, I believe Drunken Salarr had started a notebook for this purpose if we can get in touch with him (or if he reads this!), I am sure he can be persuaded to finish it off and bring it to next year's APM.

I don't want to get TOO heavy into printing out documentation and stuff, because then the notebook(s) will be REALLY intimidating and likely to scare people off.
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz
"That is, at least, a step in the right direction, even if it is a step off the Shield Wall."

Campbell

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 05:31:57 PM »
I work at a magazine/website/logo design company.  I volunteer any assistance you want/need.  I can do the layout for the book.  I can even make ebooks on cds for those who what them.

Plus I'm sure I can get a banner cheaper.  I've created banners for companies and myself and they've never been over a hundred bucks.  Last ones I did at FedEx/Kinkos and they did them cheaper by having their logo on them as well.  Got the banners for $45. (20" across x 54" long approx.)

I think the ARM logo on arm bands would be the best thing.  One logo.  That way, no confusion.  Those could be done with those cheap iron-on transfers and a jpeg.

I am at your service.
ometimes the mind, for reasons we don't necessarily understand, just decides to go to the store for a quart of milk.

sarahjc

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 09:30:42 AM »
Campbell what kind of Banner?

I was thinking of an 3X6 foot Heavey Duty Vinyl with Grommets. Something that could be hung either in the front of a table or behind it. I haven't been able to find anything for less than $150 and that does not include shipping and taxes. I think it's a good investment as it can be used year after year.

But if you can get the same for cheaper, I am all ears.

Campbell

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 08:55:28 PM »
Quote from: "sarahjc"
Campbell what kind of Banner?

I double checked the size of the banners I was speaking of, and they were 18"x54".  We used them as draping banners.  That would look cool on a couple of poles.  However the size you speak of would probably be close to what I can get them for.  I'll check tomorrow if possible.

Candi

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 11:46:41 PM »
I'm with Shaleah.  Cool ideas.

I think the idea of lots of costumes to attract attention and hopeful initiate conversation and questions, also a good idea.

Reading a log would allow non-mudders to get a feel for what a mud is without overwhelming them with all the rules and submerging them right away.  

I liked the way many of the people who manned the tables described Mudding as an interactive, ever changing story that you can put your own stamp on.  It might be a good idea to have some good answers for standard questions already prepared for folks at the table, something they could start with.  

"Online Text-Based RPG" or something more descriptive along those lines might be more understandable to people looking at our banner and table than "Mud".  Mud is such a familiar word to us, we forget how many people have no clue what it means.  

Something on the table or behind it that could give info about cool aspects of arms...descriptions of the races, guilds, specific characters, or something that might cativate the creative interest of gamers who love character creation and are detail oriented.  Something like the kinds of visual aids you might use for an oral presentation, you know?  Pic of a mul or various different muls with description of characteristics for example?  A few well placed visual aids behind the table could be very nice.
he last thing in the world I want to do is to hurt you...
but it's still on the list.