Hostile NPCs attacking unrealistic opponents

Started by Eanroc, August 17, 2004, 10:05:38 PM

These are my views in regards to this topic:

1) The only viable assumption to make, is that if you are a human on the eastside, you should watch where you go. Certain building descriptions make it CLEAR you're in the wrong place. Its best as a rule of thumb, even from reading the documents, that humans stick to their side, and elves stick to theirs.

2) Size DOES matter. It makes absolutely no sense for you to say "If they're ravenous creatures looking for their next meal, even if it was a Half-Giant, they'd go for it". No. If you're a rat starving for days on end, you look for the 'weakest' target. A child. A stooped old man. Anything old or young. You aren't going to wantonly risk your life for a meal, because you've grown up for years starving for weeks on end. I'm not going to go more IC with the code, but leave it at that. THUS, if you see a huge human, unless if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, a 'rat isn't going to fuck with you. They've learned from years of watching that the big ones are the "rich" ones of the 'rinth. People who've eaten a lot in their life, because that muscle means a lot.

3) The attitude of "We've all been there, so suck it up", though 'aptly' put, does not either further the discussion, or pose a solution. The solution is:

Be careful. You're in the cesspool of his Royal Highness Tektolnes. No one gives a #(* about you, if you die, if you're in pain or suffering. Certaintly no one cares if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Play carefully, and you will succeed.

Play it like a H&S, and you'll get your ass handed to you on a plate.

That is all.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I love you.

I was assuming that my character was unskilled because no one had dared to fuck with him. I did take into account the fact that being that large would have to eat a lot of food, and included it in my background.

But I still love you.

Heh... I don't know at all, but there usually is at least one PC in 'rinth who does not emote..
You usually understand that he/she's not a newly loaded NPC when he/she flees head over heels :twisted:
Maybe it was not the code's fault eh?
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Perhaps the gang had gotten wind of a hit man going in for a crime-elf's ears and you just happened to walk in first.

Perhaps the NPC had some friends hidden behind, assuming they'd attack, but he just got lucky with the first hit.

Perhaps the NPC is a hard-assed guy who's offed twenty people twice the size of him.

Perhaps his rinth bitch broke up with him and he was trying to commit suicide.

Maybe he was drunk and angry.

*shrugs* Grantedly, there are reasons as to why the NPC -shouldn't- have attacked, too.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Total derailment but...

Anyone else notice carnage got a twit label on the bottom of his name? or am i imagining the obvious? :lol: