How about making peek work on unconcious people?

Started by TEH BANDIT, August 01, 2004, 04:10:46 AM

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"...and incriminated the unskilled peeker if the flag in the room was appropriate
Why incriminated?  I presume you're suggesting a wanted flag?
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

go away and start a new thread

They could change the code, or code a new command.
It would be worth coding a new command to pat down people.  If they were sleeping, they would wake up.  It would be a bit time consuming and everyone would see it happening.
frisk?

It's worth it.

I'd rather knocked out people drop what they have in their inventory than to change peek, but I've never liked the inventory system here since it allows for someone to walk around with 5 scrab shells in their inventory and still draw a two-handed trident off of their back.

Quote from: "Lazloth"Why incriminated? I presume you're suggesting a wanted flag?

That's right.

Quote from: "TEH BANDIT"go away and start a new thread

Make me.

Quote from: "TEH BANDIT"They could change the code, or code a new command.
It would be worth coding a new command to pat down people.  If they were sleeping, they would wake up.  It would be a bit time consuming and everyone would see it happening.
frisk?

If the code was changed I would support this idea.  But the code has to be changed before something like this happens.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "CRW"I'd rather knocked out people drop what they have in their inventory than to change peek, but I've never liked the inventory system here since it allows for someone to walk around with 5 scrab shells in their inventory and still draw a two-handed trident off of their back.

I can't say I love it either, but at least they'll fight like shit if they do that.

And yeah, that's actually a good idea.  They should drop everything in their inventory along with any weapons they're wielding.  A mugger who doesn't have the time to pat his victim down can just type get all and run.

QuoteI'd rather knocked out people drop what they have in their inventory than to change peek, but I've never liked the inventory system here since it allows for someone to walk around with 5 scrab shells in their inventory and still draw a two-handed trident off of their back.

They'd probably be pretty encumbered. And the alternative sucks shit for playability.

Thumbs up on the dropping everything in your inventory as well if knocked out though.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

You're joking I know... You must be joking. If a seasoned mugger knocks out an elf, he would probably kill the elf to be sure he hasn't any more packs from now on :D
Why shouldn't peek autosucceed on unconscious anyway? It's easier to kill. 'Get all body' is much easier and killing has a short lag. With an approtiate echo shown to the victim and the room and a fine delay, some players may want to stop killing anything they knocked out.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

The kill command will cause its user to become incriminated if appropriate.  I don't begrudge it.

If you drop everything when you get knocked out, no one will EVER have anything in their inventory.  Thats no fun for pickpockets!

EvilRoeSlade, I seriously believe this is worth coding.  I know how busy they are, but this would be an extreemly positive change.

Quote from: "TEH BANDIT"If you drop everything when you get knocked out, no one will EVER have anything in their inventory.  Thats no fun for pickpockets!

I'd still have stuff in my inventory.  And pickpockets aren't necessarily limited to ones inventory.

Quote from: "TEH BANDIT"EvilRoeSlade, I seriously believe this is worth coding.  I know how busy they are, but this would be an extreemly positive change.

Yes, I'd agree that it's worth coding as long as both peak and steal triggered the appropriate echos and crime-flags when unskilled thieves did it.  I don't know if it will be coded, but I'd like to see it.

Yeah, pickpocket was a terrible word to pick considering they are a class of master thieves.

I meant your average sucky noob lowish-skilled thief.
I know how hype after my first sucessfull steal with a subclass thief, it was a lumberjacks primary axe.  My hands were shaking as I slinked off.

Quote from: "CRW"I'd rather knocked out people drop what they have in their inventory than to change peek, but I've never liked the inventory system here since it allows for someone to walk around with 5 scrab shells in their inventory and still draw a two-handed trident off of their back.
I like.  But I'm still for peeking at unconscious people; maybe "patting them down" publically is fine, but there's no reason this should get the aggressor incriminated imho.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Lazloth"I like.  But I'm still for peeking at unconscious people; maybe "patting them down" publically is fine, but there's no reason this should get the aggressor incriminated imho.

Why not?  If I saw some dude patting down an unconscious person and I was a soldier, I would sure as hell grab them.

Then it is illegal to hug, by that logic.

If they aren't taking anything, or moving them, or threatening them, then I don't see how it would be illegal.

You could so easily play it off like you were trying to help them, see if they were ok, wake them up, look for medicine that they might have to take... ect.

I find you GUILTY of touching that man!
I was bandaging him!!!!
*slice*

They're not talking about bandaging dude... They're talking about examining the inventory. What will you do if someone dips a hand in your pockets? Wait till he steals?
And sorry about post above. I was only thinking about the desert.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

QuoteThey're not talking about bandaging dude... They're talking about examining the inventory. What will you do if someone dips a hand in your pockets? Wait till he steals?

Seeing as I am unconcious, yes.
You can act like you are trying to help the guy while you are actually checking him.  While an echo might say somthing to the effect of 'guy searches guy', you could rp it off like that easily.
IRL you could do that.  It dosen't matter, I'm just saying.  It shouldn't be illegal to check an unconcious person.

I'd have to agree with this.

At least if it wasn't a coded crim flag for searching an unconscious person then it would be possible to -attempt- to rp it off as something innocent...whether you are believed or not would be a different story.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

ERS, since you seem to be the main opposition to this idea, let's look at how steal currently works on unconscious or sleeping people.

It's ALREADY in game, so the imms thought it was realistic enough. Now, when stealing from a sleeping/unconscious person, there is A) no coded echo and B) no wanted flag.

Now, if stealing doesn't give me a wanted flag, why would you suggest making peek set someone wanted? Peek is only looking/patting someone down, not the actual act of taking things.

If someone is sleeping, about 99% of the time, the reason they're sleeping is because they got the crap beat out of them and lost a lot of blood. In this beaten up, blood loss weakened state they're not going to notice anything, notice how once you're asleep with a low health you can't wake up even if you wanted to? Because you're out cold and your body is trying to recover from some trauma.

I say it's a great idea and would definitely help out muggers so they can avoid killing someone.
B

Quote from: "Canadian Beaver"It's ALREADY in game, so the imms thought it was realistic enough.

You can stick a twenty cord long plank in your pack providing the plank's weight is low enough.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean that it is necessarily realistic and blessed from on high.

All in all I'm not really opposed to the idea of letting peek work on unconscious people, just wanted to chime in that being able to do something doesn't mean it's right.  Especially in regards to stealing things from a sleeping person you couldn't do unless they were passed out.

like Bestatte and Raider Moe said, delivery aside this is a great idea.

It maybe would solve two problems:

A) Cause more people to raid (which some people have asked for more of)

and

B) Make the world more difficult (especially on the sands, which a lot of the hardgore gamer vetarans have also requested.)
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

It isn't really that it would make it harsher - in fact, it would make it -less- harsh. Because at the present time, the only way to find out if someone has something in their inventory, if you don't have the peek skill, and if your victim is unconscious, is to kill them.

If someone is unarmed because they just "removed" their massive deth-blade of doom and destrukshun..like to forage for a pretty pink posie or something...

No way in hell am I gonna miss that on someone's inventory after I beat him over the head with a big stick.

But if I want to NOT miss that - I gotta kill him. And that's kinda silly and is MUCH harsher than using "peek," seeing that he has this big massive deth blade of doom and destrukshun, and hefting it up from under the guy's armpit.

I realize that this might not be an optimal solution: but its possible you could wish up, and get help searching a person. Something along the lines of: "I just mugged/found this unconscious guy in the desert, and am pilfering his belongings. Can someone help me see if there is anything worth taking in his inventory?"

It may not always work 100% of the time...and its likely we would expect you to roleplay and emote through the situation (in fact, probably be roleplaying and emoting through the -whole- situtation), but it is an option.
Tlaloc
Legend

That got me thinking,

Does it make me a bad person if I would rather pk the persons char than leave mine vulnrable for so long?

As I've always said, which is debated among players, so don't just take my advice...but if it's IC for your character to kill them, do it.  Don't search for the OOC reasons to -not- kill them.  Just do as the character would do.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "TEH BANDIT"That got me thinking,

Does it make me a bad person if I would rather pk the persons char than leave mine vulnrable for so long?

You do what your PC has gotta do. Is your PC a ruthless murderer? If so, fine, PK the person. Is your PC a greedy sneaky little shit of a thief? If so, fine, mug folk. as long as its IC FOR YOUR PC TO DO. its not going to make you look bad.

But if you are, for example a meek little slave girl, who wears little ribbons in her hair - it would then be unrealistic for you to kill and mug people.

Im having trouble following your train of thought, in one line, you comment that in the desert you have all the time in the world, then in the next you say somthing like "He may have friends only a mile away" - thats right. He MIGHT - and they just MIGHT be coming over that sand dune any moment, with that nagging in your mind, are you sure you are going to find that lump of metal in the hidden crotch pocket. Why do you feel the need to take EVERYTHING from your victims? I really hope you dont strip them naked.

But, for those who remove their valuables before getting knocked out - Shame on you. But on the other side of the coin - Shame on the thieves who resort to OOC actions just to counter "twinkish" victims.
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.