Invisible listening

Started by Vettrock, July 12, 2004, 04:17:45 AM

Why cant  invis folk -sit- at the table? Problem solved, no? No new skill no new code.
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.

Well if they're sitting at the last available seat, and someone else goes to sit down - what exactly is supposed to happen then?

examine tables

You see a table.
Lord Joe's there, and one empty seat.

sit table
There are no more seats left at the table.

think ...

bug table Hey this table's bugged

or...

think AHA! It must be an invisible magicker sitting on that chair, because invisible people CAN sit!

Kinda pointless, if you ask me. Plus it doesn't solve the problem of half-giants not being able to sit at tables and be involved in semi-private (tabletalk) conversations.

Um, I think we already have a listen skill to listen surreptitiously.  What I think we need is something that involves NO skill and is plainly obvious when done while visible so that people can listen in at a table.  No skill involved, as any skill that would cover your tracks is your (insert appropriate spell name here) or 'hide' skill.  This would primarily allow half-giants without listen to participate.

Editted to add: The other possibility is to give half-giants the listen skill racially with a low cap.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Vettrock"Why does it have to be a skill?

In my example I meant for it to be a command, not a skill.  Edited.

I agree with spawnloser.

Every character should have the ability to (unstealthily) stand close to a table to listen in on a conversation, and maybe even take part.

If the character wants to try to eavesdrop without being noticed, the 'listen' skill covers that.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Editted to add: The other possibility is to give half-giants the listen skill racially with a low cap.

I don't like this idea because listen gives you advantages beyond just being able to hear the table you are kneeling by.

I'm sure that listen at the beginner's level does little more than that, CRW.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

And yet clearly you've never used the listen skill enough to know.  It does.  It would be harder to turn on (which would defeat the purpose), but it would do everything a more advanced listener could do, minus a perk or two.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "Dirr"I'm sure that listen at the beginner's level does little more than that, CRW.

Does it allow you to listen to every table in the room?

Would you be able to do that if you were a half-giant sitting at that table and you didn't have the listen skill?

Giving all half-giants listen would be like giving anyone who has to go through a dark room every now and then the ability to see in the dark.

Hey, I was just listing that as an easy fix...I'm not saying it is the best fix.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think it'd be really cool if anyone could listen in to one table at a time. Knowing that doing so would echo to the room and that you'd have to be standing to do so.  It's not really a skill, it's just standing close to a table.

It'd let half giants listen to one table, and it'd solve the problem of invisible people being unable to listen in on conversations.

I don't know how easy to code it'd be but I think it's a good idea.

It's not like it's hard to choose listen as one of your skills to begin with.... so why all the hassle, no one's going to 'twink' out half-giant's poor listening ability. And if they do ... HA! I mock them. If it's capped at an early stage it will be fine.

Quote from: "Dirr"If it's capped at an early stage it will be fine.

Incorrect.

Low cap or not, the racial skill would allow the half-giants to listen to every table in the room. (Which would be unfair to non-hg's)

If you want listen, pick a class with it.

Not to mention, for the HG with the low listen cap, who just emoted

emote kneels beside the small purple table, next to the big blue dwarf and the little orage dwarf.
the navy blue half-giant kneels beside the small purple table, next to the big blue dwarf and the little orage dwarf.
listen
the big blue dwarf says something at the small purple table
(crap, didn't work)
listen
the little orange dwarf says something at the small purple table, winking at the big blue dwarf then looking to you questioningly.
(crap, still didn't work, what'd they say!?)
listen
at the small purple table, you overhear the big blue dwarf saying in quirky accent sirihish, looking to you, "So you think it's a good idea?"
you say (scratching his head slowly) Uh.. yeah. Me think good idea.
at the small purple table, you overhear the little orange dwarf saying in quirky accent sirihish, pushing back with a big smile, "Great!! Let's go kill that silt horror then!!"
(awww shit...)

Ok.. Obviously a silly example, but with the listen, it doesn't mean you'll be successful, even after going to the trouble of letting people know you're not being sneaky about it, you're kneeling RIGHT by the table.. But the low cap listen.. being low cap.. Just wasn't working in favor of your big dumb HG. I'm in favor of the loiter/stand by thing, for HG's and invised people. Either make it connected to a person, or a table.

emote kneels beside the small purple table, next to the big blue dwarf and the little orage dwarf.
the navy blue half-giant kneels beside the small purple table, next to the big blue dwarf and the little orage dwarf.
loiter 1
[room echoed]
The navy blue half-giant loiters next to the small purple table.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

That's just absurd.... but which version is easier to implement?

The listen is, obviously, seeing as it's already a part of the game. And yes, it was a silly example, it was supposed to be, but it still makes more sense. True, with the listen cap they'd be able to hear everything at the other tables, but that can be ignored if they're just trying to listen to the one table. Still, with the loiter or stand by, it doesn't give them the possibility to fail listening, or wear off in the middle of a conversation.

And yes, if extra code isn't necessary that's great, but the easiest way isn't always the best. If they always went with what was there because it was easier, there'd be a lot of things missing from the game now that people take for granted. I really doubt everything that's in the game now was there when they started this baby up, but the game's better for the things that were added.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted: