What is Armageddon?

Started by Tmp, June 06, 2004, 08:50:05 AM

What is Armageddon?

A shared, mass consensual hallucination of life on a harsh desert planet experienced by less than a hundred people every day.
53 (63.1%)
It's just a RPI Mud, dude.
31 (36.9%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: June 06, 2004, 08:50:05 AM

Add your own responses below. Anything from a line, to a paragraph, to an essay, or to a thesis-sized response would be gladly accepted.

It's the equivalent of movies during the Great Depression. People play it to forget their troubles and burden, as well as experience something they'll likely never be in real life. There's nothing wrong with a healthy play, but when someone is consistently logged on I have to wonder what's their problem and why they aren't there fixing it.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Armageddon is tha all-knowing merciless god of my universe, the first and last thought on my mind everyday, the reason my family fell apart, the reason my pets starved to death, the reason my skin is pale and sunlight hurts my eyes, the focus of my religion and the reason I lost my job...

or.... I'm 18 and just play this when I get bored because I live in the shitty state of Oklahoma.  :wink:
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Well I dont know what it is to the rest of you but its the only escape from my pitiful fucking life of worrying about bills and sitting behind a desk all day trying to appear that I am filling out useless forms all day long. If you ask me, if it came down to saving a human life, or having the game around for just one more day, I would definantly pick to have the game around for one more day.

This is my theory, we base the term "real life" on the idea we have a primary life, and a secondary life. If you ask me your primary life is where you spend the most time and use up the most of your resources, and your secondary life is that time between primary existence to primary existence. On an average day, I spend over half of my awake hours living in Zalanthas, so I think that makes Zalanthas my primary life, and thus this pitiful earth, my secondary existence I am forced to be in a few hours a day when I cant get to my primary life. When I wake up in the mornings, Im not thinking about work, Im not thinking about bills, the only thing on my mind is, what am I going to do when I wake up in the barreks an hour from now. And when I go to sleep at night, as far as Im concerned, I went to sleep an hour ago on a small leather cot in a dusty room surrounded by people who would willingly give thier lives for me against giant insects that would kill them for the meal. Zalanthas is a far better existence than my secondary existence, and I dont see any problem with living out Zalanthas as a primary existence, when its the only thing that keeps me from going absolutely insane. Some of you might say I am already there, but when you say insane, I say enlightened. Remember, nobody called Budda insane when he decided it was *Ok* to sit in a room for days at a time,,,so I just think I am doing the same thing, and the people of his time considered him a GOD!

So, I expect that I will be gathering my followers any day now to destroy this pathetic earth with the acception of the server, staff members, and a few of you chosen who will fall under me in my carnage!  :twisted:
oodness, courage, and love is a song. In my travels I have learned one thing, evil creatures can not sing.  -Drizzt Do'Urden-

It's just an RPI Mud, dude.

I'm going to start hiring Delirium to write my posts for me.
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

JUST AND RPI MUD....JUST AN RPI MUD!!!!!!!!! :x

HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY GOD THING. BLASPHEMY! BLASPHEMY! :o

I hope there comes a time in your life when you have to wander a desert without water or food, and you will wish you payed more attention during you "RPI MUD" experience.  :evil:

ARMAGEDDON IS THE LIFE GIVING FRUIT OF EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY AND SACRED! YOU MUST HAVE SOME HAIRY BOYS THAT WOULD RIVAL THOSE OF THE MOST WELL ENDOWED HALF GIANT TO SAY SUCH TREASONOUS THINGS.......*In his most vile voice* May you come to an end at the hands of krath, slowely dwendling into a death of dry remorse..... :twisted:
oodness, courage, and love is a song. In my travels I have learned one thing, evil creatures can not sing.  -Drizzt Do'Urden-

It's a game James. You seriously need some booty dude, I'll hook you up =)

My god White Ranger, you truly are addicted to this game. How about I come down to Houston James, and wing you. You sound like a newborn baby sucking mama's tit. And Derek A.K.A. Forest Junkie you can't hook yourself up so how are you going to hook James up? But anyways I still love you guys, and see you all when I come home, heh.
oy what the fonk you want? Big Worm

Damnt Nick and Derek, if you keep using my real name the sand sloths will find out where my cave is and come for me...you know what the sand sloths do when they come...do you want that to happen to me?

*A knock at WhiteRanger's office door* THERE HERE THERE HERE, DONT LET THE SAND SLOTHS TAKE ME *Pulls out his makeshift dagger made from last nights KFC chicken bone* COME AND GET IT YOU HAIRY SUMMA BITCHES!

WhiteRanger's boss says in southern accented english "James, what the hell is a sand sloth?"

Throw Dagger Boss

HEHEHEHEHE  :twisted:

I really debated putting this up here.

First for most people I don't think there is a problem spending as much -free- time as they want on arm.  Anything can be done to excess.  Myself I have spent an unbelievable amount of time online.  Even to the point of being seriously sleep deprived, but I do that with other things too, such as staying up all night with a book, or having a RL conversation.  Thats just me.  I've done it for years, and I know my limits.  I have a healthy relationship with my friends and family and they are quite used to what I do with my free time.  I still spend around 4+ hours a day on arm, but I balance it out with other activites.  In fact I am probably dragging myself to an open mike night tommorow, something I have always said I'd do but was too chicken to try.  I also find that I watch virually no TV these days.  In short I think that for most people it's ok to call it whatever.

For the second group of people some potentially real problems exist.  A long time ago I spent a large amount of time in a chat group, Moo type of thing.  Got to know a bunch of people personaly.  I even hired one employee from the group. Ended up being a bad thing to do.  This guy -lived- online.  It was his whole life.  He also had an ongoing, online only, relationship with a girl from the group.  They were quite close, but she refused to meet him in person.  The short sad story of this all was once night she saw him flirting online with another girl.  The next day she deleberatly(sp) and quite graphiclly killed herself.  I'm not saying that her killing herself  was directly caused by living her life vicariously through online means, but after watching how needlessly pointless these people's lives were, and how this guy buried himself into his computer after the incident,  I truly believe that some people take it too far.

Arm can be a fun and fullfilling place to be.  I know I enjoy it immensly.  It does get under your skin. But if it was this or real life, I'd take real life anyday.  I believe in having balance in your life, and I'm actually gratefull for the Sat. downtime.

Wow, I' actually amazed at how many voted for option #2. It's not -just- a mud dude, it's a freaking world. Use your freaking imagination!!!

:shock:

-GF

Social life will always take priority over Armageddon. Period. Armageddon is an awesome thing to do in free and spare time, but real life is the major priority.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Armageddon is an RPI with MUDSEX *grin*
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

It is a  fucking good game.

Oh yeah
some of my posts are serious stuff

IF YOU PEOPLE CALL IT A GAME ONE MORE TIME, AND NOT THE CENTER OF YOUR ENTIRE EXISTENCE, IM GONNA TIE YOU UP WITH DAMP LEATHER CORDING, THROW YOU OUT INTO THE MID DAY, UNTIL THE CORDING STARTS TO DRY AND SHRINK, SLOWELY SQUEZZING OUT YOUR INTERAL ORGANS THROUGH YOUR NOSE, AND THEN IM GONNA TAKE YOUR SHOES!

if you want my shoes you can just ask for the, whiteranger.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

No no..Please dont take my shoes!  

Alright, it is not a game, just..Dont you take my shoes
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "WhiteRanger"IF YOU PEOPLE CALL IT A GAME ONE MORE TIME, AND NOT THE CENTER OF YOUR ENTIRE EXISTENCE, IM GONNA TIE YOU UP WITH DAMP LEATHER CORDING, THROW YOU OUT INTO THE MID DAY, UNTIL THE CORDING STARTS TO DRY AND SHRINK, SLOWELY SQUEZZING OUT YOUR INTERAL ORGANS THROUGH YOUR NOSE, AND THEN IM GONNA TAKE YOUR SHOES!
It's just a game, heh, but don't take my shoes.
oy what the fonk you want? Big Worm

Thats it, hand over the converse pumps, and I might reconsider the slow drying leather cords, in exchange for one quick stroke of my chicken bone dagger. :evil:

Still my favorite discription of what arm is..

Quote from: "jmordetsky"

I hate this game....

It causes me intense pain, anguish, suffering and has been the largest contributor to the overall degradation of whatever semblence of a RL life I once had.

I'm hopelessly addicted and have told myself I would stop playing 3 times already this year.

This game is the the china white of the roleplaying world, and I urge you to seriously consider that once you start playing you're going to waste away like a drug addicted fiend.

When your not playing, you'll wish you were. You're going to think about it at work, tell your friends, tell your family, tell strangers, tell anyone that will listen. When you sleep....you're going have armageddon dreams.

My life revolves around this game in ways my therapist and I are only starting the understand. I *chose* my current profession in AI 4 yrs ago because of this game. I got my girlfriend addicted, she didn't know what MUD was and now she's worse off then me.

So let me tell you what I think about this game.... if you like muds, and you like RPGs, you like mushes whatever. You're done....if you play all those others are over, kapoot, finito, fait, hecho, Gemacht, fatto.

This is the grand-poobah baby, the proverbial mother-load, the dogs balls, the big daddy, the shit, the shiznit, the fucking OMG end all be-fucking-all of the of roleplaying world.

You will never be able to play another online mud/mush/graphic RPG again in your life.

They'll seem to simple, to immature, to easy, to fuzzy, to unrealistic and too lame.

You'll try to leave though,

You'll try another mud, go back to an old one.

You'll check out some different code bases...Oh yea, a circlemud, LPMud, amberMud, whatever...doesn't matter.

You'll scoff at the idea of shouts, tells, yells, chat channels, auctions, and ....(Good God stop the bile from rising in my throat)....a fucking newbie school. (*spits*)

They'll all make you sick, playing another mud will be like drinking a bottle of coors light when you normally do shots of mississippi moonshine. Like smoking a bag of schwag when you've had been on blunts of hydro for the last year.

This is it for you man. This is the red pill. You might as well walk away now and don't look back. Forget you ever heard about this place because once you start their no turning back.

Nah, I'm just playin. You'll be fine. Come on in.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I'm not so sure that either of these options accurately reflect how I interpret Armageddon. I've been involved with the mud for six or seven years now, and I still find myself -interested- in playing! For someone like me, that's quite a feat, and I know there's probably a lot of out there like me. You know, the kids that played with their nerf gun for a day and then tossed it under their bed? Sure, there have been some good, addictive games out there. Warcraft 2? Halflife? Counterstrike? Nice, but just another dusty CD on the shelf a few months later. Diablo 2? C'mon, did anyone ever this after the first solid week of hack'n'slash'n'maxing their character? Nu-uh. That's because it falls into the category of 'just a game'. Armageddon really doesn't lump into that pile. Sure, I do it for fun, but that doesn't mean it's a trivial game of checkers. I don't think I've stuck with anything as long as I have played Armageddon.
On the other hand, Armageddon is hardly the primary fuel for existence. You can take it quite seriously I suppose, and it's alright to lose a little sleep over the death of a character, but there are healthy limitations.  It's certainly an immersive experience, and that quality makes it a wonderful way to relax after a tough day at the office, but it's not worth drowning yourself over.

To me, Armageddon is a near perfect outlet for creativity and imagination. Not really a game, and not really a lifestyle, I see it as a hobby akin to painting or writing. Somehow we need to release these creative energies, and while some other methods may yield a permanent physical product, few are as flexible and complete as Armageddon. After a long stretch of performing some repetitive, mundane task (ie: a part time job), I crave a fix of Armageddon like a fat kid in a chocolate shop on his birthday the day after easter but he missed easter because he was fasting for medical reasons. I hop on arm because it's a quick and effective way to let my imagination out to play. In a day in age where I think the imagination is purposely repressed, and people are raised to be followers opposed to leaders, I think Armageddon is a wonderful hobby. While you may think that in the end the lack of a physical reward for your efforts makes it a pointless adventure, consider the vastness of the culture that you contributed too, the people you entertained, and the way Armageddon has influenced the way you think. Besides, if all that isn't enough, my children are going to have the most detailed and interesting series of bedtime stories than any other kids on the block.

Arm's great - there's only one better online game infact:
http://www.addictinggames.com/worm.html
:shock:    :D

I've been having the eerie sense for a while that armageddon mirrored many of my spiritual beliefs:

We choose our paths on some level

Co-create reality on a deeper (read OOC) or sometimes conscious level

Meet and reunite with friends from past lives

Hopefully eventually evolve and enter fully into a higher reality (that last would be me finially having a life)

..and that's just scratching the surface. Basically though, armageddon has surpassed most RPIs I've witnessed and is becoming something -more- through the mutual efforts of it's devoted staff and followers.
Maybe like in neverending story (if you recall) it will get the chance to live on into infinity, repopulating itself with the souls our minds gave birth too on another plain of existance.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Ar·ma·ged·don    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (ärm-gdn)
n.
Bible. The scene of a final battle between the forces of good and evil, prophesied to occur at the end of the world.
A decisive or catastrophic conflict.

Nuff said.

CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON
CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON
CRACKAGEDDON

CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Halaster!  Tuluk has gone to the softbellies!

DON'T LEAVE ME