Let's build a house

Started by Geekfreak, June 01, 2004, 12:39:04 PM

I don't really know how hard  it would be tor how long it would take to make a cabin, hut, tent, etc. All you'd really need is lots of wood and or lots of hide. So if  I gather up enough of this stuff in one square, can I request the imms for my character to begin crafting a building? Or is this done through email with descriptions of the building...?

If anyone has done anything simillar to this before or who knows what needs to be done, could you share your knowledge with me? Much appreciated.

-GF

I have e-mailed the staff about many of these certain things, a couple of them being a farm and a wagon. You just decide what your character would do about it, it takes many years if you do it yourself, but if you have slaves and such even shorter. You will have to work with an immortal, they will check into your work now and then, maybe see the logs that you kept, and they will decide how far you are improving in it and such. You will have to come up with all the plans and everything, maybe even the descriptions also. Also be sure that your character would know -how- to accomplish such a thing.

Hope that helps.
uppers.

You're also going to want to consider how exactly you'll prevent your building project from being destroyed by ravenous beasts and territorial tribesmen.  With so few resources available in Zalanthas, what exists is fiercly battled for.  An unprotected house or cabin is going to look mighty appealing to passersby.  What's to stop a tribe of raider elves from stomping your little homeland into the ground, or occupying it even?

Because it's in a secret area...?

Ya, I'll rethink it.

-GF

It sure is a cool idea.  Given the size of the Known World though there probably isn't much of a place you'd want to build a house that wouldn't have someone or something come along and tear it to hell.  Would be cool to start a ranch or something out in the desert, have cattle type animals.  Water wouldn't be a problem if you build near a watering hole, only food would.  Perhaps somewhere on Zalanthas there is a place like that, outside of the Known World.  *sigh*
hake: He's in a better place now.
Frylock: He's in the grille of that truck!

The thought of a watering hole being unguarded by some kind of tribe seems extremely unlikely to me.  Water is too valuable a resource.  The tribe might not kill those who draw small amounts from the watering hole, but if someone built a structure nearby, i think a 'visit' would be likely.

Yeah, I like it Meatwad. If I made something in a fairly isolated area and just made it small, I'm sure it could survive. And as for water, I could just travel to cities in order to get supplies. The idea is cool. I'll probably go along with it in the near future.

But shhh. No one's supposed to know!  8)

-GF