Disease

Started by The Lonely Hunter, May 26, 2004, 04:38:37 PM

Personally, I would love to see more diseases. I beleave I remember one coded disease that went around or...something. It was when I first started so its a bit sketchy.

Anyway, I would love to see some diffrent types of diseases out there. Some spreadable, some not. Some minor, some major. Maybe certain herbs would supress the effects and help you get better faster.
Diffrent areas can have an increased chance of you contracting a disease, like the sewers or the rinth.

I dunno...just some ideas thrown out there for you guys to comment on ;)
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Oh yes. I love this. It would add to the harsh feeling. Coded diseases should however not be too common, it would be annoying to catch an illness every RL week by just sitting in taverns. And the effects should not be too drastic, except maybe in a few rare cases.

It would give physician PCs more to do, and justify their role even more  :D

As much as I like this...I'm sure someone will come along with this counter:

Some of us don't want to RP out certain situations like diseases

:(

I can feel it comming now...
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Some of us don't want to RP out certain situations like diseases
hake: He's in a better place now.
Frylock: He's in the grille of that truck!

Some of us don't want to die.

EDIT: Err.. I was sarcastic..
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Seriously though, why not just act like you have one?  Doesn't have to be coded.  If I codedly had a contagious disease, I would so spread it to every PC I could find.  Especially if I knew it was deadly.  Cuz of course my PC would know it was going to die, and he is such a bastard he would take as many people down with him haha I'm awesome.

Would be kinda cool, but I'm not really in favor of it.

I am. I wouldnt like to be walking around and suddenly see.

You feel sick as a diesease takes you.

But I would like to see

The shit-covered thowing knife flies in from the west and hits you.

You feel sick with infection.

I think there should be support for coded diesease, it could pretty well just be an offshoot of the poison code.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I've heard the 'I dont want to RP so-and-so' so many times heh.

Well...you have HPs that you lose, stun that you lose, stamina that you lose, spice effects, drinking effects, magickal effects...etc etc etc etc.

Well, I don't want to RP I am hurt unless I feel like it, screw it if I have 0 hps =)

What, I cant move? Well, I refuse to RP I am tired!

Poisoned? Bah, I feel fine.

Hopefully you get the point.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

I for one am sick of people that do that. I've seen a ton of people idle out just because they don't want to RP anything, they just want to rush throuhg it ant get it done with.
Sorry for derailing, but I just have to say that I don't think that's a real reason for anything.

In fact, if you think about it, the only reason people do that is because they're lazy.
"Obesity is -NOT- the #1 killer in America these days, lazyness is." This is cuz people are soooo lazy that they can't get up out of their chair and walk father than the fridge.

Alright I'm waaaayyy derailing so I'll stop now.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

You're so wrong Trenidor, laziness doesn't kill anyone, death does.  If we were to all stop meeting up with death, we wouldn't die.  Ha, yeah...boredom.

The argument I want the choice is a very valid one. I wouldnt want to see random pregnancy code when there's been over 10 emotes in a row with  dirty words in them... or would I? muah.

Code that takes away from playability is stupid, senseless and ultimately doomed to make it less fun. Things like bathroom breaks etc. Those would really spoil the mood.

Things like Disease however, thats a RL thing, it's something that may hinder you yes, but not in a senseless way, in a very dangerous and realistic to the game world sense. Anyone that says playability will be effected is right, but it will be effected for the better.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Dakkon  you are probably right, however, I just want to include what you said earlier.  I'd want coded diseases for coded causes, and anyone can RP a virtual one from a virtual cause.  So if that plague ridden wench eats half your steak, then you eat it, you should have a chance of getting a coded disease.  Who knows how resistant to such things these people are though.  Of course, race would have to factor in as well.

Some people do choose to roleplay out getting sick or coming down with different afflictions.  Some characters have even died because of such things.  (That would be a good way to lead up to retiring a character, if the need arises.)
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I've played a diseased character. It was fun. I roleplayed out the disease, but her stats reflected it well enough (poor endurance), so it wasn't much of a stretch to further it with some emoted and RPd effects. I doubt it really needs coding in, though it might be fun to see someday.