Bodies. And fun things to do on Barani.

Started by Sakra, November 17, 2002, 07:52:46 PM

What do you think?

Yes, I want my bodies to rot.
60 (65.2%)
No you fool, bodies stay exactly the same -then- instantaneously turn into dust.
4 (4.3%)
I see dead people.
28 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: November 17, 2002, 07:52:46 PM

What do you guys think about having bodies change desc over time? It's probably been brought up before, but I didn't see it on this forum.

Ex:
The body of lanky, tattooed elf lies here.
*One or two days later*
The rotting body of the lanky, tattooed elf lies here.
*More times passes*
The heavily decomposed body of an elf lies here, making you gag.
*Another day or so*
The skeletal remains of an elf is here half-buried in the sand.

They do have skeleton objects, we've seen them. Perhaps have the same thing for heads.

On another note, what about skinning people? I've had a character or two who wouldn't mine an elf-skin cloak.
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

IMHO, I would not mind seeing this idea bear fruit.  There have been many a time when I would have liked to known how long ago a person was killed, not knowing if said killing just happened, or if it was several hours/days ago.  Haveing the rotting remains of an elf nailed to the gates of Allanak would certainly cause me pause before I gave heed to thoughts of theft.

As for the idea of skinning the corpses of PCs, I too have often wanted to do such a thing.  For some reason, haveing a Character walk into the Gaj or Sanctuary a necklace of human/elvan skulls adorning his/her neck sort of appeals to my black, blood loveing heart.  I know that there is a humanoid NPC that you can skin to get meat off of, but the effort involved in getting one is just too much what with the changes in the code and all.

He, he, he...just think of running into this while traveling along the North Road:

The wild halfing hunter bends down and snaps a finger bone off of the half-roted remains of the blond, muscular human and raises it to his mouth to pick at a gob of meat in his teeth.

The wild halfing hunter says, in Kentu, turning from the half-roted remains of the blond, muscular human to glance at you, grinning broadly:
"Hmm...Not as flavorful as this well cured hunk of meat...but then again, it's fresh!
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I like it.  Makes sense. Adds to the realism of the MUD.  Skinning them for skulls would be nice.  The skin however is different.  Skin on humanoids is taut, and you wouldn't really be able to strip the skin and craft it into a cloak or anything it's just not thick enough like an animals hide, now scalping would be interesting.

I believe this is already underway; it is currently being done for things in the desert.  Re: meks
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

I mailed the people skinning idea to the mud, acctually, along with some items that you would skin out of the corpses and crafting items for those items.  I'm not sure if they're putting it in, though, because it was a while ago.  Sanvean said that she would discuss it, but there were issues about people killing other people just to get the items from thier corpse, or something.

I don't think corpses should decay at all.   Having corpses around makes the game seem more gritty and interesting to me.  It's much better to stumble upon a corpse on the north road than it is to stumble upon a pile of equipment.

But I do think some agro beasties should then get some auto-skin or auto-eat script, so we don't have a return to the carru-gortok wars of '99.

Many corpses of a brown carru are here
Many corpses of a wild, mangy gortok are here.
A brown carru is here, fighting a wild, mangy gortok.
A wild, mangy gortok is here, fighting a brown carru.
Ah, the mysteries of the universe.  Try to understand them, but can you?  Nope! They're mysteries!

Quote from: "Xanous"I don't think corpses should decay at all.
I agree with this but would also like to see the decay script introduced. However instead of having it decay to nothing, you just have it decay to "a tall skeleton with bits of flesh lies here"

Quote from: "Xanous"But I do think some agro beasties should then get some auto-eat script
Already in place. They also only eat if they're hungry as well!

Quote from: "Delerak"The skin however is different.  Skin on humanoids is taut, and you wouldn't really be able to strip the skin and craft it into a cloak or anything it's just not thick enough like an animals hide, now scalping would be interesting.

You're obviously not familiar with Thomas Harris, Buffalo Bill, or the Silence of the Lambs.  Human skin can be used to make clothing, its been done in the past, both in fiction and in the real world.  :roll:
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Acctually, I beleive it is possible, and has been done, in making things out of human/humanoid skin. Normally isn't something that is greatly durable or anything, and ussually is made out of several layers just for a thin piece.

Maybe make it so you have to have several skins just to make anything. Have two different options, one making things out of untanned things, and two tanning it. Untanned skins of course would degrade over time being even less durable then animal skins, also probably would smell bad like wearing untanned animal skin. The tanned ones would be permanent(wouldn't degrade) and wouldn't stink as much.(Could take use of the sniff code with untanned stuff, sniff someone and they smell like rotten flesh).

I think it'd be nifty, I'm sure not alot of people would all the suddenly be running around in elf-skin cloaks or anything as most of the inhabinants are alittle more civilized then that, but have your elf-skin money purse for good luck against thieves, or some wierd things like that.

Or just not allow skins to be craftable and just keep them for trophies, have one room for skins, and skulls and such, this room for all the other trophies.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

You could also make it illegal to go around with items made from dead "people". Not code illegal, just illegal so PC templars and militia can go around jailing people who are caught with items made from dead "people".

I'm sure in "civilised" places wearing people as cloaks would be illegal. Yes even if it was a cloak made from an elf.

When I say illegal, I don't mean make it coded, more like illegal as in, it's illegal to be a merchant without a merchant's token in Allanak sort of illegal.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Back in my day, we needed a trigger to get the shoes of the corpse. The darn things turned to dust before they even hit the ground! And of course, skinning animals was impossible.
I've been away from Zalanthas for some time, but I still think you all are kank shit. Don't worry, I'll come back and fix it up. By the way, has anyone found, like, water? This desert is getting old.

QuoteI believe this is already underway; it is currently being done for things in the desert. Re: meks

I've gotten no feedback on this whatsoever, so I'm questioning whether or not it's worth continuing to work on.

Has anyone killed and skinned a mek since it was impped?

HAS anyone killed and skinned a mek lately?

But yes, I had a Byn Lieutenant who skinned (after the ummm...  guard took it out...  I could've done it, I swear!) a mekillot.  However, that was then, this is now.  It CAN happen, people.  And some day...  history will repeat itself.

Saitorr - stepped in Mek dung...  Great, these are new boots too.

Mekillots are not easy to kill.
'Nuff said.

Exactly, so little feedback should be expected, sorry Sanvean, I'll kill a mek ASAP to get back to you on it :D

Ok, if I can keep this char alive till like feb. and find like 6 other 30day+ chars we will go out and look at a mek then run away:)

Does anyone really hunt mek?

I wanna skin a salt worm.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I agree, saltworms should be skinable, so you can at least get the spikes on them, who else loves them oldschool spiked bracers!?

Thought the old school spiked ones were duskhorn? Maybe those were just the ones I saw :D

Quote from: "X-D"Ok, if I can keep this char alive till like feb. and find like 6 other 30day+ chars we will go out and look at a mek then run away:)

Does anyone really hunt mek?

Someone must, because there is always plenty of mek leather armor in 'nak.  At least there is always plenty of armor those Salarri claim is mek leather, but who trusts damned merchants?

8) Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Well an Imm -could- watch someone as they travel around mek territory and kill a mek that they can stumble across, as I think it's an extremely worthy task, but very hard to get feedback on. Also salt worms are skinnable.

I say the imms just let me log in on Saturday, make me uber, kill a mek, skin it, I give feedback, then they don't let me play for a week :P

QuoteJohn Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:01 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well an Imm -could- watch someone as they travel around mek territory and kill a mek that they can stumble across, as I think it's an extremely worthy task, but very hard to get feedback on. Also salt worms are skinnable.

Since when, and why did nobody tell me, I know as of june of this year it would not let me do it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"Since when
I have no idea, but about a month ago I found a dead salt worm in the salt flats and skinned it. It was cool cause I still got an item despite the fact I had never skinned anything in my characters life!

I think Given the fact that now people realise Meks and Salt Worms are skinnable there will be a lot more hunters going into the Salt Flats. and a lot more character applications  :twisted:

I'm surprised no-one mentioned making it part of a skill, like a ranger could squat beside a decaying corpse and determine more precisely how long ago it died.

I guess if animals left dung/spoor, you could do the same thing.

neko

I say Rot on Baby..Rot on!
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Rot is awesome. IT would be uber cool if there was a forensics skill. SO you can turn

A rotting corpse  into

An elf's rotting corpse      or if you are good

The shady-browed slim elf's rotting corpse

and maybe reveal description.

Perhaps

> death elf

> You check The shady-browed slim elf's rotting corpse for death signs

The shady-browed slim elf's rotting corpse died from a massive dagger wound to the thorax

say (standing slowly) Tha' bloody assasin again

And what about using scribble on a body?

> Look body

>  Three lines are cut into the chest of this corpse. In the center of the lines is a circle.

>  Say (Sighing) This bloody sicko again... we'll find him

Or once your skill is 1337

Look elf's massive dagger wound to the thorax

> A jagged bone dagger was used to make this wound
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Dakkon Black's idea would be very well accepted by me. I really like it. However, the coding...oh gods. The hassle. Still, I think that it would be worth it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

What is, and what is not skinnable in-game is IC sensitive information. Please refrain from posting things like that.
Tlaloc
Legend