Thieves

Started by TripleX, May 13, 2004, 06:36:25 PM

I know that people have been discussing it over and over again, but to some degree it still pisses me off.  A thief slips inside a tavern, he steals a sword hanging from your belt, it's a clean steal, you didn't feel it code wise, nothing, yet the victim automatically looks at him saying he's the thief. Why, why, why people keep doing that? There are tons of VNPC in the tavern; the victim didn't spot that PC stealing from him, so why say it is him. Sorry, but I simply hate it. It's like a never ending discussion regarding thieves.

I've blamed people I've known OOC were innocent of stealing, just because of their race and their close proximity to me because thats what i figured was IC at the time.  

Also, you might not have all the information.  They might have seen you, you just didn't realize they saw you.

I am trying to take in this theiving living. I have never played one before, but this one I think is gonna be fun. I am sure to rp well with the character though. Lifes not fair. I was stolen from lots with my past characters, now I am stealing back.
uppers.

You guys get too angry over a lost sword.

If you don't want something stolen, hide it.  It's the danger of having badass equipment on display...other people want it :P

I know people can twink steal, but the easiest way to avoid grief...is to avoid the situation completely, rather than lose it and then try to put a guilt trip on the fella who stole it.

Most thieves are guiltless  :twisted:
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

One reason why I have never played a theif before, because it is not who I am as a player. I feel kind of bad stealing from other players (because I know how it feels), but not from npcs and stuff... I dunno..
uppers.

My next character is going to be a thief.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Does anyone mug people?  Hold them at knife point?  That'd be great rp rather than robbing people blind without an emote.

I blame people out of randomatity, race, or if I have a lead to someone that I think could be a theif. If I think your a theif, and someone else steals from me...it's likely the person I Think is a theif will get blamed, not the actuall theif.

The only reason I ever recognize it is because my char will go to look down and get the item out he has, then jump to conclusions
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Yeah, but the problem with that is they can't do that in the middle of a tavern, or in public, there are to many soldiers around and stuff, but yes, there are such people who mug, but they are rarely seen now-a-days, even if so, they are seen outside the gates of any city, in my opinion.  That is what some players need to start doing, is making there own raiding groups, it is lacking much.
uppers.

problem with muggings..is the spam-flee morons
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Patience..

That's all I have to say.  :twisted:

(Of course, character concepts have this way of warping and twisting far beyond what you'd originally intended, but... hey. Somebody out there is working on it!)

Muggings will never happen.  Why?  Because no one is willing to play a weak character.  Everyone wants to play the hero who never gets fucked over.  No one is willing to actually play a realistic character who fears for his/her life, because we all know that the person mugging you probably can't actually a) steal from you or b) beat you up.  And if they do try, chances are that they'll get crimeflagged.  I can't really say if this is a flaw in the code, or a flaw in RP, or the fact that no matter how perma-death this game is, we still only play it as a game.  If a big dude came at me in the street, I'm not gonna just pull out my two obsidian knives and defend myself.  That fucker's getting my wallet, though you better believe I'm immediately cancelling my credit cards...
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Well can any of you say you would play the victim if you were say, playing a merchant character?  Or would you simply e; e; e?

It'd be better if people relied less on coded things like the kill command or running, and simply played out situations.  But then again, most of us are mostly human, so mostly we make mistakes.
hake: He's in a better place now.
Frylock: He's in the grille of that truck!

Quote from: "TripleX"I know that people have been discussing it over and over again, but to some degree it still pisses me off.  A thief slips inside a tavern, he steals a sword hanging from your belt, it's a clean steal, you didn't feel it code wise, nothing, yet the victim automatically looks at him saying he's the thief. Why, why, why people keep doing that? There are tons of VNPC in the tavern; the victim didn't spot that PC stealing from him, so why say it is him. Sorry, but I simply hate it. It's like a never ending discussion regarding thieves.

Well, if they picked the right person who was the thief then it wasn't exactly as clean as you thought.  Basically, there are other considerations than just code considerations when thieving.  You have to pick the moment properly, know when to strike, and when to make a clean get away.  

Someone who acts suspiciously (ie, walks in, stays standing, keeps looking at different people, doesn't do anything overtly, and during that time frame something is stolen...) well, we all know who is gonna get blamed.  

This is where the whole roleplaying bit comes in.  A good thief will mark a target, scope them out, and pick the time.  An opportunistic thief will get caught while a cautious and thinking thief can get away with close to murder.

Quote from: "uberjazz"Muggings will never happen.  Why?  Because no one is willing to play a weak character.  Everyone wants to play the hero who never gets fucked over.  No one is willing to actually play a realistic character who fears for his/her life, because we all know that the person mugging you probably can't actually a) steal from you or b) beat you up.  And if they do try, chances are that they'll get crimeflagged.  I can't really say if this is a flaw in the code, or a flaw in RP, or the fact that no matter how perma-death this game is, we still only play it as a game.  If a big dude came at me in the street, I'm not gonna just pull out my two obsidian knives and defend myself.  That fucker's getting my wallet, though you better believe I'm immediately cancelling my credit cards...

That's not true.  You must, however, take into account the characters that you're dealing with.  The fact is, on Zalanthas, a big percentage of the population are people who a) actually do have a relatively good chance of getting away not-dead if they fight back (not only because of the tough work they have to do, but because it's not likely their attacker is much better armed than themselves) or b) have a guard.
Also, take into account the fact that in real life, you might lose your wallet to a mugger.  A Zalanthan might have everything they own with them.
If you choose your mark with care, I'd bet that things would go smoothly for you.