Can you think of anything -bad- about arm?..

Started by ashjpd, May 08, 2004, 09:23:31 AM

Is there something that you REALLY dislike about arm?

A-Yes
55 (59.8%)
B-No
37 (40.2%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Voting closed: May 08, 2004, 09:23:31 AM

What I hate:
Combat system (you have to ~hit~ to get better, but if you spar a really good fighter, There is no ~hitting~. Which means no getting better)
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Maybe42or54>

It's the other way around.  You gain skill by failing.  That means you get better when you get hit and when you miss.  Fighting a skilled fighter is better than fighting a pushover.

Noble Houses
I don't really see the point in having so many different noble houses when their differences are nominal and their spread out nature makes them chronically underpopulated.  I'd rather have clans that are different from each other, have obvious tasks and goals for their members, and create conflict that is both obvious and accessible.  This would also be possible with major revamping of the noble houses, but right now they just can't support anything that I consider meaningful.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "Malken"I pretty much agree with everything that Callisto just wrote.. Especially the random stats and the short description limit..

Longer sdescs would be extremely annoying. Its like when you get that double cloak/facewrap sdesc, or a couple ppl do in your group and your trying to ride somewhere. Just adds a lot of spam. And you know some people will abuse it, making extremely long ones.

What I don't like:
The mass combat system. (or its lack thereof)

I don't like how some people think that every room in the city is full of VNPC's willing to turn you in every hour of every day.

The coded economy and the coded merchant clans. It'd be nice if there was some kind of economic system such that the argument 'You shouldn't sell so many of high price item A every week' would never come up. The merchant houses are pretty boring in my opinion. Now if they were all destroyed or one was and a bunch of pc run groups tried to fill the void, now that'd be interesting.

The noble houses I've seen are pretty dull as well. I think if you closed down all the noble houses, they wouldn't be missed by me anyway.

Lack of criminal PC's. I agree with Jhunter's post about that.

Karma. Its a good idea in theory. But so is communism.

Lack of conflict. How can I say this after recent events? Well mostly it seemed the conflict was just a very few very large events. There wasn't a long period of time where mantis scoured the entire north road, making travel impossible.  It also seems the merchant houses and others have this whole 'let us join together to face our common enemy' mentality that I hope goes away quick.

Quote1. Players who don't seem to be able to see beyond the code.
Thankfully this is not a huge deal, but I've seen alot of discussion here that leads me to believe many players simply don't understand how powerful decent roleplay is at opening up their PC's horizons....regardless of hard-coded benefits or restrictions.

I'll believe that when a merchant becomes a sergeant in the Byn.[/u][/url]
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Quote from: "Dirr"I'll believe that when a merchant becomes a sergeant in the Byn.[/u][/url]

That will be my project in the future then, everything is possible.
There aint much I would like to add that I dislike about arm except for burglars, they are needed, but me as the player hates them in general. :wink:

Oh, also when the game crashes, like it just did. :roll:
uppers.

Quote from: "Dirr"I'll believe that when a merchant becomes a sergeant in the Byn.

Players don't normally appoint sergeants. Tlaloc does.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

What I don't like about the game are such minor things that they don't really warrant a vote, so I will not. I'm sure someone has voted both options without writing a comment, so it evens out. :)

What I don't like is not about the game but about other things. One was already mentioned by someone earlier: The RP police.

The other is this fairly recent, but frequent, complaint coming from a couple of people that some (or even all) Noble Houses should be closed. Or Merchant Houses, for that matter.
  I cannot speak for others, but I find it personally discouraging to read on these boards how Tuluk and especially Tuluki nobility being open to players is ruining the game. I have spent so many hours playing this character over the last ten months and I know others have worked very hard to make things work, the staff especially.

Live and let live. People like different things, please, if you don't like something, play somewhere else. Let those, who enjoy the parts of the game you don't, have their fun instead of yelling 'Carthage must be destroyed' at every opportunity.

If you like the way things are now, I understand that.  But I don't think that should preclude the possibility of trying out something that could be even better.
Back from a long retirement

QuotePlayers don't normally appoint sergeants. Tlaloc does.

I realize this.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Quote from: "Dirr"
QuotePlayers don't normally appoint sergeants. Tlaloc does.

I realize this.

Then why would you make that comment to a post about players not seeing behind the code?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "ashjpd"Vote, and then -please- post what you dislike about arm, I am curious to know, and I bet others would want to know also.
    * Lack of ANSI colour (you can turn if off if you like monochrome, you know)
    * Command delay which mimics a laggy connection
    * Habitual disappearance of emails to and from the imms
    * Slow reply speed to emails
    * Saturday downtime
    * Low playerbase (outside peak hours) and the resulting difficulty in finding a merchant, a Nenuyki agent, etc.
    * No coded ability to leave messages which sometimes creates serious unrealistic communication problems between PCs
    * Losing your link will often get your character killed or robbed
    * Black-and-white criminal code
    * The alleged unfairness, favoritism and bias that arises from the Karma system
    * Some more or less common thoughts within the playerbase:
      - Harshness means death
      - Emoting means RP, and vice versa
      - Stop whining
      - Realism precedes playability
      - Secrets are the core of the game, and when you find them out, the game is not the same anymore
    * The web site looks like something straight from 1993 and probably doesn't help to bring new players
    * GDB pollution where people cannot understand that comments like
    "me too",
    "I'm so excited",
    "(beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep)",
    "Tick...Tock...Tick...Tock..."
    "I'm pumped"
    [/list]... just waste everyone's time when they are not posted to the Idle OOC Chatter section.[/list]Those were the first things that I could think of.

Quote from: "Zore"- Stop whining

The irony is so blatant it hurts.

And as for colour, one of my pet hates about other muds is when you can't actually read certain words because they're so pink.

X-D is unable to stop himself....

Quote* Lack of ANSI colour (you can turn if off if you like monochrome, you know)

The lack of ansi color is to help get the correct feel, Zalanthas is not a bright happy place.

Quote* Command delay which mimics a laggy connection

First, not all commands have delay, second, the delay is in place on some commands for a reason, First, it puts everybody on an even footing reguardless of connection speed, and second, it adds strategy to the game.

Quote* Black-and-white criminal code

That is not armageddon, that is Zalanthas.

Quote* The alleged unfairness, favoritism and bias that arises from the Karma system

I don't see it.

Quote* Some more or less common thoughts within the playerbase:

- Harshness means death
    - Emoting means RP, and vice versa
    - Stop whining
    - Realism precedes playability
    - Secrets are the core of the game, and when you find them out, the game is not the same anymore

Hhhmm, mostly right, I personaly think death is pretty harsh.

And yes, many people think emoting=RP even though it has been stated otherwise many times over

Playability precedes realism, I personally don't know anybody that feels otherwise.

And reword the last and it would be correct...The secrets of the game are much more fun to find out IC, finding them out ooc takes away from your enjoyment.

Quote* The web site looks like something straight from 1993 and probably doesn't help to bring new players

Yes it does, it helps to bring players who are serious, it is not fancy with cute pictures and music, it is a utility not entertainment itself.

The only thing I don't like about the game currently is the closed race options.
    A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
    Lizzie:
    If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

QuoteThe lack of ansi color is to help get the correct feel, Zalanthas is not a bright happy place.
    ANSI colour is not for happiness, but to help people distinct different elements. People with the skill can program their clients, but everyone else is just left out.
    QuoteFirst, not all commands have delay, second, the delay is in place on some commands for a reason, First, it puts everybody on an even footing reguardless of connection speed, and second, it adds strategy to the game.
    Read my point again. The delay is poorly implemented. There should be a command delay. It shouldn't be so that it just appears like your connection is lagging.

No, that is Armageddon. The game in question. The code in question.
    QuoteHhhmm, mostly right, I personaly think death is pretty harsh.
    That wasn't my point. Harshness doesn't mean death. Death is the most uninventive way to create harshness.
    QuotePlayability precedes realism, I personally don't know anybody that feels otherwise.
    How about shops' closing times? Adds no RP opportunities and just makes sure that those who don't OOCly have so much time in their hands have more difficulties buying things.
    QuoteAnd reword the last and it would be correct...The secrets of the game are much more fun to find out IC, finding them out ooc takes away from your enjoyment.
    That's the official tagline. Your mileage may vary.
    Quote* The web site looks like something straight from 1993 and probably doesn't help to bring new players
    Yes it does, it helps to bring players who are serious, it is not fancy with cute pictures and music, it is a utility not entertainment itself.
    Gee, maybe we should delete the newbie documentation too, to only bring serious players?

It isn't like we would want to make Arm look like a modern, friendly MUD game.

Quote from: "Spoon"And as for colour, one of my pet hates about other muds is when you can't actually read certain words because they're so pink.
    The ANSI color standard contains 8 normal and 8 highlighted colours, and codes for bold, underline, blinking and reverse video.

With a good client you can set these colours to be what you want, or turn them all off if you like your Arm harsh. But see, we don't have options at all.

Quote from: "Spoon"
    I will have to agree on that one.

As far as other things...

Quote from: "Zore"
    QuoteFirst, not all commands have delay, second, the delay is in place on some commands for a reason, First, it puts everybody on an even footing reguardless of connection speed, and second, it adds strategy to the game.
    Read my point again. The delay is poorly implemented. There should be a command delay. It shouldn't be so that it just appears like your connection is lagging.
    It is poorly implemented?  Saying a thing doesn't make it so.  Tell us why you think it is poorly implemented.
    Uh, Zore, he was saying that on Zalanthas, things are kinda black and white as far as law-enforcement goes, so the crim-code is just fine.
    QuotePlayability precedes realism, I personally don't know anybody that feels otherwise.
    How about shops' closing times? Adds no RP opportunities and just makes sure that those who don't OOCly have so much time in their hands have more difficulties buying things.
    Hey, without realism, the game wouldn't be what it is.  Some playability has to be sacrificed to realism and vice-versa.
    QuoteAnd reword the last and it would be correct...The secrets of the game are much more fun to find out IC, finding them out ooc takes away from your enjoyment.
    That's the official tagline. Your mileage may vary.
    What point is there in watching a movie when you already know the end?
    Gee, maybe we should delete the newbie documentation too, to only bring serious players?
    There's a difference between bringing serious players only and not bringing anyone.  Suggesting something that is obviously an over-reactive bit of tripe will never endear someone to your point of view.
    Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
    Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"
    Quote from: "Spoon"
    I will have to agree on that one.

It's not ironic at all. He is saying he doesn't like the fact that when anyone disagrees with something about the mud they are shouted down with calls of "whiner'. At leasts that's my interpretation of it. And ironically he is right. Someone ASKED him what hated, and when he answers, you all label him a whiner? He didn't just post it out of the blue, someone asked.

Did Spoon or I say he was a whiner?  I don't believe that I did.  I was just saying that the irony amused me, considering this thread is all about whining about what you think isn't right about the mud...as if it might change something.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Did Spoon or I say he was a whiner?  I don't believe that I did.  I was just saying that the irony amused me, considering this thread is all about whining about what you think isn't right about the mud...as if it might change something.

If its so pointless, why are you posting on it?

I'm only discussing what others have posted.

Quote from: "spawnloser"It is poorly implemented?  Saying a thing doesn't make it so.  Tell us why you think it is poorly implemented.
    I said, twice. It feels like a laggy connection. I've been to muds where they have solved the movement lag problem with consecutive messages like "You start moving southwards", that's one way of solving them.

And moreover, combat lag seriously delays emotes and such, and since emotes often are not transmitted to the mud, it makes emoting during combat a real pain. Apparently all commands are stacked to the delay queue, even those that should have zero delay.

QuoteUh, Zore, he was saying that on Zalanthas, things are kinda black and white as far as law-enforcement goes, so the crim-code is just fine.
    Things are not black-and-white on Zalanthas. There are different levels of crime. There are different odds at getting caught. These depend on factors like time, place, skill, the type of crime and such. The length of detention is absurdly small, but I don't have serious problems with that since it's a playability issue.

If the code actually does more than just roll the dice to see if every single soldier in the city comes after you, it does a good job in hiding it.

Quote from: "Zore"How about shops' closing times? Adds no RP opportunities and just makes sure that those who don't OOCly have so much time in their hands have more difficulties buying things.
    Hey, without realism, the game wouldn't be what it is.  Some playability has to be sacrificed to realism and vice-versa.
    Yes, realism is good, as long as it helps to provide a good environment for RP. And often it does. In the shop case, it doesn't.

Quote[Secrets]
    What point is there in watching a movie when you already know the end?
    There is no end to Armageddon or Zalanthas. Armageddon isn't a movie.
    Quote[The web page and its look]
    There's a difference between bringing serious players only and not bringing anyone.  Suggesting something that is obviously an over-reactive bit of tripe will never endear someone to your point of view.
    Hey, all I'm saying that having a more modern web pages, like most MUDs have, wouldn't hurt. I'd hate to think the 1993 layout is there to entice a certain type of player.

Quote from: "spawnloser"I'm only discussing what others have posted.

So you don't have anything that you yourself dislike about Arm? What a good boy. Or you don't want to post it because its easier to just tear down someone else's post then express something of your own? Or you think its pointless, so pointless that you feel  the need to discuss someone elses post point by point?

Quote from: "Dead Newbie"
    Quote from: "spawnloser"I'm only discussing what others have posted.

So you don't have anything that you yourself dislike about Arm? What a good boy. Or you don't want to post it because its easier to just tear down someone else's post then express something of your own? Or you think its pointless, so pointless that you feel  the need to discuss someone elses post point by point?
    What's with all the hostility?

I don't feel like discussing what I dislike, as it is something that will not change if I discuss it.  I'm discussing what others have mentioned as I like to discuss things.

Now, kindly bring your hostile ass elsewhere.

QuoteZore wrote:
    - Stop whining

Notice I made no mention on my post because Zore...and Dead newbie are correct on that one.

Onward

QuoteRead my point again. The delay is poorly implemented. There should be a command delay. It shouldn't be so that it just appears like your connection is lagging.

I don't understand what you mean by poorly implemented, it works perfectly, and always has. Or maybe you want a ticker or something on your prompt saying that you are under command delay. That is a point you left out, people who play this game wish to be immersed, and will often ask that things that are jarring be removed, I would, if such a thing were put in. But another reason to not have it SPECIALY not for new players is that it is something that makes the player focus even more on code, why, cause there it is, staring you in the face. The delays make sense in thier implementation, from move delay to skill delay to casting and crafting delay, Only thing I've always thought is that the delays should be warned about on the main web page.
    QuoteI've been to muds where they have solved the movement lag problem with consecutive messages like "You start moving southwards", that's one way of solving them.
    The one thing I truly despise about SoI...an otherwise good mud.

No, the crim code in question works the way it does because of the world it is for, if it was a different world the crim code would be different. Zalanthian law -IS- black and white.

QuoteThat wasn't my point. Harshness doesn't mean death. Death is the most uninventive way to create harshness.

No, the end result of harshness should be death, else there is no threat and no harshness.

QuoteHow about shops' closing times? Adds no RP opportunities and just makes sure that those who don't OOCly have so much time in their hands have more difficulties buying things

If you are going to quote something that is realistic and has a miner affect
    on playability then I shall do the same but the opposit, How about the fact that your char Never has to sleep, no matter how long he/she remains awake, a Large sacrifice of realism for playability, Or that he will never have a bowel movement unless you rp one?

QuoteHey, all I'm saying that having a more modern web pages, like most MUDs have, wouldn't hurt. I'd hate to think the 1993 layout is there to entice a certain type of player.

Why would you hate that? We -do- only want to attract certain types of players, I for one hope that the "1993 layout" Is there for that reason, as well, as keeping the web page a simple tool.
    A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
    Lizzie:
    If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job