Can you think of anything -bad- about arm?..

Started by ashjpd, May 08, 2004, 09:23:31 AM

Is there something that you REALLY dislike about arm?

A-Yes
55 (59.8%)
B-No
37 (40.2%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Voting closed: May 08, 2004, 09:23:31 AM

I don't see why people don't get, at least, temp. banned (from GDB, or even Arm itself) for being absolute mongs in the respective place.. It'd be a nice slap in the the face to the rude, inconsiderate trolls who thrive here.

Note: I've been guilty of some flaming in the past..but I actually stopped when people told me flaming was wrong.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

I don't think board conduct should have -any- bearing on your game conduct whatsoever.

That happens and we'll lose plenty of good players, who may be rude on the board but as far as the game goes were good roleplayers and added alot to the game.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "ashyom"Th GDB was created with the intent of providing a friendly place for players to meet and discuss the mud.
Having both absolute friendliness and open discussion is not possible. This is self-evident: where there is discussion, there is disagreement, and where there is disagreement, there is impoliteness.

What can be achieved is civilized discussion. That means that while people may be blunt, people do not resort to personal attacks and constructive discussion prevails. Friendly discussion does not equal constructive discussion.

Unfortunately, some people are very easily offended and insulted, and they may be unwittingly or wittingly drawn into heated debates and feel flamed as a result.

QuoteWe set forth the rules, and we expect everyone to follow them.  Most do.  A few don't.  These few are the one who are spoiling it for the rest of us.
Of course, but if You set friendliness to be an absolute rule, and begin to enforce it with bans and such, I'm pretty sure constructive discussion will suffer, too. And constructive discussion is what I like to think this Board is for, above everything else.

QuoteA couple of the staff have posted already that says basically same thing I have in this thread (and a number of previous ones).  I guess we're at the breaking point, and we're ready to say, hell with it.
What is this "breaking point" you talk about?

*grabs the steering wheel and violently jerks the discussion back onto the topic*

I've been thinking about this for a little while now and I've finally come up with a real dislike for Arm(other than whiney posters)...

And that is simply: I'm SO addicted to it.

Why do I loathe loving it so much? Because everytime I type score on a character and see: You have been playing for 30 days and 6 hours or something similar... I think... HOLY SHIT, that's an ENTIRE MONTH... it's as though I sat in front of the computer for 30 days straight, 24 hours a day... A month of my life gone. Good lord.

Was it the most constructive 30 days of my lifetime? Nah.. But I gotta say, it certainly was fun. :D Filled with moments so intense that the level of adrenaline in my system makes my hands shake and my body shiver. I count new grey hairs on my head I think there's a correlation between stress-levels and hair-greying... but I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, I live an otherwise happy and normal existence in the real world so to satisfy the deviant parts of my personality I escape into the world of RP, and when it comes to RP Muds, Arm wins... Hands down. We all know that because we all play here, no matter how many breaks you take... you WILL return.

So, I hate it because I love it. Hell, maybe I love it because I hate it too.

Anyway, as far as constructive criticism about the game world goes:

-Close the Northern Noble Houses for awhile. Let the Templars and the merchant houses deal with politics up there and expand the Southern Noble Houses so that the ranks fill. They're the real Nobles anyway ;)

-Code wise... Nothing is perfect, Armageddon is constantly evolving and I'm loving what I see. When I have an issue or I find something that's a little off, I idea it or bug or typo it and feel confidant that it's on someone's todo list and will eventually get looked at. As far as I'm concerned though, it's badass.

Vox wrote:

Quote-Code wise... Nothing is perfect, Armageddon is constantly evolving and I'm loving what I see. When I have an issue or I find something that's a little off, I idea it or bug or typo it and feel confidant that it's on someone's todo list and will eventually get looked at. As far as I'm concerned though, it's badass.

What he said!  :)

In so far as the flaming.  Flames only survive when they are fed fuel.  Starve them of replies
and the flame will die down of it's own accord, leaving the flamer to look foolish.

--Cheers
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"If you like the way things are now, I understand that.  But I don't think that should preclude the possibility of trying out something that could be even better.
What if someone thinks the way things are now is better than what is suggested and that is why they like it?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"What if someone thinks the way things are now is better than what is suggested and that is why they like it?

You don't know unless you try.
Back from a long retirement

To address the concerns of the staff, which I just read.  I think you should start by taking a look at the people who are consistently rude and condenscending, and ensure that they never have an opportunity to be such again.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"You don't know unless you try.
True, but if someone told you that they think doing heroin is better than not doing heroin, by that logic you should try it.  Not everything need be tried.  You should weigh the potential drawbacks and benefits and make a decision.  People voicing their concerns about potential drawbacks should not be dismissed because they are like the way it is and think the change would come with too many drawbacks.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"True, but if someone told you that they think doing heroin is better than not doing heroin, by that logic you should try it.

Not to speak for ERS, but I think the point is that if an idea hasn't been tried, then you can't know for sure if it is a good idea or not.  People HAVE tried taking heroin and it was proven to be a bad idea.

Actually, CRW, that was my original point in my first post quoting him.  His words seemed to say that it was a good idea and that any nay-sayers were being chicken.  Granted, that may not have been his intent, but that is how it came across to me and at least one other person that I have spoken with...which is why I brought it up.

Look at the thread's title, look at its size. Damn ...
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Actually, CRW, that was my original point in my first post quoting him.  His words seemed to say that it was a good idea and that any nay-sayers were being chicken.  Granted, that may not have been his intent, but that is how it came across to me and at least one other person that I have spoken with...which is why I brought it up.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"If you like the way things are now, I understand that. But I don't think that should preclude the possibility of trying out something that could be even better.

And yet, just because somebody agrees with you, doesn't mean you aren't wrong.  I'm completely puzzled as to how you could have read what you did out of those two sentances.

I was just trying to be understanding and calm while still defending myself, since I do not appreciate that some people are painting me (and indirectly the players and staff who share my view) as a naysaying rabble-rouser who should leave the game instead of simply saying what's on his mind.  A prime example being what this poster said.

Quote from: "Marilla"Live and let live. People like different things, please, if you don't like something, play somewhere else. Let those, who enjoy the parts of the game you don't, have their fun instead of yelling 'Carthage must be destroyed' at every opportunity.

I am suprised with all the many posts that are here, I am having trouble keeping up with all of them, but I would like to thank all those who have posted and those who will continue doing so.
uppers.

I hate it when all the imm's are gone at the ATM and forget to start the game on Saturday!..
uppers.

I think you meant 'me conker', as in "one is a conker".

Thanks, I thought he was speaking spanish or something, like: Me lavo mis manos.
uppers.

Another, much smaller problem I have, are the maps. I don't know why, but most of the zones just seem rather... dull, or repetative, to me. Disturbed me much more in the past because it was different than MUDs I used to play, but I'm much more comfortable with it now that I'm used to it.
Send in suggestions to how they'd be better.
I personally think they are quite neat, and scary. Never know what could be over that next cliff.

QuoteGetting knocked out using the way. Why would ANYONE want to sit there for 30 minutes after being knocked out??? So shoot me.......It's my fault for pushing the envelope, but I'd say that 20-30 minutes is highly excessive. I know things get better, but regardless......I think it takes away from the game...the RP and peoples play time.
Its not always 20-30 minutes. I've woken up after 1 minute. And yes it is your fault. No worse then killing someone and spending several real-life hours in jail. IC consequences for IC actions.

QuoteLive update. (If there's a time i want to MUD with bleary eyes it's saturday day!)
I agree and don't see why we couldn't do what other muds do to an extent and that is have a daily 'copy' of the mud created on another port, and then maybe during specified times during the day (to keep with the copies) we could build there and then save it, and it would go in on a reboot or something. Might seem weird but I know this is done elsewhere.

QuoteMy biggest problem is how it sometimes seems so empty outside and how in some zones you can wander for RL hours without seeing a single NPC. More variety in the monsters outside the gates, including smaller monsters to flesh out the ecosystem, would be nice. I can of course always submit them...bah wait till finals are over.
I've been working on this to an extent, feel free to mail in with where and with what you'd like to see places populated, and of course why.

QuoteI don't like how NPCs can see you in the middle of a sandstorm and shoot arrows at you, when you can't see, and it give you the message that it is too windy to use your bow, (but not too windy for the NPC)
Npcs also don't have command delay. Not sure why its not fixxed. Its an acknowledged problem.

Quote1. Players who don't seem to be able to see beyond the code.
Thankfully this is not a huge deal, but I've seen alot of discussion here that leads me to believe many players simply don't understand how powerful decent roleplay is at opening up their PC's horizons....regardless of hard-coded benefits or restrictions.
Yes, but this isn't really a problem with Arm, more the players, and not something we the staff can really fix or solve.

Quote2. Older, more experienced players who don't seem willing to help out the new folks by actually interacting with them on a regular basis.
Yes again. And to more of an extent that subtly use their OOC gained knowledge from past characters in discreet ways, like just knowing where a certain shop is and such and such, obviously distinguishing older characters from newer ones. Granted not ALL are like this, but its fun from a staff perspective to watch how many older players play as not knowing where (blank) is, and how many play that they do.

Quote3. And lastly, I have a problem with people who aren't willing to take responsibility for their lives. This goes WAY beyond ArmageddonMud. This seems to be an epidemic in Western culture...that people want the freedom to do as they will, but don't wanna pay the tab when it comes due. In Arm, that boils down to people who follow the code of good roleplay only so long as it is beneficial to their whims and the good fortune of their characters. It also involves those players who cry 'abuse!' when the actions of another PC, or staff, run contrary to what's 'good' for their own whim and their own PC's life, or their own individual sense of what is 'fair' gets violated. I'm sorry, but I've seen WAY too many people cry foul when things go against their PC and their desires, then turn around and do the EXACT SAME SHIT to someone else...or reverse in order of events...fuck someone over (perfectly ICly in the gameworld), then cry 'Abuse!' when it happens to their own pc. That shit just pisses me the hell off!  And please don't think I'm singling out players here. I think these rules and situations apply to anyone involved with ArmageddonMud.
Again a player problem. Sorry, can't really help here. Directly at least.

QuoteSpending a fistful of coins on a mug of ale, taking one drink, and then being forced to shell out another fistfull of coins for a mug of ale, only to take one drink and then have to shell out another fistful of coins for ONE FUCKING DRINK OF ALE.
Water is one of the scarcest resources in the world. It is rare and expensive. Also your reading too much into the code. Drink is a code command. There is no way it can equate to your exact visual representation of how much you drink when you think drink. This varies from person to person so the command is set up to allow you to emote around the actual command. Maybe downing the entire drink, or taking a few drinks, etc. Same with eatting. Hard to eat a slab of meat described as as long as my arm in two bites, but I manage.

Quote2) People who are striving to make changes to Arm (rp and documentation) that are intended for realism...there is a such thing as too much realism, that's when it ceases to be fantasy, which is part of the reason I don't like some of the other RPIs. So much realism they aren't fun to play anymore
I don't think were anywhere near this, and can't name off the top of my head even the last major coded addition that made Arm more real. Its just as balanced as when I first started playing.

Quote3) The severe lack of criminal groups in the game, such as raiders and the like...I'd much rather have fear of getting jumped by pc raiders while outside the walls than NPC beasts. I think the biggest contributer to the lack of these is the fact that one is not allowed to build them OOC with others first.
Toss in three new crime groups and you've milked anywhere up to 25 people from the regular population. Unfortunetely more people would rather have people near them they can interact with then having three or four bands of raiders spread out over the world in remote and safe locations. And yes building little clans OOCly is bad. People will pick and choose who is in their clan based on things maybe like class and race and probably inquire about past characters or any of a number of things involved in choosing good clanmates oocly.

QuoteBy that same token one could say that no families should be recruited for ooc either, because whose to say there is for certain perfect loyalty amongst the members of the family either?
Blood related families is alot different then a gang of people.

QuoteRandom stat rolls - I hate that I can invest time into writing up a character and covering every detail, just to find out my ranger can't use a bow because of random stat rolls.
Kinda sucky, but better then not seeing your stats at all I guess.
There may in the future be a way to favor a stat, but we'll see.

QuoteNPC player protectors - I don't like that special application characters are offered god-like NPC guards that are immune to corruption of any kind and set with scripts that provide them with reaction times above and beyond anything a PC could ever have. They want a guard? Make them hire a PC like the rest of us.
This is no different then NPC soldiers etc. Most guards are not god-like, they are guards, designed to protect. The world is much bigger then the players and it would be unrealistic to assume there would be no one available to guard noble-so-and-so in a house of a billion guards.

QuoteAll or nothing skinning - It kind of bugs me when someone can't get a few scraps of hide, a chunk of bone or a handful of raw meat when skinning a creature. There should be at least a random bare minimal you can get.
Skinning animals is very hard. I tried to skin a dear once and not only didn't know what meat was edible but ripped the fur and didn't want to dig around in the horrible bloody mess for bone. This is the same idealogy for characters. its really funny how someone can rip through four corpses in less then a minute and get every single skinnable item from them. Yes there should be a rare bare minimal item, and it should suck. Skinning represents knowledge of the beasts as well as skill as hacking them up.

QuoteShort description limit - Why not make it 38 or 40? I hate having the perfect short description, only to find its one letter over the limit.
It has to do with spam. The sdesc is reasonable, not every sdesc has to be long and detailed with elegant words and odd descriptors. As much as people make fun of 'the tall muscular man' its a great sdesc. A little bland, but I'd take 100 of them over 2 'the hirsute, dichromatic skinned, sinuously virridescent tressed woman'

QuoteUnarmed code - I just don't like the massive negatives that come with it, or the superior to bludgeoning weapons stun damage it does.
Your not a pro boxer, five or six square hits directly to the face WILL knock you out.

QuoteMounted combat - Should happen more often but doesn't, because its more or less suicidal unless you severely out class the other guy in combat skills.
Mounts are not horses, they are slow lumbering beasts for the most part, and two people mounted fighting would look silly and stupid. All mounted combat is illogical, why fight someone atop a horse with a chance of falling or being knocked off. People fought on horseback for the mounted, attack-down advantage. This is being consdired apparently or the concepts of expert riders fighting well and things like the charge skill would not even have been considered.

QuoteClans - Most of the clans in-game cater to people who want to play politics or be on the upper crust. What about those of us who want to play some gritty commoner with commoner issues?
There are not enough of you. And a commoner of that description wouldn't be in a clan.

QuoteGreater access to the games item database - Much of the games items aren't available unless someone kills an NPC to get them in-game, because NPC merchants have set stock items and PC merchants peddle the same stuff over and over again. Let's see NPCs spawning some random items in shops after weekly down time - doesn't have to be expensive and generic bad-ass stuff, just some more beat up leathers and common clothes, obsidian knives and bone maces, let people dress more unique.
That doesn't nescessarily help. Most shops are clan-owned and likely have secret or elaborate methods to creating their items that you'd not be able to figure out eitherway. Feel free to write up and submit shops you feel are needed.

QuoteThe Way - it has far too much power in-game in an OOC and IC context. We would have a lot more action if people had to give reports in person, rather then over the way, or if you had to hire a messenger to pass information along to someone in another town. Imagine the spy vs spy stuff that could happen? It'd be great.
That is true to an extent, but everything would be slowed down. Like it or not there are not enough pcs to be messangers for everyone who needs to talk to someone else. And no one wants to be completely shut off.

QuoteThe lack of crime - it is incredibly difficult to play a long-term and successful criminal in Armageddon. I want to see more spice smugglers, more raiders, more black markets, more extortion, more mafia-style groups forming and warring with each other. Right now there are severe coded road blocks to this. The criminal code could do to be more lax to represent the severe corruption among the centers of civilization, as well as foster more criminal elements then pickpockets and chair-stealing burglars
Good spice smugglers are not seen, good raiders are not talked about, good black markets are not well known, extortion would be pointless if everyone knew, there are plenty of mafia-style groups. And the civilization is not exteremly corrupt, its more indviduals in positions of power. Bribery only works if you have someone to bribe. Most soldiers would likely do their job and get paid for it then to possibly be killed by their templar for taking a bribe that wouldn't be worth the cost of just doing their job.

QuoteRed Storm - I like Red Storm and its theme, but I don't like the situation it seems to be in. It needs more stuff, something to draw at least a small but consistent player base. Crafting supplies and a decent chance for criminals (not raiders, but thieves and the like) would go a long way in making it more attractive to players.
This has already been worked on, with substantial results. Take a look around Red Storm more, not just the same old spots.

QuoteGlobal politics - I want to see more strife between global factions, such as Tuluk and Allanak. There isn't a lot of that happening that everyone can appreciate, like trade wars and sabotage and generally offensive terrorism, like you would expect between two opposing city-states. The fact Allanak didn't engage in some revenge of biblical proportions for the Academy incident and the general humiliation of defeat doesn't strike me as making a whole lot of sense. Shouldn't these nobles be spending LESS time meddling in commoners lives and MORE time opening various cans of whup-ass and whup-ass substitutes on their kings enemies
Hard to have trade wars when the merchant houses (intelligently) cater to both cities. Why would people want to fight each other when they are perfectly content in their own places. In the past it was logical, Tek wanted the north so he took it, and later lost it. Muk would probably not want the south (its a big desert), Tek probably has reasons for not attacking the north again (maybe he's building an army).  It also has to do with very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very small Templar/Militia clans on both sides. Its hard to plot great acts of war when you have no pcs or inactive ones.

QuoteIf there is one thing I really hate it's this: Shops closing at night. Grr!

I really don't see the point. Simulating the inconvenience of real life? How does making me wait 30 min to buy a backpack enhance the game to any extent? It's just wasting my time.
By the way people complain about this you'd think everyone was in a shop all the time. Do more shopping in bulk or prioritize, this is not a problem. Spend less time in shops!
Lets not split hairs over inconviences. If everything that inconvienced me was a problem I'd have several hundred.

QuoteAnd don't tell me it's more realistic. It would be realistic if the shopkeeper npc went home or something, but they just sit there.
Being worked on.

QuoteI don't like how some people think that every room in the city is full of VNPC's willing to turn you in every hour of every day.
If a reasonable alternative was presented it would probably be considered. Its very hard to code a 'circumstantial crime system' with a very large and shifting set of variables that would then have to be set or defined around each room, etc.

QuoteThe coded economy and the coded merchant clans. It'd be nice if there was some kind of economic system such that the argument 'You shouldn't sell so many of high price item A every week' would never come up. The merchant houses are pretty boring in my opinion. Now if they were all destroyed or one was and a bunch of pc run groups tried to fill the void, now that'd be interesting.
Some things will always be valuable in the short-lived world. And the buying 5 system stimulates an economic environment. PC merchant houses don't do too good because it takes alot of work to make things people will buy. Like if it takes a skilled killer, skinner, tanner, and leatherworker to make a backpack, its obviously going to be too expensive to sell if you have to adequetely pay those people. The solution is to buy at shops... hmm, if I can buy all my stuff at a shop why rely on others, why not just keep the profit for myself, etc. You get the picture

QuoteThe noble houses I've seen are pretty dull as well. I think if you closed down all the noble houses, they wouldn't be missed by me anyway.
Fale was closed! Woohoo

Karma. Its a good idea in theory. But so is communism.
If you can present a better way of keeping highly secretive, trust-heavy roles in the hands of the trusted feel free to suggest it.

QuoteLack of conflict. How can I say this after recent events? Well mostly it seemed the conflict was just a very few very large events. There wasn't a long period of time where mantis scoured the entire north road, making travel impossible. It also seems the merchant houses and others have this whole 'let us join together to face our common enemy' mentality that I hope goes away quick.
Conflict is neither quick or well-defined. Just because there arn't people murdering each other in front of you at every junction does not mean there isn't conflict. What point would there be to play if your character was murdered or robbed blind every other tuesday. The game is slow (as many notice) allow time to develop conflict as well as the characters behind them. Want super quick and apparent conflict go play a hack and slash.

QuoteLack of ANSI colour
I think its more that the creators of the game did not like color. I doubt they'd go through the trouble to create a very color-cohesive world just to turn it off.  And as any mud-savvy person knows a color scheme can drive more people away then a monochrome. There are ways to color your own world.

QuoteCommand delay which mimics a laggy connection
Hard to stimulate delay in another way.

QuoteHabitual disappearance of emails to and from the imms
Its more to do with how many emails immortals receive and people having problems with their emails and not knowing it. Its not an Arm exclusive occurrance. Out of like 5 emails I send I botch one or two addresses. Usually tranposing a letter or something. Luckily mine get bounced back to me, but not everyone does. And as you can see from the staff board many people put in wrong emails or have email issues. This has to do with the wide-sweeping community in different countries with varying email issues.
Yahoo is free and works well.

QuoteSlow reply speed to emails
Patience is a virtue. I try to respond to every email I receive. Not sure if this is the same for everyone. Also there is a syndrome known scientifically as "my issue is more important then anything else your doing" where people develop a concept like "appease my issue now, its more important and obviously deserves your full attention." the fact is this is a game and a job, and that many of us have real life jobs and other priorities and its hard to answer quickly and thourougly to 10-20 (or in the case of the Mud sometimes over 100) or so emails per session.

QuoteLow playerbase (outside peak hours) and the resulting difficulty in finding a merchant, a Nenuyki agent, etc
There are virtual agents of all houses. They are much bigger then their pc populations. If you have an urgent issue wish up or mail the mud and something can be arranged for you.

QuoteNo coded ability to leave messages which sometimes creates serious unrealistic communication problems between PCs
We could put something in for you to pay a guy to take messages, but the problem is people would not like to pay to leave a message and pay to hear them. There is no other realistic way for this to work, unless there was some well-to-do person with a hankering for taking messages from 100s of sweaty commoners.

QuoteLosing your link will often get your character killed or robbed
Same could be said of not losing your link.
The fact is that no-link protection IS and will forever be abused. Sorry, get a reliable ISP.

QuoteBlack-and-white criminal code
See above about devising a better solution.

QuoteThe alleged unfairness, favoritism and bias that arises from the Karma system
Stems from OOC communication. Stop communicating with other players OOCly about the players of the game and their characters and what karma they may or may not have.

QuoteThe web site looks like something straight from 1993 and probably doesn't help to bring new players
Personal problem, not a problem with the game.

QuoteGDB pollution where people cannot understand that comments like
Again not a problem with the game.

Disclaimer, may miss some here, skipping the several pages of arguing.

QuoteMy one and only pet peeve is that emotes are effected by movement and combat delay. I wish they weren't, but it's probably not very simple to fix.
I agree, but the way the code is it seems hard to avoid. And when everything becomes a 'system' like forage, craft, etc, it seems junky.

QuoteWhat I don't like about Arm is the GDB. It's 95% a bunch of people saying "No I said this," or "No I clearly said this and if you even read what I posted you would know," along with a whole bunch of page long posts with people quoting and requoting each other, quibbling over minutae of trivia. Half the time ya'll are actually agreeing with one another, you just don't like the choice of wording the other person used and in the end, you're bickering over nothing.
The GDB is not part of the game. If its "your only problem with the game" your confusing the game with the community, which should have its own thread honestly, because that seems to be the major problem with the game, the players. But of course the catch is that it would not be a game without them, and that "good players" is a subjective term.

QuoteI hate the drinking code. I think it sucks. I wish there was some way to fix it and make it only last for a few Ic hours, I should not be drunk three days later. What would be cool is if your PC drinks -a lot- They should loose a bit of stamina for a IC half day or so.. Becuase I am not ever drunk for very long after I stop drinking.. But I am certainly hung over for a while.
Build a tolerance for alcohol. Drink alot and you may notice not being drunk as long, or needing to drink more to get drunk. The code is a great thing.

QuoteI like the idea of mounted combat and wish it was coded more in favor of the rider. Why does the guy below get the advantage? Kanks are big and covered in chitin damit! And that guy's head is in perfect range for me to bowl it down with a morning star.
You can't ride when holding two weapons and its probably very hard as it is with one hand. Try riding a rhino with a very crude set of reins, only one handed while also trying to hit that person beside you. Combat is not stationary, there is at least minimal virtual movement unless otherwise implied with emoting. Kanks are not extraordinarily agile. The more agile the animal the better combat should be.

Quote4. I would like to see more crime and smaller gang like tension amongst the common population. I would like to see a more Rinthy like feel come out into the main populace, slum lords. Take a bit of power away from the noble houses. Life is too damn good for the PC's right now.
Hard to have slum lords when all property is owned by Nenyuk. The main populace is better then the Rinth.  Thus why there is a rinth and not just an entire city of scum. a good portion of the population are decent, God-fearing, law-abiding working class people. The average person is NOT a scummy, crime-ridden filth-bag willing to murder the next guy for his hat. The world is harsh, and people's tempers may be short, and drunken brawls may get a little heated, but it doesn't mean that crime is as common as sand and that everyone is killing each other.

QuoteSlightly more robust aliases. The ability to put in placeholders - so that I can 'alias feetdrag $1 (dragging his feet)', then type 'feetdrag west' and have it interpreted as the same as if I typed 'west (dragging his feet)'.
Get mushclient. I don't think I've ever used an alias beside CHL (change ldesc) in Arm, but in another HnS mud I play the mushclient alias system is glorious. It can do exactly what you said.... like the alias would be "feetdrag *" and expand in the code to:

%1 (dragging his feet)

And come off just as if you did the direction.

QuoteSo finding a niche was something I didn't like, but now I'm over it. And when I have to create a new character it won't be as bad.
Its called a learning curve, and most if not everything in life has one.

Quote6 hour sandstorms
Try a four day sandstorm.
Sand and wind = scary... be lucky its as light as it is now.

QuoteQuote:
2) People who are striving to make changes to Arm (rp and documentation) that are intended for realism...there is a such thing as too much realism, that's when it ceases to be fantasy, which is part of the reason I don't like some of the other RPIs. So much realism they aren't fun to play anymore

I don't think were anywhere near this, and can't name off the top of my head even the last major coded addition that made Arm more real. Its just as balanced as when I first started playing.

I'm just saying those that are pushing for such changes, I think it's fine at the moment.

QuoteQuote:
3) The severe lack of criminal groups in the game, such as raiders and the like...I'd much rather have fear of getting jumped by pc raiders while outside the walls than NPC beasts. I think the biggest contributer to the lack of these is the fact that one is not allowed to build them OOC with others first.

Toss in three new crime groups and you've milked anywhere up to 25 people from the regular population. Unfortunetely more people would rather have people near them they can interact with then having three or four bands of raiders spread out over the world in remote and safe locations. And yes building little clans OOCly is bad. People will pick and choose who is in their clan based on things maybe like class and race and probably inquire about past characters or any of a number of things involved in choosing good clanmates oocly.

Are you trying to say that pc raiders aren't going to interact with people about as often as they can?

People are needed for them to get by and do what they do.

QuoteMounts are not horses, they are slow lumbering beasts for the most part, and two people
mounted fighting would look silly and stupid. All mounted combat is illogical, why fight
someone atop a horse with a chance of falling or being knocked off. People fought on
horseback for the mounted, attack-down advantage. This is being consdired apparently or
the concepts of expert riders fighting well and things like the charge skill would not even
have been considered.

Not all mounts on Zalanthas are gigantic bugs. Some are much more prone to mounted combat.

QuoteGood spice smugglers are not seen, good raiders are not talked about, good black markets
are not well known, extortion would be pointless if everyone knew, there are plenty of
mafia-style groups. And the civilization is not exteremly corrupt, its more indviduals in
positions of power. Bribery only works if you have someone to bribe. Most soldiers
would likely do their job and get paid for it then to possibly be killed by their templar for
taking a bribe that wouldn't be worth the cost of just doing their job

Again, raiders. They may not be known as in people knowing their faces from afar, but they're name would be known. Unless you consider the Blackmoon Raiders a horrible raiding clan. I can only assume they were very well know and very revered. In fact, when you have a great name, you don't even need to fight to get what you want.

QuoteWant super quick and apparent conflict go play a hack and slash.

As a player, I would like to have a good pbase to rp with, lets not try and turn people away, shall we? Even know that which they seek is abundant and plenty in Armageddon.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

I dont like how, to stay IC, one sometimes has to let the game drive me into situations that are not enjoyable OOCly at all. This is even worse if there are only very few roles a particular PC could fill, and for IC or OOC reasons, all of them are out of question. Makes you want to retire, or take a long break... not fun.

Thats about the only thing that really bothers me.

Quote from: "Seraphim"I dont like how, to stay IC, one sometimes has to let the game drive me into situations that are not enjoyable OOCly at all. This is even worse if there are only very few roles a particular PC could fill, and for IC or OOC reasons, all of them are out of question. Makes you want to retire, or take a long break... not fun.

Thats about the only thing that really bothers me.

Personally, I think you have to make the best of it.  This isn't to say I didn't have the same experience before, much to my heartbreak.

When Arm gives you giant scrab, make... giant scrabomade or something.

Right, it's 1:30 AM PST, and I'm babbling.  Just only pay attention to the first paragraph.
 wish I was witty enough to have something here.  Alas.