Why is an advert for a coded clan okay, but not for non-code

Started by jmordetsky, April 24, 2004, 08:02:47 PM

Was looking at the "Soh Lanah Kah needs YOU!" post and I got to thinking:

Why is it okay to OC advertise an existing clan, but not say something like,

"Hey I'm forming a indy clan in redstorm, mercs and assasins wanted, PM for details."

Is it because on markets to not yet created PCs and the other appears not to?

Would the second be kosher if you added a "existing PCs need not apply"?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

The reason is pretty simple.  You cannot join SKL, you must be born into the tribe.

Which means, you have to apply for the tribe.

All tribes are by OOC app only.  So an indie family or tribe is acceptable to advertise for (though its probably preferable if you start the tribe as virtual and get your character somewhat established before you go around asking for others, just to be sure it doesnt fall apart in a week).

Clans are organizations and the like, they can accept a wide variety of people into their ranks so OOC recruitment is frowned upon/forbidden.

Thats the way I learned it at least.

That's pretty much what the other threads have, from the IMMs, about this subject.

You can't apply in-game to be a member of a coded tribe. Coded tribes don't "hire" outsiders or "adopt" people they meet in the scrub. Either you're born already in the tribe, or you're not. So OOC recruitment is necessary and IC recruitment is impossible.

Unless your player-created clan is a clan of blood relatives, there is nothing preventing you from recruiting in-game. And so, recruiting in-game is the most appropriate thing to do in such a case.

Because they already have an existing, established VNPC population.  By joining that clan you are becoming one of those VNPCs.

Also coded clans have immortals running them, so it cuts down on abuse of "hey come join my clan"-stuff.