A female noun for elf

Started by The lovely elfin, April 16, 2004, 10:22:41 PM

Since I've never liked seeing "elven woman" or "female elf" I was wondering if elfin would work as a commonly held term for the fairer and better gendre of elves?

It'd shorten up sdescs and add a little extra flare to Armageddon as a whole.  So what does everyone think?

The pot-bellied, massive-breasted elfin?

Hrrrmmmm... :?
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I say do it.
Back from a long retirement

I'd say elven woman or female elf.

Elf is to human
as female elf is to female human.

Someone may develop a term for male and female elves when they become a larger part of our society.

Elfin is actually:
Relating to or suggestive of an elf.
Made, done, or produced by an elf.
Small and sprightly or mischievous.
Having a magical quality or charm; fairylike: moved across the dimly lit stage with elfin grace.

Darklin's website recomends she-elf.  Just make sure you don't typo it, because it would be really strange to see "the sleek, buxom shelf".

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Why not just "female?" if your desc has that you are an elf in it then the sdesc could say female can't it?
ugar and Spice

I do second the elfin suggestion. It could work, if we changed the rules around a bit. Think about it.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

So, to play devil's advocate, are we also going to add:

mulin
half-giantin
dwarfin
etc.

Yeah, it sucks that when you play a non-human female you have to take up precious sdesc space with the word "female" or "woman" unless you want to get mistaken for a male.

But if we're going to be fair, we should think up female versions for all playable races.

Besides, 'elfin' is already a word, a synonym of elven/elvish/elfish, and just means "of or relating to elves".

Maybe another word would serve?

I see elfin as fair-game, so long as it is used correctly as in the definition of the term.

Elfess?

I've hear Giantess before, so dwarfess....

hmmm
Vettrock

I am opposed to creating a term for a female elf unless we also create a term for a male elf.

race = Human, humans
male = Man, men
female = Woman, women

Race = Elf, elves
male = ?
female = ?

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I, personally, just use elf for my female elves. You near sighted humans couldnt tell one of us from another until you got close anyways. Besides, its fun to watch people look and then do a double take.

smirks

Though I do favor elfess as an alternative.
 staff member sends:
    "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"

There are tons of... more crude alternatives.

One of which comes to mind, which starts with 'elf' and ends with 'itch'...

Icky.
he stories are woven
and fortunes are told
The truth is measured by the weight of your gold
The magic lies scattered
on rugs on the ground
Faith is conjured in the night market's sound

Elf Stitch? Nawww...wouldn't work... :lol:
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Please stick with elf and do not add words like elfin, elfess, elfette, elfalinafancypants, etc. Thanks.

elfgobblegobble??
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

The romantic languages have these things covered.  You would have something like elfo (or even elf) for male and elfa for female.  Same word, -o means male, -a means female.

:wink:  Been trying to learn spanish.
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?