8.4 In-game years in one real year...Bummer.

Started by Galdun, April 14, 2004, 11:30:06 PM

I don't know how the rest of you feel about this, but 8.4 years in game just doesn't seem like enough time in relation to 1 year in reality.  To me, and this may be a tad bit premature, it just seems like no character can be as epic or grow and develop quite as substantially as they once could.  

In one year, a little over 15 IG(in-game) years elapsed, leaving ample time for your young, rogish little ruffian to grow into a well mannered –man- with a sense of morals and place.  Now of course this can still happen(And most certainly within any amount of time be it 2 years or 15 years), but those people who want their characters to age a significant amount(Those of you whose dream it is to die of old age) will have to wait much, much longer.  I think the game feels a bit more epic when time passes quicker.  

I do in fact like the way the clock synchs up now a days, but we won't see as many aging characters who have earned their veneration.  I personally think it would be great if the amount of days in a Zalanthan month was decreased and played off as if it had always been that length, just for the sake of adjustment – the game is after all, always changing in terms of code and whatnot.  

Maybe I'm crazy, and I suppose you can let me have it if you think I am, but I wish the years just came a little quicker...you know, to progress massive shifts in the environment or general state of affairs between cities, etc.  I think people like the fact that their characters age and grow, altering not only their style of play, but the feel of the game from their perspective.  Alls' I'm sayin' is, after playing for a year in reality, I'd just like the feeling that my character has been through a hell of a lot more than I have...which is simply sitting infront of a computer screen.

Let me  know what you fine, fine people think.
[/u]

I like things better the way they are now.  The 15 years per RL year was always the case.  The only difference is that our age timers are now telling the truth.

People will now have more time to develop their characters personalities as they grow old, making them more believable, more distinguished, and more detailed.

At any rate, old veteran characters will be rare now, but they'll be that much more special because of it.  I fully intend to have my young dwarf die of old age.
Back from a long retirement

I liked my characters aging at the old speed.  Only 8 years per RL year seems way to static for me.  The old speed made it hard enough to play out a character's life and have him/her develope through life.  Now it seems nearly impossible.  To go from 20 to 60 is almost five years of play time.  I've known of several characters who managed to survive for two RL years, but going for four or five doesn't seem doable (and imagine all the other fun character ideas you'd never get to try!).

Regardless of how this change affects the speed of characters aging, the synchronization with earth time will benefit the game's scripts greatly. I'd rather play Armageddon with slow aging characters and a vividly animated real-time interactive world, regardless of PC presense than a rapid aging process and no spiffy scripts.

I agree with Kankman that getting time "fixed" so that it flows at a steady, predictable rate is an excellent thing.  If I -had- to choose between unpredictable fast-moving time and predictable slow moving time, I would choose the latter.

However, I would prefer that it were not a two party system.  I belive 12 game years per RL year is the ideal ratio.  One year per RL month is easy to remember and refer to.  A little slower than the percieved passage of time under the old system, but still 50% faster than the current way.  But nobody asked me.

The old way had some benefits and some drawbacks, and the new way has some benefits and some drawbacks.  My personal scales are tilted very slightly in favor of the new way, but I would really prefer a third option.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I personally like the fact that time is now more stable...I do think that some time based things need to be tweeked a bit as they now seem to last an unrealistic amount of time.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I just like knowing exactly when the time is going to change, and exactly just how far into late afternoon I am, rather that shrugging my shoulders and saying dusk is coming soon, and ten minutes later it appears.  Or sitting in the tavern muttering about how it is nearly dawn, and then dawn actually arrives just a couple RL minutes later.  Everything else pretty much pales to irrelevance for me.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I enjoy the predictability of time nowadays.. makes things a lot easier to judge. However that said, I also agree with AC that I think 12 IG years per 1 RL years is an ideal rate for aging.  I think 8 per year is a bit slow.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Is there a way to increase the span of time per RL year to twelve Zalanthan years or is there some sort of difficulty in coding that in accordance with Earth time?
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Since the time code is so handy, and we don't want to give that up, maybe we can ask whoever it is that runs "Real Life" time to tweak their code a bit.  That way, Zalanthan time can stay the same, but we'd still grow older over a shorter amount of "Real Life" time.

Does anyone know who we can talk to about this?

:lol:
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

They coded it so that every hour is 10 rl minutes.  This makes it very convenient, as every time my computer's clock gets to minutes ending in zero (ie :00, :10, :20, etc) the game time changes.  Nifty.  They also kept the years/days/hours the same as described in the help files.  You cannot change this, and have 12 IC years in 1 RL year, and still have 1 hour (dawn, dusk, earling morning, etc) be exactly 10 minutes in RL.  It doesn't work.

Its pretty obvious I think that they aren't going to change the helpfiles on what constitutes an IC year in terms of the number of days in a year, or hours in a day.

Given that, it is much, much, much, much more important to me that 1 hour ingame = 10 minutes RL, and that I can predict when the time is going to change with absolute certainty, than it is to have each 1 hour ingame = 6 or 7 minutes RL or whatever it would be necessary to get 12 IG years to 1 RL year, as that change would -destroy- the predictability we now have as to when the IG hour will change.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

In all honesty, I never went by my character's age.  I kept track of the game years and days, and judged my character's actions accordingly.  And if you think about it, 8-10 years isn't a small amount of time to accomplish something prolific.  Napoleon, for example, took control of an army of infantry, and in a mere few years, conquered a whole shitload of territory.  We aren't all Napoleons, of course, but I don't think 8 years is such a small amount of time.  That's -two- university degrees.  Or enough time for a multinational to either go bankrupt, or gain the wealth of several medium sized countries.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

If it's okay to chime in with an anti-gripe, I like it how it is now.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

It used to seem that your character's life was slipping away. You had a sense of urgency to do things. You could theoretically accomplish momentus world altering feats in a fairly reasonable amount of time. Now it could take (more) RL years. But to me, this is a fantasy game, I want to accomplish things faster, faster than the time is now, and get more bang for the buck of my playing time. But that's just me.

10 years contracts are fucking ridiculous now btw.

Quote from: "Dead Newbie"

True.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

You should be playing your character for the day, not worrying about how long it will take them to become old. Play and have fun and when they get old they get old. You can still achieve anything you could, and no it doesn't take longer as many are saying, it would take the same amount of time, just you'd be younger during it. You can achieve more.

no one is saying it has to take 60 years for you to achieve your lifelong goal.

Very few characters as it is live to see more then a few years of actual life pass by with their current character, and they will not be any less remarkable with their age being slightly lower despite their real-life longevity.

Alright, I see all that, and all of the arguments are perfectly valid, but why not just decrease the amount of days in a Zalanthan month?  I really can't imagine anybody would care...It wouldn't screw up clan pay cycles because of the way things are synched up, and it would bring back that fantasy feel, that larger than life, tale of epic proportions thing that myself and others loved so much.  All we would be doing is finding how many days to decrease a month to in order to fit 12(Seems to be what most people who like the idea want to see) years into one real life year.   If that is at all possible, why the heck not?  Unless its insanely difficult to code.  Once again just offering an idea...

PS:  Since very few people sleep in game, months just really feel like one gigantus day anyways.  I'd love to hear back from the staff on this, just as an idea.  Thanks guys, and by all means keep the ideas and opinions flowing.

Negotiate a 5 year contract instead?
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I am a big fan of the new passage of years. I have always felt that, previously, time went by far too quickly. I often felt like I hardly had aenough time to truly develop and 'get to know' my character before he was already rocketing headlong into the next stage of his life.

In my opinion, the slower passage of years promotes greater depth of character and a more fulfilling sense of emotional and psychological growth. I'm quite thrilled with the scale as it is now.
Don't forgive and never forget; Do unto others before they do unto you; and third and most importantly, keep your eye on your friends, because your enemies will take care of themselves.   -J.R. Ewing

Game hour = GH
Game day = GD
Game month = GM
Game year = GY

Real life second = RS
Real life minute = RM
Real life hour = RH
Real life day = RD
Real life year = RY

There are a couple ways to re-synch time.

1)  One is to change the number of real minutes (RM) in a game hour
(GH).  The problem here is that you don't want fractions, so your options
are limited.  You also don't want a game day (GD) going by too fast.

Right now :

1 GH = 10 RM
1 GD = 90 RM
16 GD =  1 RD
8.4 GY = 1 RY

Not many numbers will work evenly, one of them is 8.

1 GH = 8 RM
1 GD = 72 RM
20 GD = 1 RD
10.5 GY = 1 RY

This would make days and hours go by a little faster, but not too fast, in my
opinion.  A game day would take 72 real minutes instead of 90 real
minutes.  Not a big change.  You get 10 years per real year, which is a little
better than 8.

4 would also work out evenly, but that would mean  a game day would only
be 36 minutes long, that 40 game days would go by per real day, and 21
game years per real year.  I think most of us would agree that would be far
too fast.

2)  The other way to change the balance is to alter the number of game days
in a game year.

There are 16 game days in a real day, and on average 30 days in a real
month, leading to about 480 game days per real month.
16 GD * 30 RD =  480 GD

A game year is 693 game years, change that to 480 days and you get 12
game years per real year.  That would be 3 months of 160 days each.

The problem here is that it would mean altering some of the documentation,
and probably the programs that run the seasons and the phases of the
moons would have to be adjusted to a 160 day month instead of a 231 day
month.  Apparently the phases of the moons were important in some
historical events, so there would have to be some jiggling to get the dates
and phases to line up, and then assign these events to a new date near the
old date.

Personally, I believe that people are not perfect.  The kids that set up the
time system 10-12 years ago were not perfect.  Having the passage of time
linked into the number of cycles (the way it was before the recent change)
seems inherently messed up to me because changing the number of users or
possibly even changing the hardware could change the passage of IC time.
If you allow for the possibility that the original time system was not perfect,
then there is no crime in altering it to make it work better today.  I think
altering the number of days in a year is the best option, because it allows us
to set the passage of hours, days, and years to the speed that seems best
today.

AC

To take a PC from 20 to 50 now takes 4 RL years.  That's hardcore and a bit much, IMHO.

I liked it much more previously.  1 year eating up 16 game years still meant that in order to take a PC from young to old it took 2 years or so.  That's a pretty decent accomplishment right there.

I love the sync-up of time, and appreciate the amount of the sheer effort that went into it.  It is simply deluxe.

I agree with AC, and have agreed with her comments since the correction was first implemented, but there is another possible solution that I do not think has yet been proposed, or commented on.

So far, the concepts of Zalathan time are not really hinged upon any firm correlation to RL equivalents.  I mean that Zalathan time has its own system of measurements, and it can now be determined how these Zalanthan measurements of time pass in comparision to Real Time measurements of time, but that does not mean that a Zalanthan year means the same thing at all as Real Life year.

Assume that a ZH is equivalent to living about a two and a quarter hours of RL time.  Then a day of Zalanthan Time is roughly equivalent to living a Real Life day as far as wear and tear on objects and as a tick off the old life-expectancy chart.  But a Zalanthan year, then, of 693 equivalent RL days, suddenly is equal to about -two- years of RL time.

If you want to adjust the -actual- flow of time on Zalanthas, without changing its correlation to RL time by its measurements, or by changing its own internal structure of measurements, this would be an easy way to do it.

You could either alter the docs to reflect the proper life expectancy in Zalanthan years for each race, or you could have a "conversion" under the stat command.  You are 22 years, 1 month and 98 days old --- equivalent to age 45.

We wouldn't have to anything to the aligned code in place now, or screw with the Sun or Moon cycles, and we could define the Zalanthan hour any way we chose.  If its only equivilent to an hour and a half of RT, then a Zalanthan Year would count as roughly a year and a third in comparision to life expectancy and a RL year.

I am not proposing that as a solution yet, but just as another way of looking at the problem.  For amusement purposes only, of course.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: "flurry"

Negotiate a 5 year contract instead?

How clever. Anyhow I think they shouldn't even ask for it. For playability reasons in my opinion.

And if the time is SOOO stable, they should have something on the website where you can type in 9 pm EST Aug 17 2004 and it tells you what day of the week and what time of the day it is.

QuoteAnd if the time is SOOO stable, they should have something on the website where you can type in 9 pm EST Aug 17 2004 and it tells you what day of the week and what time of the day it is

It's currently being worked on.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "Gilvar"You should be playing your character for the day, not worrying about how long it will take them to become old. Play and have fun and when they get old they get old. You can still achieve anything you could, and no it doesn't take longer as many are saying, it would take the same amount of time, just you'd be younger during it. You can achieve more.

no one is saying it has to take 60 years for you to achieve your lifelong goal.

Very few characters as it is live to see more then a few years of actual life pass by with their current character, and they will not be any less remarkable with their age being slightly lower despite their real-life longevity.

You get paid less often.  Special orders and what not now have a greater excuse for taking so long. If you were asking for a building to be built in 2 years is now twice as long as it was before. You'll get stuck in boring jobs for horrendous amount of time. Perhaps you should hunt less now that time is so slow. I liked when I used to be able to say I've been hunting these parts for 15 years. Now that will take a lot longer to ever achieve that. I mean, we can't adjust our rl time. We are all gonna die. I say let us have as much time as we can in this fantasy before we bite it ;)