My Frustrating Experience with a Special App

Started by RideTheDivide, April 02, 2004, 05:33:37 PM

So I think I can relate to those who have voiced frustration with the special app. process...

My former PC died a week ago today.  Later that same day, I sent emails to two IMM's (we'll all them A and B) letting them know that I was interested in roles that they had advertised on the GDB.  I made sure to let them both know that I was expressing interest to the other as well.

On the same day I received an email from Imm. A saying that I should see if the role with Imm. B worked out first based on pbase.  Fair enough.

The weekend went by and on Monday I heard nothing.  A friend oocly started talking to me about making a character to play in a group with his.  I said that I wanted to see what came of the roles.

Tuesday... nothing for most of the day.  Late in the day I sent an email to Imm A saying I hadn't heard anything so maybe I'd pursue that role.  Not too long later, Imm. B wrote saying "sorry for the delay, I'm pulling some things together.  You'll hear from me today or tomorrow."  Alright!  Progress!  I wrote back with some of the things that I thought I would need to make the role successful.  I had LOTS of time to think about it while not playing.  

Wednesday... no response from anyone.  My friend is still asking me to play in his group.  Thursday, nothing still.  Early in the day, I wrote an email to Imm. B saying that I thought I would pass on the role since I didn't think it would work out if communication was like this.  I cc'ed the MUD and really tried to be polite.

After that I went ahead and apped a character to play in my friend's group.  

Its Friday - late in the day.  My character is not approved.  I wrote an email to the MUD this morning asking if I had maybe messed something up in my application.  I haven't heard anything from anyone.  I'm frustrated and pretty bummed.

I don't think I'll special app a character in the future.  I've had good experiences in the past but this is really really frustrating.

I guess what I would have liked would have been communication - from anyone.  I could have been more patient if I knew what was going on.

Finally I just want to say that I'm not claiming to have done everything perfectly.  I'm not saying that I don't appreciate the staff and their hard work.

But I am frustrated...
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

I always thought of the special app process as something that could take time and it can be best to play a intermediate char while you're waiting.

I submitted a special app back in november or so. Waited a week to hear something so I just forgot about it and created another pc and started playing him. Two months down the road I get a reply from Naephet about my special. He tells me to send in a full app and I do. And after sending that in It took another month or so to hear from him again. It can take some time. Play another pc in the mean time just don't get to attached to them :P
oy what the fonk you want? Big Worm

I wouldn't stress about it... I've been waiting over five weeks now for my special app. I hardly even get responses from the Imms doing mine.

Or special app the character before your current character even dies, so you'll have one lined up.

That's all hunky dory, but Ride the Divide still hasn't heard back from one of the imms to find out if a role is even available to special app for. So, he can't special app for it until he hears back. The imm (according to RTD's post) did send a note saying he'll get back to him. But uh...after a week, and you still can't manage to say "Hey, a role IS available, so send in your app" - that's a serious flaw in communications.

In addition, neither of his apps were the typical "special apps" that go through Naephet. They are special roles that have already been advertised on the GDB as being available, and require CLAN IMM approval, not Naephet approval.

If a clan imm wants roles filled, then it's his job to make sure that people interested in the roles are given efficient communication. If a clan imm is unable or unwilling to do this, then he shouldn't be a clan imm.

Heh, bastette, so were mine. I've been waiting 5 weeks or more. I don't even know if a role is available for me anymore. Not an idea at all. So I think RtDs best bet is just to hang tight, poke the imms once in awhile, and eventually things will get resolved. I think when I hit the seven week mark though I might change my strategy.

Like I've said before.  The usual turn around for me on advertised roles was about two weeks to get everything worked out.  It is nice to get a e-mail occasionally letting you know they are still working on it, but give them so room incase a RL emergency has happened that they had to deal with.  Maybe twenty people applied for the same role and she/he's going through each of the apps and picking the right one?  I ain't trying to suck up, but I would hate for you to give up on special apps completely.

In my experience one week is not a long time when it comes to setting up a special role with a clan imm. Sure, sometimes it gets done in 2 days, but there are also times when it will take longer.  It doesn't mean they're a bad imm, it just means they're busy.  But you're right...if the pace that the setup happens at is too slow for you, then you will probably be better suited to another role where you won't be constantly impatient for response.

Also, I know you were up front with both of them about inquiring about both roles, and that's a GOOD thing.  But it might also give them the sense that you have something else to fall back on, removing any sense of urgency from the whole affair.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I have players that send me half written applications. I am not going to bother with these for consideration. I also have players that send me good applications but do not give me an account name to go with it. That holds everything up. I also get players that send good apps, but the return email bounces mail back. And lastly, I also get players that try to sneak past the special app proccess. (You know who you are)

From how I have been handling it, If you are answering the call to an imms announcement for a special role, you still need to get your app approved by Naephet as well as the imm that made the announcement, if you lack the karma for the role.
Bhagharva the Purulent Carcass