Nosave and enforcers

Started by Kalden, March 22, 2004, 02:13:59 AM

Enforcers kill tons of people who accidentally or deliberately commit crimes, but how many of these characters wanted to fight and resist ICly? Aren't most of these deaths actually OOC, because people just forget to type "nosave on"?

It's about time nosave got changed, because no one in their right mind actually resists enforcers. No one goes, "On guard! I will fight to the death!" when the enforcer lunges to subdue you. Most of them just don't want twinks jumping on them and subduing them, or don't want to accidentally fall to their death.

Would it be possible for subdue attempts by enforcers to be tweaked? And then we could toggle whether we wanted to resist arrest or not? Maybe they could use a very slightly different command, "arrest <victim>".

If this is impossible, and I don't see why it would be, could nosave at least to divided? So I could choose not to fail climb checks or magical save checks, but I would fail subdue?

This has costed hundreds of people their characters, and it's about time to change it.

Well I completely agree, but this has been discussed alot. (although not too recently I think)

Ideas as to have a specific nosave for the crim flag.  no surrender.

p.s. and as I saw no post I felt I could rush to the answer...but then as something came up and I returned to the page about a half hour later...*sigh* ;)

edit: Whoa! I do win...must be the morning thing kicking in.
Veteran Newbie

Magic saves should be taken out all together. Sure it might come in handy when trying to get healed, you don't want to resist it, but is that really a choice your character has, to resist or not? IMO it isn't.

A no climb could be useful if you need to do something but your climb is causing difficulties in doing it, but it also isn't really needed.

A noresist would be necessary. To either resist arrest or not.

And then another one that would be for the rest of subduing, as in a subdue by someone that isn't a soldier. Perhaps have it check for wearing the militia/templar cloak/robe? And if they don't have one it'll check to see if you are resisting subdues?

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I don't want to bitch but, the staff's time's important for me. They should work on ropes that can tie people and the command force for force-feeding. These should be finished before my next character, the raider. *chuckle* So, you may grab the message "You are now wanted" and prepare a simple trigger for that; "nosave on". So you'll never forget and get killed by seeing some jade as the last shiny thing in your life. Forgetting to turn it off? Ehrm.. Yep it will suck when a tiny elf grabs you next to the gates..
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

IC wise I see a lot of people going for the "On guard! I will fight to the death!" though.  This is not a case of "nice comfy jail cell with cable tv, three meals a day, and making 1.35?$ a day."   This are people with nothing to loose facing their own death or being beaten, starved, raped, mutilated, and then the worst death they can image (sense no one really knows what goes on behind closed doors).  

Back on subject... I wonder if they could make it so the escape/subdue feature lasts a bit longer.  Maybe have the guards –always- subdue, wait about 5 seconds or so (enough for stunned players to remember to 'nosave' if they wish) and then have the character try to break free.  Everything is the same... it just takes a bit longer.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

It would be nice if nosave was expanded to take different commandline parameters.

nosave all | magic | Law

Heh, I think it'd just be nice if the guards weren't uber-superior and god-like. Who needs a Sorcerer-King like Tek when you've got the common Nakki soldier who can hit me 12 times in a single round because my nosave was off?

I mean come on people... 12 times in a round. I've seen some badass PC warriors, but most of them can't compete with that. Maybe we could just tone those guys down a little so you have time to flee, nosave on and then get subdued? It used to be like that as I recall a year or so ago. Two years ago at the most because I remember running like hell through the Bazaar and not being chopped to bits in a single round after getting tackled over eight times and breaking free seven of them, catching a good number of whacks in between.

Note, I said most. Not all. Im sure theres more than a few 30+ day warriors who do nothing but train, rp and slaughter nasties by the dozen that could take out the guards in Allanak or Tuluk.

Bah! 12 times in a round? I played too much lawful characters in a row, but I remember a pickpocket of mine could withstand a few rounds, while I was rushing a little emote and l n;l s;l w; to find an opening on his way back to 'rinth.. Are they empowered? And why? Is it something like "A soldier represents a small unit of 12"? And a scrab appeared when I set my foot out of the gates lately, a group of them couldn't kill it in one turn. Are you sure you were at least, novice in battling with at least one weapon drawn (not a merchant), Pungee?
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I was an elven assassin with something like very good agility. It was 12 shots in one round. I've never seen that before. It was scary.  :shock:

Well, with nosave off, you'd just be standing before the guard, arms to the side and waiting to be disemboweled.  I'd think that a cityguard would have a nice amount of experience with training dummies.

Though it is frightening.  I want that.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Nope I didn't like it.. He could have experience training dummies. But he would be an ordinary guard.. No way, he mustn't be able to cut my assassin with two dujath-tooth knives in hands in a round.
But if that happened when you're unarmed, eh, fair play. He lopped my head off.

You can be a mul warrior/guard with twenty five years of twink-like combat practice and a shitload of armor.

You take this mul, you make him stand in place and not even dodge when he's fighting just a cityguard trainee, and that mul's going to die.

If you are not dodging and not fighting back, your head's going to get lopped off, no matter who you are.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Erm, dodging happens automatically upon initiation of combat as I recall.

So that example seems a bit flawed.

Dodging's weak. Probably guards' weapon skills are good, that's not something strange.. it should be, they're the guards.
So they would slash you adeptly, aiming a mental organ. I just think -not sure- weapon skills are added to dodge. Or something else, something logical that you're less vulnerable to attacks when you have a weapon in hand. Or it used to be. That pickpocket of mine didn't have the parry skill then. So he still dodged, but dodged well with weapons.
Once in one of my first chars -two years ago- I'm sure I saw that a beetle killed one of the guards before death. So they're not godlike, you may still kill one in an alley (supposed that you have weapons in hands :) ) easily. I never tried it, but I guess we can. (let a criminal try it and report as a guest, please, if it fits into his RP). But if they're really invulnerable, hitting 12 times to my semi-adept warrior/thug, that would mean a problem. Tek wouldn't let his elite guard wander in the streets looking for criminals. They're supposed to be having a bath in a hidden place somewhere.
That's my two 'sids, and I may share it with you if you're one of those guards. OK, OK.. get'em all.. Just let me go!

Why don't guards use mercy flag at least? Then they can subdue and left you in dungeon? Maybe it's hard to code.. but an idea...
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

The city guard NPC's aren't godlike for sure.  I had a elf with one of my very first characters that was getting hauled away to jail.  I managed to break loose and actually kill this half-giant who was dragging me off. Of course I shouldn't have even stuck around to fight him once I escaped, but hey I was just learnin' then.  The problem is when three or more come at you.  

I like nosave the way it is as it poses a risk involved when you attempt a crime.  Maybe you get it typed quick enough, maybe you don't.  Maybe you shouldn't have tried to rob/kill that guy.  Just my perspective.

Ciao.

Erm, you joined the GDB in 2003? That was a year ago almost now. If you're like me, you've been playing Arm since before you joined the GDB. Two years ago when I had my first run in with a city guard, I actually held my own and managed to almost battle my way into the rinth. Without weapons up. Things have changed, safe to say. That or I just got gang banged by a platoon. Either one.  Hehehe. I was in awe. I hope to one day achieve such uberness. Then kill Tek  8)

Ahhh, well maybe they have been changed since then.  Been a LONG time since I have got into a tangle with one so not sure how they are now.  I thought I recall seeing an Imm post not long ago about the NPC's not being much more powerful if not lesser so than most player PC's.  Maybe they were referring to those in the 'rinth only.  Dunno?