Forage

Started by Radioactive Age, March 18, 2004, 11:34:13 PM

If I forage for wood alot and get good at it, will I also end up being good at foraging for rocks, food, artifacts, etcc.?

Quote from: "Radioactive Age"If I forage for wood alot and get good at it, will I also end up being good at foraging for rocks, food, artifacts, etcc.?

Realistically, do you think being good at foraging for wood would make you good at foraging for artifacts?

It is possible your assumption is correct. Though, in this world, I don't know if your logic applies. I could be wrong though, as I usually am.

My thoughts on this...

If you're good at poking around for stuff, you're good at poking around for stuff.  Granted, poking around for one thing is a bit different than the rest, but the theory is the same.  Still, one thing and the next may be different.  I would try to figure it out in game if I was you.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Code cannot be perfect.

Think of weapon skills.  Learning to fight a human would be much different then learning to battle a mekillot, but there is only so many coded skills someone can have.

Thats where roleplaying should come in.  If you've never even -seen- a forest before, you should severely limit how well you can forage in that environment, where you might be an expert out in the desert.

I'm not really sure how the code handles this. I've played ranger class characters who were great at finding food but lousy with rocks. Random? A coded feature? No idea.

From an RP perspective though like wizturbo says, bear in mind what your character -would- know about what's under the dirt or hidden in the leaves. If you think your character wouldn't know what the heck a purple-polkadotted massive oozing tuber is, either RP an interest in it, or RP the assumption that your character wouldn't want something he can't identify. If he has no interest in it, you could either drop it or junk it, or grab one and try to sell it in the market.

I know I"ve been guilty in the past of hoarding stuff I've foraged, because *I* knew they were interesting even though my character might not really care one way or another. But I figured eventually she would care to examine the stuff..and as is always the case, eventually means death, and a box full of stuff that takes up space in the datafiles.

I've cut back significantly on that and taken to attempting to do all kinds of strange things with all kinds of objects so that my character can decide if it's something she wants. I've junked, dropped, or sold off certain things because my character wouldn't know a these things from a length of polyester, and since she couldn't cook it or smoke it or sniff it or taste it, she got rid of it.

Even though *I* knew that there was a market for this stuff..that some people might pay a handsome sum for it..it had no value to my ignorant character. A very hard thing to do I might add, but keeping IC and OOC seperate are just too important sometimes to mix them up without giving it a -great- deal of thought and character exploration.