What made you join?

Started by Trenidor, March 13, 2004, 07:39:43 PM

I've noticed a lot of newbies over the past few weeks which brought up my topic:

What -did- make you join?

For me it was my brother, he started playing and I decided I should too; it's sad though, he quit a few weeks after he started :(
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

I came here after pretty much seeking refuge from my first RP MUD...
It was a nice place, but most of the people were horrible.  Long, sad story.

Anyway, I was told about this place by a friend.  I also brought a couple of friends of mine, but one left and the other's too busy to play for now.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I saw a link to Armageddon on a MMORPG's discussion board thread discussing what people do when the game is not online.

When I was oocly talking with someone in a mud I was playing the subject of perma death came up in an indirect way. It was a game where when you died you became a ghost and had to be ressurected....yea. She mentioned Armageddon and a few weeks later I checked it out. Now...that mud which I enjoyed, I no longer enjoy.

heheh, I remember....in the middle of a fight I was losing...if I wasnt almost dead I could just close the window....a few minutes later I would be logged out.    *sigh*  Arm is far better.
Veteran Newbie

I had gone to one particular RPI mud, and read all the helpfiles. I found the tone of them was too cruel for me to enjoy it. I actually came to Armageddon because it was less harsh (on an OOC level).

I was playing my first mud, an LP "Realms" and saw Armageddon mentioned on ISCA.

I logged in and never looked back.
I do miss getting drunk to heal, though.  ;-)
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

DarkSun...Dune...cool RP.  A friend told me this...he also told me that you had to apply for a character...and the way he put it made it sound like I'd be waiting forever and I was like, 'Fuck that!'  We were both playing another mud together and he was also playing this one...well, that one basically was going to do a pwipe, but they hadn't decided when and let it drag on.  I didn't feel like playing any longer if I knew my character was just going to get deleted, so I gave Arm a shot.  Since then, on a side note, they finally did do the pwipe and put in a bunch of code changes and apparently it's cooler now...but Arm is still cooler than them, so I didn't go back.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I was inbetween games and had tried Arm before but could never get into it.  I decided on a whim to try it again since I love Darksun and Dune so much, started an enjoyable character and got sucked in.  As with any RP mud, always takes an interesting character and some PC interaction to really get into the game, at least for me.

For me I was playing over in Harshlands till someone told me to come over here. I have never really tried hack and slash they are dull to me. So when I came here I fell in love. The RP, is awsome and the selling point is the user friendliness. Even though when I first started I was scared and lost I was never alone. Always someone out there to help.

Summary: I came here because someone told me too because I was waiting for my char to be accepted.... I never did go back to the other.

Well, I had been playing MMORPGs at that point, and got interested in roleplaying. I went through a few roleplaying clans in UO (Hey, it's better than nothing) before I saw a link to Arm on a Slashdot comment.
I spent probably over a month reading the GDB and the docs until mustering the courage to apply.

When I first got connected to the internet, I could only afford a free connection. In Ottawa, where I live, one of the universities supplies access. Good old Freenet. It was back in the text-only realm, so with my monochrome monitor (I'm not old, just poor) I connected and could get to 3 MUDs. Armageddon, Blue Facial and Moosehead SLED. A friend of mine played Moosehead (MHS) so that's where I went. Didn't know any better then, and the hack'n'slash was fun enough for me. Being the ADD kid I was (am) I would jump from mud to mud, but I couldn't even get connected to Armageddon for a loooong time.. I kept getting this, "You must first create a character" message. With no explanation of how.

Finally one day it worked. But it was back before karma and I tried to make a mantis that was a short fat bald man. When the character was rejected I figured it was too much trouble because I couldn't even get into the game to read the helpfiles! I was young and it seemed too daunting to bother fighting with Freenet to find the web page, using my XT2 and monochrome monitor. 1200bps connection speed didn't help either.

Can't remember if it was 2000 or 2001 when I found Armageddon again. Karma was in effect. Knew how to describe a human, so I made one, and I was hooked. I also think I died within 24 hours of having been approved. Maybe the same day.

mmm...Armageddon.

Gorobei is my roommate.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"I saw a link to Armageddon on a MMORPG's discussion board thread discussing what people do when the game is not online.

Which one?  I pimp Armageddon on a -lot- of MMORPG/RPG boards when I can.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"It was Asheron's Call

Twas not I.

I was search of a really good RP MUD. I tried a few MUSHes, but I couldn't really get into them. I was in love with this game even before I applied for a my frist character. Perma-death, intensive mandatory RP..I mean who wouldn't be. Unfortunately, the harshness of the world scared me off for a while. But I returned after being put down by all those RP wanna-be MUDs out there. Man, I wish I could play more...
 got caught at school with my hands down my pants and had to keep it down there for  a whole week.......What a week!
~Chris, Family Guy

I was forced to play by a fellow player of another MUD. I wasn't giving no choice. If I didn't do it I would have been hunted down and killed.

So you can blame them.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I had been playing another supposedly RPI mud for about 3 years.  A friend of mine from there, with whom I had been RP'ing for most of that time, left about a year ago.  For three months I kept getting ICQ messages about how wonderful Arm was.  Finally, during a time when I needed a small break from the other mud, I came and checked out Arm.

I came.  I saw.  I stayed.

I never returned to the other place.
UNICORN
QuoteSome things have to be believed to be seen.

I was just a powerplayer in a few MUDs. But the bad thing is that I'm also a programmer. One day I thought I could let the computer do the fighting stuff. Another day I made a little addition, to hunt. And the next day I was drinking my tea watching the screen yelling "Yea level! ......... Yea level!".. Kinda boring eh?
Then searched in the Mud Connector. I became interested in. Wrote a description for a metalsmith dwarf (the only disapproved char :) ).. Then spent one whole day to read all the helpfiles and stuff.
And I'm still inviting friends to Arm, to find enough resource to kill when I play the assassin :) .
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Kankman"A friend of mine played Moosehead (MHS) so that's where I went.

Good ole Moosehead Sled. I also started there, thanks to freenet. I had to try Armageddon a couple of times before getting into it. With an interim Hack'n'Slash/RP-encouraged mud called DSL.
quote="Lirs"]Sometimes I wonder why I do it.. when reading the GDB feels like death.[/quote]

I made the mistake of reading over Drunken Salarr's shoulder as he played...Then he started explaining things to me...he finally got me to try my own character. That one didn't last too long, but I was hooked anyway...then came my second (and still favorite) character. I just did a write-up on her!

I played and was instantly addicted...And it sucks that I don't always have the time to play now... :cry:
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz"That is, at least, a step in the right direction, even if it is a step off the Shield Wall."

All my friends were really into Artic, though they did hack and slash.  Since I always loved Darksun, I started looking around for a mud that did that.  I found armaggeddon while searching through the Zmud listing.  Tried a few characters out, stopped playing muds of any type for a few years, but every time I get the mudding urge, I find myself back here.

there is just something wrong with killing people in the street for a chicken. in a place where law is supposed to be brutal.. (Shrug)
Sp I quit H&S for like three years and got bored and remembered arm, came here, didn't play for a month, Then I was hooked after that second hour, when I was tortured and beat up by a templar in prison :)
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

My babysitter.  8 years ago.  And he still plays.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

My brother, and the shitty state of UO.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870