Getting Tired

Started by SpyGuy, March 12, 2004, 05:25:47 AM

The problem with any sleep code forcing someone to sleep is that most people would have somewhere to go...they don't all actually IC sleep in the sleeping rooms of the different taverns and inns about the world.  They mostly do have homes that they would go to and sleep at...but don't have such a coded place to go.  It would make the game WAY too easy on those random wandering pickpockets that would hang out in inns and taverns and jack everything off the sleeping bitches.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think getting jacked by pickpockets would really be more of a newbie issue, and what better way to teach them about the harshness of the world than having them get robbed blind till they smarten up?  :twisted:  Regardless, noobs are the ones who go out killing stuff or mining all day and then head into a public dorm to sleep it off and regen faster.

Seriously though, its not hard to find an out of the way place to crash every once in awhile if you aren't clanned, you don't have to sleep in public dorms.  Though this might make for an interesting system to set up personal rented sleeping chambers at certain inns in the world, if the pickpockets were becoming too much of a problem.

Also to comment on uberjazz's point, this IMO should be a gradual code.  No one should all of a sudden see "you are getting tired" in the middle of a fight and then pass out from sleep code.  I was thinking more like have 2 days (18 hours) awake.  Then for 3 hours have messages like "you are getting tired" but no coded loss.  Then for 6 hours have the character lose stun and vigor until they finally pass out to sleep it off.  So in this you would have a 3 hour window to find somewhere to sleep (assuming you wait till the last minute) and then take an hour long nap.  If you wait till you pass out I think it would be fitting to have to wait a few hours to wake up.

So I'm thinking more like 18 hours awake, 9 hours of getting tired.  For most people this wouldn't be an issue (its 4 and a half hours RL time) but it would add some realism for those people who get by sparring 24/7.

Its just how harsh you want to make it and how realistic.  The issue is really how playable it would make the game, would this cause more problems than its worth.

thats why you add a free clear when you log out, not to be used for powergaming that is, but this will allow you to sleep durring times you log off. Its the people that stay on for several IC days that would end up sleeping other places.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

I don't like this idea, but I don't think it would necessarily cause people to pass out.  I've done things that caused my stamina to drop into the negatives without passing out.  Assessing yourself when you have negative stamina is funny, but I'll let you discover that message for yourselves.  :)  When stun drops to zero you always pass out, but stamina loss just leaves you helpless to move.  So you could be dead tired but still slug it out with that scrab or slump in your saddle and hope that your kank has enough energy to get you somewhere safe to camp.

But I'm still against the idea.  Tents are heavy.  The lightest tent I've found is 15 stone, that is 33 pounds, a heafty load for low strength characters like elves.  Until Zalanthas develops the one-man pup tent, I don't want any more stamina drains.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Well....try staying up for six straight days....with the mental effort you won't simply pass out. You might start to hallucinate, become deluded, and be in a very strange mental state. But you can stay concious, without drugs, etc.
Veteran Newbie

This is correct, Dracul, but if we force characters to sleep, I see lots of people growing dissatisfied with the game.  Why punish people for enjoying the game and sticking around long enoug that their characters would get tired?  Also, it doesn't matter how tired you are after being up for two days...you can still push yourself a bit further if your life depends on it, and the code can't tell when that is the case...unless you're in combat.  I say leave it to the player and move on.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yup, I agree with both sides. lately with developing a half assed social life I haven't been playing as much, and then even moreso when I do are large blocks of time.    I'm one of those chars who stays up endlessly, with this thread and a few others Im trying to make my char nap a little more.

1) I think if it could be easily coded, a failed theft from a sleeping person would wake them up.
2) the idea that sleep would be a very gradual thing, and easily rememedied would be great if it was to be implemented
3) I disagree with passing out. Being that my limited personal experience plus some reshearch. Damn, you can get incredibly messed up not sleeping (err...'mini sleeps' you fall asleep and dream for nano seconds and spliced with your waking mind you hallucinated, intresting subject...anyways)
                Perhaps temporarily lowering skills when in extended sleep dep, similiar to weight encumberances.

Suggestions is all, arm rocks! Raarr!
Veteran Newbie

And how will insomnia be coded? Sometimes people suffer from insomnia for no known reason, somtimes they suffer from it from stress. The code can't reflect these two situations. I say keep it as it is.

Aye...insomnia doesn't negate the effects of not sleeping though...even an insomniac suffers from utter exhuastion after a long enough time wihtout sleep...and extend the period, they'll get the hallucinations too. etc.

I'm not batting you down, just making a point, an insomniac would simply not type sleep, and blame it on their insomnia.

Having to sleep would be a playability bitch though, food and thirst can be solved by simply doing them, but they dont take up 'time'
Veteran Newbie

lol Time is pretty precious, but it's a good thing we got an upgrade to it, doubled it now so that we have more of it.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Time sucks, and I do my best to throw away as much as I can.