Whats the perfect Interval then?

Started by Dakkon Black, March 11, 2004, 06:02:57 PM

What amount of time should be used?

One month a week. Like it used to kinda turn out.
7 (16.3%)
One Month in ten RL days. So one Year per month RL.
17 (39.5%)
Keep it as is. Six weeks Rl for one IG year.
19 (44.2%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 11, 2004, 06:02:57 PM

We seem to be all over on this discussion and some want one way and some the other and some keep it. I fully appriciate the new code and think that stability of the time rocks. However I think that with this new code we do need to change time. Because it is to slow now. Where do you want it to go?

Remember that changing the speed it moves does not mean that we remove the benifits of the code change. The purpose of the code is to sync RL and IC time. Now the question is what speed should we move.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

It will work as is.

However, should we change it, the second option is the way to go. One IC Year per 30 RL Days.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If you cut the current year (six weeks) by half (three weeks, or roughly 1 month), then you will also cut all other times by an equally proporitionate scale.

Do we really want to see 5 minute hours, or 40 minute days? I think ten minutes per IC hour is perfectly reasonable, and has been the IC standard time estimate we've had since I can remember. The only differnce is: now its no longer an estimate, its a reality.

I think people are getting unnescearially bent out of shape about the change. Its good, needed change, and opens up a great number of options that weren't open to us before. I say roll with it for a little while, and don't sweat so much - the change has been in only a few days. Thats not even enough time to notice anything, really.
Tlaloc
Legend

Tlaloc, while I agree, I think the problem folks are saying they have with it is that now, there are only 9 IC years in an OOC years. They liked it when there were 17 years in an OOC year.

I don't think folks are upset about the actual time syncronization, but rather, the now slower total IC year passage.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

It may make changing the current calendar, but you CAN keep a ten minute hour and still have an IC month last one week. Which I think is the best course myself.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

People are going to get use to this change. We always do. I say keep it :) At the moment, it takes X amount of OOC time to get custom orders. I'd like to see this OOC time remain the same, which (IMO) would allow it to make more sense ICly.

We use to have the Saturday reboot time for when interesting things happened. I'd like to see this changed over time to a more IC standard, with the converging of the suns and the two moons (which happens 3 times in an IC month) become a standard where things happen (for example. If the T'zai Byn went to Tuluk twice an OOC fortnight in the old system, they would go 3 times in an OOC fortnight).

While peolpe are going to say it won't happen, you never know. As we get use to it, it might become more normal for it to happen, as it will happen the exact same time every X amount of days (if I understand the ramifications of the new system).

Am I the only one who is actually happy with a slower timescale?

Attaining old age through gameplay is now a sign of a true hardcase.
Back from a long retirement

What I would like to see, is a game clock on the website or something, so that we can sync our computers to it.  Not something that tells us what time it is in game, but what clock the game is basing its calculations off of.  That way, it will be easier to calculate an IC meeting time, rather than just: "ooc How 'bout we meet tomorrow at 9PM EST."
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "uberjazz"What I would like to see, is a game clock on the website or something
like the one at the bottom of this page?

Quote from: "Tlaloc"If you cut the current year (six weeks) by half (three weeks, or roughly 1 month), then you will also cut all other times by an equally proporitionate scale.  

Not necessarily.  Just change the number of days in a year, it isn't like there are IC calendar enforcement police.  

Go to a 480 day year and it would last 30 OOC days, that would be 3 160 day months.  That way you get 12 IC years per OOC year.

Or go to a 4 month year, each month being 112 days long, each month would go by in one OOC week.  An entire year would take 28 days.  You would still get about 12 IC year per OOC year.

12 years per year is good.  Not quite so fast as 9, but significantly slower than the old 17.  It lets you play a "young" character for at least 6 months if you choose, but keeps living out an entire lifecycle an achievable goal.

QuoteI think people are getting unnescearially bent out of shape about the change. Its good, needed change, and opens up a great number of options that weren't open to us before. I say roll with it for a little while, and don't sweat so much - the change has been in only a few days. Thats not even enough time to notice anything, really.

This is the discussion board, we discuss things.  I don't think anyone is bent out of shape with hatred for the new time code, it is  a good thing.  

But it isn't necessarily a PERFECT thing.  Since time is being messed with now, it is the perfect time to assess other aspects of time  Two adjustment periods is worse than one.  

Forget about how long an hour goes by, how log a year goes by is really a seperate issue.  Is 17 IC years per real year a good ratio?  Is 9 IC years per IC year better?  Is there another option better than either one?  Personally, I think that in the long run 12 IC years per real year would be the best ratio.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "John"
Quote from: "uberjazz"What I would like to see, is a game clock on the website or something

No...a system clock.  So i can set the one at the bottom of my screen to it.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

How about this.. we speed up RL time..That way.. We can have it as is and it will go by faster :D

You people whine about independandt and there should be more of them, and then this is thrown in your face and guess what!
You whine about it.
I'm all for this, You will get to be used to it, and we will love it down the line.

Crackageddon isn't loved for its easyness, but for the harshness :)
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

The only reason I feel more inclined to having more IC years pass per RL year is that I play games because you can have an entire set of experiences within them. I wan't to be able to live a long lived char and not spend 12 RL years taking them from child to crone.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: "creeper386"It may make changing the current calendar, but you CAN keep a ten minute hour and still have an IC month last one week. Which I think is the best course myself.

Creeper

This is the best idea I've heard myself.  Doesnt require changing the days in a week, the months in a year or the years in a cycle.  All it changes is the number of weeks in a month, something I -know- most people didnt keep track of. (No, I dont know it for certain but I'm guessing here, sue me)

But I say give the current scheme a shot, the worst it could do is slow down progression for a few PCs in their clans and make everyone, well non independents) a little poorer.

Quote from: "uberjazz"
Quote from: "John"

No...a system clock.  So i can set the one at the bottom of my screen to it.

Ginka sets its clock off of the NIST time servers. If you want to keep your computer synched with Ginka's clock, just have your computer sync up with the NIST time servers, and you'll be all good.

-S

Quote from: "creeper386"It may make changing the current calendar, but you CAN keep a ten minute hour and still have an IC month last one week. Which I think is the best course myself.
Creeper
Quote from: "Later, AngelaChristine said"Go to a 480 day year and it would last 30 OOC days, that would be 3 160 day months. That way you get 12 IC years per OOC year.
Note: I didn't quote the entire statement for brevity.
There are a few problems with this.
1.  The time-stabilisation is an OOC change.  Alterating the calender is an IC change.  The world has always run at 3-month intervals, and it's always had 11 days in a week, 9 hours in a day.  Now, you're suggesting that it be changed to 6 months, in one year.  This is possible, yes, but you'd have to convince a few million people this is better. ;)

2.  Putting the calender-alteration debate aside:  A year's length is determined by how long it takes the planet to orbit the sun.  Also.  A month's length is dependent on the moons' cycles.  OOCly, we can change this, yes.  But I'd rather not alter the entire timeline and history of the world to accomodate this change.  Many historical events incorporated the moons' phases and alignments.  
Not to mention, there are countless code changes that we'd have to fix to implement this, and would be like opening a whole new can of worms (aka, bugs).

3.  Someone suggested an idea that caught my eye that I didn't quite agree with: The proposal: change the calendar to 6 months in a year, basically returning it to the schedule prior to the changes.  If this was implemented, you would still have to pay 200 (or more) for rent amongst other expenses once a week, for 6 weeks (6 OOC weeks = 1 IC year).  This is fine and dandy, but most clans decide salaries on a yearly basis, and divide it by 3 months.  If the 6-month system was implemented, we'd divide it by 6 months.  You'd be paid less monthly, while having to pay the same rent, amongst other expenses like food and water and clothes/equipment.
Whereas, under the new time-system, you only have to pay it every other week while being paid the same yearly salary.  You're actually cutting your rental expenses in half while keeping the same yearly salary.  1200 versus 600.  I like the 600, personally.  There would be more money to go around, this way.

Many side-effects from the time-stablisation are beneficial, and they outweigh the disadvantages.  What I suggest is try to live with this for a few weeks, and if you still feel something needs to be changed, email the mud with a thorough proposal - a well-written proposal is more likely to be received postively than "This is whacked!"  As always, it is mud@armageddon.org.
Ashyom

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"Am I the only one who is actually happy with a slower timescale?

Attaining old age through gameplay is now a sign of a true hardcase.

Damnit, thank you.

Acctually, Ashyom, you can go edit your post and figure out who made the quote. I beleive that second quote is AC, I know it wasn't me.

And it wouldn't be an IC change, yes it's change IC things, but it's still be an OOC change to work with new code. It has happened before I'm sure.

And I've acctually changed my mind, arranging something, to keep the say day length, even week length, but allowing for 12 IC years in one OOC year would probably be best. Yes, it might take some adjusting the code that handles the moons and time and everything, but that shouldn't be too hard unless whoever wrote them never gave any thought to future change.

Yes, it'll change alot of things. But I think it's a neccessity. Thing have been the same for along while, this new code changes things to work correctly, but differently. Perhaps the whole time thing'll work, but I DO think only having 9 IC years in one year is WAY too slow, period. And if they time isn't adjusted, some IC change in the way pay is handled well have to come accrossed. No matter what I think it's utter bull that clanned characters are litterally being fucked by this new change, because they are.
21sters Unite!

Yes yes and yes. Perhaps double clanner pay per year? As in same pay people used to get per week with the old system.