Bait

Started by Sir Diealot, March 11, 2004, 10:24:30 AM

Hey, I was just wondering if there might be a potential for 'bait' to be set out ? ie. lets say gortoks like x type of meat, and when you put it out the mud spawns a gortok a few places away and has it run on in to get the meat, or maybe a nearby gortok just 'smells' it and chases down the scent like it would a piece of prey.. though perhaps x meat is also delicious to mekilotts, so you run the danger (or fun) of attracting them as well if you're not careful when you're carrying it around (ie, scent wafts off you as well, but to a lesser degree if it's in a pack or something) might be difficult to code..but it'd be really fun, and also opens up the idea of traps. ie. xmeat on top of woven mat that leads to a spike pit dug in the sand, or something like a simple rock-branch trap that falls on the animal to deal some damage before you attack it.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Very interesting...but I do not know of anything like this coded into the game.

...which is not to say that it isn't, but just that I don't know of it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

What I would rather see, is the ability to bait creatures that are already there.  Say there's a pack of raptors three rooms away, but you can't fight 5 of them at once because you're not stupid, and you want to pull just one away, you could lay down a piece of meat in the adjacent room, drawing one of them in your direction.

The problem is, once you go into that room, you are now fighting five sand raptors.

Perhaps you should be able to throw the meat from a room away?  Though technically a room in the wild is a league or more...thoughts?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "uberjazz"... Say there's a pack of raptors three rooms away, but you can't fight 5 of them at once because you're not stupid, and you want to pull just one away, you could lay down a piece of meat in the adjacent room, drawing one of them in your direction.

The problem is, once you go into that room, you are now fighting five sand raptors.

Once you go into there, it is not important whether you carry the meat or not.  They can smell it from your hand.  

And, once you throw the meat, there is no telling that only one of them will come to the smell of meat.  Why not all should come to it?
some of my posts are serious stuff

Better to get a pack of gith to come over and fight the pack of raptors for you.  Then you fight whoever is left standing.  :twisted:

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

We already have bait IG.

The grimy, wind-ravaged hunter says in sirihish:
  "Alright.... here is the plan.  You just slip into this meat suit...."

The fresh-faced strapping youth says in sirihish:
   "Meat suit?"

Assisting the fresh-faced strapping youth into the blood-dampened meat suit, the grimy, wind-ravaged hunter says in sirihish:
    "Oh, yeah.  Nothing to it.  Done this dozens of times."

Eyes goggling at the raptor pack on the far horizon, uncertainly the fresh-faced strapping youth asks:
     "You've worn the suit?"

Stringing up his bow and nocking an obsidian tipped arrow, the grimy, wind-ravaged hunter says in sirihish:
      "Sure.... sure.... -everyone- gets to wear the suit the first couple years.  Off you go, lad."

The grimy, wind-ravaged hunter places a gloved hand in the small of his back and shoves the fresh-faced strapping youth solidly west.

The fresh-faced strapping youth leaves west, wearing a dripping meat suit.

The grimy, wind-ravaged hunter begins to watch west.

Taking a firm archery stance, the grimy, wind-ravaged hunter bring his bow up and sights carefully.

Looking to the west you see the Sandy Barrens

Near:
Nothing.

Far:
A fresh-faced strapping youth in a dripping meat suit.

Very Far:
A tan-striped bipedal lizard is here drooling and grinning.

The grimy, wind-ravaged hunter begins listening.

The grimy, wind-ravaged hunter winces.

A male voice is heard from the west:
       "Aaaieeeee!!!"

Drawing a steady bead with his arrow and closing one eye, the grimy, wind-ravaged hunter shouts in sirihish:
       "Just keep running around in a very small circle, lad!  It -always- confuses them!"
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Maybe rather than "bait" how about a "set trap" skill for rangers or outdoors-type people so they can set snares and other types of devices to catch wild animals.

Not talking the trap skill that is currently coded, but something more like for small game in RL.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

:lol:

Seeker...that was awesome!   8)
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I've always thought a good skill for rangers to branch would be:

Quote from: "Imaginary Help_Skill_Lure"The lure skill allows a successfully hidden ranger to use a food item to entice nearby creatures into their room.

Syntax: lure <creature> <direction>

Note: The ranger must have an item flagged as type 'Food' in their inventory.

Quote from: "CRW"I've always thought a good skill for rangers to branch would be:

Quote from: "Imaginary Help_Skill_Lure"The lure skill allows a successfully hidden ranger to use a food item to entice nearby creatures into their room.

Syntax: lure <creature> <direction>

Note: The ranger must have an item flagged as type 'Food' in their inventory.

Me like.  Would be a great way for hunt to branch at high levels.

I like the lure idea as well, and the snare idea.  And, to the guy with the 5 raptor..what about a pit trap, that all-some-or-none of the raptors might fall into, ie...'use shovel for pit' or something..'craft grass into mesh'..'lure raptor here'..and you high-tail it out of there, shoot whatever raptor (maybe 1 or 2 outside the pit) is standing around, and only those two charge you..the others being in the pit (maybe even a temporary room to the 'down' exit.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

But in South? Digging into sand won't be economic. There are those worms and mekillots.. They wouldn't be trapped with a pit. Maybe preparing a snare, spikes, etc.

>craft rope rope rope into large web made of mesh rope
...in desert...
>l n
[very far]
A short figure in ebony cloak is searching the area intently. (I guess it was the echo for the foraging)
A yellow kank is resting here.
>think Hmm... Let's try snaring 'im. I don't want to see any blood today
>emote grins as he reaches for ~pack
>open pack
>get web pack
>close pack
>sneak
>n
>rest (he's on a kank, of course...)
>watch north
>sheathe steel
>sheathe steel
>etwo web
>sneak (this time for our man)
>sneak
>n (slowly moving towards the figure)
>n (slowly moving towards the figure)
>change ldesc is slowly moving to the figure
>emote suddenly throws ~web onto ~figure;use web figure (sorry, but I hate it when the other person just walks when I emote, so yes I DO stack commands before the first attack.)
The web snares the figure in an ebony cloak succesfully!
(Now he has a great lag. He'll still fight back, but won't be able to draw, stand if sitting, or jump up and down with joy. He also has his saves versus subdue and steal decreased, if possible. A fine halberd exchanged with a filthy web would be fine enough for people who don't like to PKill.)
>emote grins reaching for ~rope wrapped around his waist.
>emote kneels to ~figure as he's fluttering in ~web
>emote tries to grab %figure hands
>subdue figure
>emote tries to tie %figure hands as he flutters.
>use rope (I don't know if this is possible, but this will be primarily better. An item that could be used against the subdued. Or I would beat him with bludgeoning weapons and sap him if I can. No need to hide for sap this time, he's incapacipated to a degree. Possibly you'll target the head with more ease.)
You tie the figure in an ebony cloak succesfully.
>emote raises grinning.
>release (he'll still act as subdued. He's tied.)
>draw steel
You draw a steel katana with arcane etchings. ( :twisted: )
>say (letting out a chuckle) Y'know.. They need slaves in North eh? We have a long way to North, so you'd better stand up.
>emote helps ~figure get rid of %web snare.
>get web
>guard figure
>say (heading to south, pulling the rope) I will gain a few 'sids after taking ye to there, eh? Why don't you talk?
>emote turns to ~figure
>say -grinning Ah.. Please don't hate me.. I'm just doin' what to do to make a good livin'
>ooc Sorry.. still web-lagged? (hmm.. I guess I forgot all about his kank.. I should be a ranger to RP this with maximum profit eh? )
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

You could -never- dig a pitfall in most places out there. All I've ever seen are rocks & sand and you can't dig through either. As soon as you take one shovel full of sand another falls in.  Plus, even if you could do it some how, it would take you from dawn till dusk to dig one big enough.  I do like the snare trap idea though.
Fear not death, for it is your destiny.