Problems with tags and silly stuff like that

Started by spawnloser, March 10, 2004, 08:08:18 AM

Something I have noticed, and this is GDB that I'm talking and not the MUD, but sometimes you'll see those end quote tags at the end of a post.  I'm pretty sure I've figured out what causes this and thought I would discuss for everyone's benefit.

See, this only happens when someone quotes someone.  I have never had it happen to me, and I've developed a theory that this is because I do not use the little buttons at the top of the posting field when making any entries.  I am guessing this comes from when someone uses the 'quote' button to quote something and then manually ends the quote instead of pushing the button again.  Then, when you hit the submit button, the GDB thinks, "Oh!  That poster didn't turn off the quote button!  It must mean that the last part of the post was all quote and I should end quote that thing so that the board's display doesn't get all fuggered."

Does anyone have any supporting or disprooving data for this theory?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

You know, I thought I would test my theory...this will be posted using the button but closing the quote manually.

QuoteTestes, testes, one, two.
[/quote]

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I guess this just turned into a public service announcement...

So...yeah, if you use the 'quote' button, use it to end the quote too or you'll have little end quote tags at the ends of your posts.

Quote from: "spawnloser"

See, this only happens when someone quotes someone.  I have never had it happen to me, and I've developed a theory that this is because I do not use the little buttons at the top of the posting field when making any entries.  I am guessing this comes from when someone uses the 'quote' button to quote something and then manually ends the quote instead of pushing the button again.  Then, when you hit the submit button, the GDB thinks, "Oh!  That poster didn't turn off the quote button!  It must mean that the last part of the post was all quote and I should end quote that thing so that the board's display doesn't get all fuggered."

Actually, this happens to me occaionally and I never use those buttons.  It usually happnes when I don't use the quotation in it's entirity, or break it up into a few smaller quotions.  Since the End Tag isn't automatically there at the end of the bit I'm quoting, I type it in manually.  Then the /quote tag, and sometimes a chunk of text I didn't need, appears at the end of my post, because I forgot it was there.  :oops:  Sometimes it happens that I sign my name twice too, because I put down my name, then think of more to say, and put my name at the bottom of that bit too.  So I wind up with my name (or initials) a few blank lines, and then my name again.  Then I have to edit my post to remove it.

This problem doesn't come up if I take the time to Preview my post rather than just hitting Submit, but who has time to Preview?  People could be poaching the thread while I'm busy waiting for the Preview to load, making my post laughable and irrelevent.  I'll not stand for it!  :P

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

A quickie how-to guide on using the tags without clicking buttons:

To quote, type the word quote, and surround it by straight brackets. Then paste the thing you want to quote, and end the quote with this: /quote
surrounded again by straight brackets. ][ are straight brackets. Reverse what I just typed so each leg of the bracket points inward to the word quote.

[quote] [/quote]

Quote_SpawnLoser_  

That's what happens.

To bold something, begin what you want bolded by the letter b surrounded by straight brackets, and end it with /b plus the brackets.

[b] [/b]

This is bold.

To italicize, the code is the letter i, then /i, with the brackets.

[i] [/i]

This is italics.

To underline, it's u, then /u.

[u] [/u]

This is underlined.

To show the actual code, it's the word code, then /code.

[code] [/code]

[quote] [/quote]

All other tags work the same way.

You're just NOW figuring this out Spawn?

Tsk tsk tsk.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

If you press the button quote and end it with [/quote] manually the bb thing will automatically end it for you, (because it assumes you didn't) it does this with all the tags I think.

I never paid attention to it, creeper, as it was never an issue for me.  I just recently saw it and decided to investigate and bring it into public view so that others could know as well.