Where do I live?

Started by jmordetsky, March 09, 2004, 04:47:17 PM

So, I'm a commoner in Allanak....I don't work for a house, lets say I OC just stepped my feet into the game.

Where do I live?

Does everyone sleep in public dormatories? On the streets? Virtual mud brick hovels? If I live in a virtual mubbrick hovel, why would I pay neyuk to rent a non-virtual mudbrick hovel.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Usually I say I have a little place in the commoner quarter. Even have rent split with me and some other tenants. The I just log in the bar.

Say (turning out the exit) Heading home boys, see ya for next weeks hunt

The bald stumpy woman has left the world.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

There's always the option of...

"Well, once I reached a certain age, the parents tossed me out to fend for myself... Still looking for a place of my own though."

Or there's Dakkon's way, which I really like. And in the case someone ever wants to go visit...

The gaunt-faced, loreshi-thin man tells you, in sirhish:
 "Heya sweetness... You gotta place I can practice getting my kank on... Er I mean, getting on my kank? ... That won't cost me any black..."

With a disinterested nod of the head, you say to the gaunt-faced, loreshi-thin man, in sirihish:
 "Well... I do. But my door seems to get stuck sometimes. There's this 15 ten-stone of muscle and obsidian axe thing called a pappa... And well... He doesn't like me talking to guys.

The gaunt-faced, loreshi-thin man clears his throat and nods.

From the back of the room, his features curling to a disgusted sneer, the man with a thick linen cloth over his nose shouts, in sirihish:
 "Great Tek! Wha' th'fek stinks in 'ere!?"  :shock:

Quote from: "jmordetsky"If I live in a virtual mubbrick hovel, why would I pay neyuk to rent a non-virtual mudbrick hovel.

Because you want a place to keep non-virtual crap, so it can be stolen by non-virtual burglars, as opposed to those virtual burglars that hit my virtual house every Ocandra.

If you -come- from a mudbrick hovel, it doesn't mean that you want to remain there. So looking for a place with a lock from a Nenyuk sounds reasonable to me.

One character came from a fairly wealthy family. Owned their own house, had virtual relatives living in it, and on a small compound farm outside town as well. This character was clanned, and used the barracks as a home base for clan-related activities and a change of clothes so the character could go visit family and go "home" without wearing the clan's uniform off-duty.

That's another thing - you can easily justify using barrack rooms and lockers even if your character has their own family home somewhere else.

QuoteWhere do I live?

Does everyone sleep in public dormatories? On the streets? Virtual mud brick hovels? If I live in a virtual mubbrick hovel, why would I pay neyuk to rent a non-virtual mudbrick hovel.

Ok, a few things... just in case you're confused.

OOCly, do not sleep in public, not even in your clan's room.  Fact is there are just too many people who cannot cannot be trusted not to steel from you.

A. find someplace to hide if you sleep.  B. Do not sleep.  or C. get someone to watch over you as you sleep.  
Yes, virtually you could say you sleep at the Gaj or maybe you can afford a room at Traders or just pick a spot... say you stay there.

Now, understand there -ARE- coded houses in games.  These are the ones you would actually -pay- Nenyuk for, and you'd get a key for, and you'd be able to sleep in, and you'd be able to keep stuff in.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

My 2 Sids, this may be off topic, but you gotta get a handle on what it is to play as if you were actually that character.

The kind of thinking you doing is typical of the play that damages the game, IMO.

Kinda like a fellow that chatted me the other day and said that a particular person should know a particular thing because he was an experienced player.  Never once did that guy ever think that maybe the CHARACTER didn't know, and the player did.

What I'm saying here is that playing so that you don't trust anyone IC because you had another character ripped off is bad RP, bro.

In the game, you should feel safe sleeping in your Clan room, but if you don't it should be because of your character's personality and experiences - not YOURS.

Do you get it yet?
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

It's like this:

You've got a small house in the commoners corner, you don't need to pay for it cuz it's already payed, but I think taxes take place (not too positive) anyway, doesn't matter, if there are taxes, you pay them while your oocly gone

Same thing applies if you live in an appartment, you pay it while your pc becomes vpc.

Also, some people live on the streets, if you're extreemly poor, you could live in the halways of the hotels, I'm sure they are light sleepers and could tell if you tried approaching them.

For theives: Theives steal from the people in the halways that are not light sleepers, that's where they get their v-money to pay vbills in the vworld.

Also, I'm sure other stuff happens to your char while your not around.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Woah, easy there Moab.  It sounds to me like you're really angry at this person, but don't let that misguide you about me or my post.  Like grog here, I read this post as an OOC question, hence, I gave an OOC answer. But now that you, oh so nicely, pointed out to me this is an IC question, I'll answer again.  Hopefully this will be acceptable for your Grace.  
----------------------------------------
Think about your character's background.  If they come from a very poor home life or were born in the rinith but want to spend as much time possible in 'nak proper so maybe they do sleep in the streets or in the Gaj (think YMCA or homeless shelter).  If you're a hunter maybe you just shell out a few extra coin on the side so you can say with your kank.  Take up a street, spot, ally and defend that as your own property.

If you're a bit more well off (actually has a job or something) maybe your character has addictions or other things so he/she doesn't feel the need to shell out big money for a shoty house.  It's possible you're character lives in the small tent or farm villages just outside the city gates.  Or perhaps your character lives as proudly as they can, paying rent for a small dwelling and abides with their patents/family/children/mate/roommate/etc.

Maybe you're a merchant, have a little sid.  Maybe you can afford to live at Traders, where your clients are, close to the action.  (think of it more like an Inn, an actual place to buy rooms by the month or year)  or maybe you travel and stay with friends wherever you go.   There are some nice apartment buildings, this would give your character an "exact" location that is still very virtual in game.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>