What is with this?

Started by spawnloser, February 18, 2004, 08:07:41 PM

I like the idea about contact showing the name, as opposed to the short desc.

I will also continue to give folks fake names if I feel like it. There is nothing twinkish about this.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The Way is one thing. But if the dark-haired man tells me that his name is Joe, and I

tell joe (nodding) Nice to meet you.
and I get "there's no one here by that name"

Then I'm gonna KNOW that isn't his name. That he's lying. OOCly, I will know, without a doubt.

ICly, my character is trying to "tell joe" something. There's really no way to translate that in text. ICly, it's awkward because I know, without any possible shade of doubt, that Joe is not his name. ICly, if I had to stretch it, I could assume I'm trying to catch his attention by "telling joe" and he isn't answering me. ICly, this is the only way I could explain the coded name keyword not working. And ICLy, that would justify my accusation that he is not, in fact, named Joe.

If you -really- want to be anonymous, either don't give out ANY name, or add a nickname to your list of keywords. Whatever it is you answer to, be it Joe or Poopie or Bestatte, that's the name that should be on your list of keywords. If you answer to 5 names, have 5 keywords.

I don't think that should be an issue.

Quote from: "Bestatte"The Way is one thing. But if the dark-haired man tells me that his name is Joe, and I

tell joe (nodding) Nice to meet you.
and I get "there's no one here by that name"

Then I'm gonna KNOW that isn't his name. That he's lying. OOCly, I will know, without a doubt.

ICly, my character is trying to "tell joe" something. There's really no way to translate that in text. ICly, it's awkward because I know, without any possible shade of doubt, that Joe is not his name. ICly, if I had to stretch it, I could assume I'm trying to catch his attention by "telling joe" and he isn't answering me. ICly, this is the only way I could explain the coded name keyword not working. And ICLy, that would justify my accusation that he is not, in fact, named Joe.

I disagree very strongly here. When you type into your editor, "tell joe (nodding) Hello.", you are not trying to talk to Joe, the name. You are trying to talk to Joe, the person. The person is not a name, s/he is a object, a being. A name is a moniker. If you, "say (looking about the room) I know a guy named Joe." then I agree that you are talking about Joe, the person AND name. But when face to face with this person, telling them something, the Name has no bearing on anything whatsoever, and you as a PC, not the player, wouldn't even think about it on that level.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If they don't want you to contact them or at least leave you in doubt they have two options:

1) Give a fake name
2) Give no name at all

You can't force the man in the dark hooded cloak to give you a name, if you tells you to call him 'Spike' you'd ICly call him spike.  I personally think its a little twinkish to think that since you OOCly know that isn't his real name because of code (look 'spike' doesnt register) you think that they're trying to "cheat the game" or the like.

Lesson to learn: Use other keywords or gain someones trust.

I personally think non-keyword names should be for anyone wanting privacy, keyworded names should only be used for nicknames that are immediately associated with said person.

So, Bestatte, when you use 'tell <sdesc term>' you're doing the same thing?

The bestatte-like woman says, in sirihish "Hey Sinewy man!"

I reject any stretch of logic that somehow has your PC knowing someone is lying to them because you cannot target them with the tell command by given name.

QuoteAs for the code itself, could we have it changed to echo names instead of descriptions? That is, instead of "you contact the short, fuzzy man." one would see "you contact Yuba"

Why don't we just drop the whole sdesc system too while we're at it?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "Carnage"
QuoteAs for the code itself, could we have it changed to echo names instead of descriptions? That is, instead of "you contact the short, fuzzy man." one would see "you contact Yuba"

Why don't we just drop the whole sdesc system too while we're at it?

Nah, just remove the whole emote system.

Quote from: "CRW"So, Bestatte, when you use 'tell <sdesc term>' you're doing the same thing?

The bestatte-like woman says, in sirihish "Hey Sinewy man!"

I reject any stretch of logic that somehow has your PC knowing someone is lying to them because you cannot target them with the tell command by given name.

Agreed, it's an ooc concept you just have to play around.

The bottom line is, don't criticize, practice.  I believe it says somewhere in the documentation "If you think that dual wielding two large weapons is unrealistic, then don't dual wield two large weapons.  But don't go around telling other people not to."

The same rule can apply here.  Even more so, since I don't think anybody can say with authority exactly how the way works.  It's left up to the imagination of players.
Back from a long retirement