Cutting off people talks, fo' shizzle.

Started by sacac, February 14, 2004, 03:34:35 PM

Nigga, this made be use my head when I's reading that bitchin' thread about that slow typin' 'n shit.

(Rolls eyes) Anyways.
Just wondering How many of you, when talking with another PC, Delete the entire thing you were going to say so you could respond differently?

(Your typing out something to say that involves killing a certain templar or noble with another person at the table)

(Then that noble or templar walks into the room and you didn't push enter yet before you saw him)

Do you delete the entire thing you were saying or just cut yourself off and press enter? (Anyone know what i mean?)

So instead of you saying something like: "Yeah, next time I see that kank-sore, Imma kill them." (You hold down/press delete until that is gone)
And instead you say "Anyways, How are you doing today?"
or do you just stop where you are in the sentance and press enter?
(Sorta like this)
(Spotting noble/templar) Yeah, Next time I see that kank-sore.. Yeah.. How are you doing today?

(I admit to deleting what I was going to say and saying something differently)

So, Anyone do that? or is it just me?? (I have been trying to do that last one I mentioned and go with the flow of what My PC is saying.)
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

I usually delete the whole thing or parts of it and flash an emote to show that my character was indeed interrupted in her speech by the person walking in.

It depends on the situation as well, some characters might finish the sentence anyway, fully aware that their target has entered the room. And then pretend they didnt know. Others might blush and try to pledge innocence, swallowing their comment entirely. Again others might change subject in a way that doesnt arose suspicion, and reflect indifference.

Both, depending on situation. As long as its feasible to treat the already typed and not yet sent text as already being spoken, I prefer hitting return, maybe just add some dots trailing off in mid-word to get it out timely, and then add an emote/tell such as (interrupting himself in mid-sentence)  Yeah... How're ya doing today?

Other situations cause me just to nix the already typed line, especially when proceedings happened to be faster than my typing, and the sentence would just have been a source of irritation and awkwardness.

Or, on other situations, I'd replay something to get back in sync with another char. For example when due to my own oversight, my ldesc would still read 'lies sleeping under a blanket' after I had already typed "wake" and started morning routine. Since wake doesn't reset the description, it has happened to me a few times that I had to "wake up a second time" after someone had stumbled in and seen the char all asleep in broad daylight for all he knew. This certainly feels awkward, and if anyone has a better idea, I'm open to suggestions ...
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]

The only times I do things like this is when the scene changes and I need to add or subtract someone from my emote or say. Typically, I let fly with whatever strikes me as something my character would say. If that Templar walks into the room, well, tough shit for me (or him :twisted: ).
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

On my mud client, if ya hit the downkey it'll erase everything you were typing.  I -really- like to add some of those well thought out sentences in as thinks, if i think it would be too OOC for the character to actually say it...but yes, I delete and rewrite stuff constantly.

Yeah, I just say it anyway.  Unless it would be retardedly awkward.

Unfortunately, this usually results in two completely different conversations going on in between two people.