Longest Lived Character (RL Days Actively Played)

Started by Twilight, February 10, 2004, 06:56:28 AM

How many RL days have you spent logged in playing one character?

Less than 1 day
0 (0%)
1 to 5 days
6 (4.4%)
5 to 10 days
12 (8.9%)
10 to 20 days
23 (17%)
20 to 30 days
17 (12.6%)
30 to 40 days
21 (15.6%)
40 to 50 days
13 (9.6%)
50 to 75 days
17 (12.6%)
75+ days
26 (19.3%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Voting closed: February 10, 2004, 06:56:28 AM

This is part of a pair of poll questions dealing with how long people have played their longest lived characters.  It would be great if people answered to both!

How long did you play your longest lived character, as determined by number of active RL hours/days played?  This is roughly equivalent to the number that score gives you, which represents the number of days and hours logged in to that character you have spent playing them.  However, the number in score will take into account linkdead time as well.  So, if you spent 20 days actively playing the character, and 30 days linkdead with them in the game, please discount the 30 linkdead days and give the active days spent playing the character.

I'm interested in knowing how much time people have spent in the game with a single character, putting effort into keeping them alive, developing them, etc.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

And for this poll, you specifically ask for longest-lived ever.  Are the two polls supposed to be linked, then?

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Hmmmm, it would be cool if we could tell what kind of guild lived longer. I.E. Merchants living longer then warriors on average, something of the sort. So we can say, if you want to playa long lived character, play a _______.
uppers.

Good idea aspsjdhblihakek. And then when I see that "this" guild lives longest, I and my eeevul buddies will form our own guild and kill the other guild ded ded ded! Bwahahahahaha!

Oh shoot. I think CindyLou's eating my brainz.
Never mind.

I don't think the 'which guild lives longest thing' is a good idea, personally.  People should play something because they like the character and leave the I-want-to-play-this-guild-because-its-UBER thing at the door.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I've had three that've passed the 100 day mark, but I can only vote once.

What sort of rip off is this?!

How on earth do you find time to play three characters for 100 days!?!?!  I mean, admittedly, if you take all my characters and combined them into three characters, I'd make that amount of time, but still.  Yikes.

My longest lived, in order:

52 days, # hours.

29 days, # hours.

38 days, # hours.

As far as I know, or remember, I've never had significant link-dead time on any of my long lived characters.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I've crossed the 200 day mark before, it's sick eh.

Well... so much for my ego on having a 55 day character. :?
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

-looks up- Jeez...I'm at 18 days and so many hours and excited about it.  :shock:
Surrender!"
"You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept."

My record is somewhere in the 170ish day range.

I still haven't made it past the 40-day mark, but I've gotten close.  For some reason, most of my characters that make it that far tend to piss people off.  I wonder where they get it from.   :roll:

I also don't log on as many hours, per day, as some people do, so my score to RL time ratio is lower than a more active player's.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

My characters all tend to die before and just before 20 days.
The one who didn't lived to be over 100 days. Its my theory that if my char can live to 20 days they will live to at least 100 days. Just a theory, I'll let you know how it works out.

Quote from: "crymerci"I still haven't made it past the 40-day mark, but I've gotten close.  For some reason, most of my characters that make it that far tend to piss people off.  I wonder where they get it from.   :roll:

I suffer the same disease.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

60 days and counting.  Tick tick tick.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

My very first char lasted 117days

And have had several that ran from 35-60 days.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I've had two in the 60-ish day range.  Each of them spanned more than 2 years, but there were some gaps.  I can't play that long without breaks.
We all become what we pretend to be.  -Rothfuss

This is my first PC to live past 7 hours.. :)
But I never know when I am going to die with my PC, even though it feels like I am going to die whenever I say something.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Longest lived was 18 days, and that took about 3 months.

I want to see Kankmans longest lived character. Heh.

Mine is like... 2-3 days... sigh. If only there where more hours in a day.

15 odd something days on first. And planning to live forever next time.  :P

I wonder whatever happened to 5 day lifespan?  I think he finally got to 6 days, then he just disappeared.

Anyway, I'm not completely sure how long my character's have lived, because I usually don't remember to type "score" immediately before dying.  I've had three characters in the 10-12 day range.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "uberjazz"
Quote from: "crymerci"I still haven't made it past the 40-day mark, but I've gotten close.  For some reason, most of my characters that make it that far tend to piss people off.  I wonder where they get it from.   :roll:

I suffer the same disease.

Yeah, but you know you have it really bad by the time you've had 12 characters that have never made it past 10days playtime because something completely redunant like fleeing from a carru and watching your nice awsome ranger die to falling off a cliff... I've just one question... Who in the fuck would choose jumping off a cliff as opposed to fleeing in the other direction or attempting to run past the carru?
ocking a fake scream, the badass scorpion exclaims to you, in
sirihish:
"Ah! Scorpions! I pissed my Wyvern trousers! Ah!"

Quote from: "__Torax__"I've just one question... Who in the fuck would choose jumping off a cliff as opposed to fleeing in the other direction or attempting to run past the carru?

You fell while trying to flee.  Seems like a reasonable thing to me, I wouldn't look at it as fleeing towards the cliff like a crazed maniac.

Try flee <direction>.

You go off the cliff, consider it as the carru -running right behind you- and driving you off the cliff.

Next time, have a buddy bail you out.  Or have a buddy -there- to bail you out.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Damn you people...my longest lived char has been around 8 or 9 days....

Although, I've never actually gotten ahold of a character who ended up able to defend himself...that may just make differences.
Veteran Newbie

So far, I'm still on my frist character and she has lived a week. But she's not a hunter or a theif or anything so I guess thats about right.
 got caught at school with my hands down my pants and had to keep it down there for  a whole week.......What a week!
~Chris, Family Guy

Longest lived was probably 17 days. Fairly well set character it seems. Over a few months time.

Normally I do something stupid around day 10, or some RPT comes up or something.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I wonder who the oldest NPC is.... Thexi or the beggar?

Since the end of august, I have had three characters.  The first was 17 days, with a stupid death, the second was 16 days, with a stupid death, and the most recent was just under 19 days with a great death.

Cant really comment yet. 15 days and a few odd hours, and a very stupid death. Still counting on the current.

I was wondering if any of your characters actually died from old age...

That is an awful lot of 75+ day characters.

I think some of you are lying.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Quote from: "Callisto"I think some of you are lying.
Nice'n friendly, aren't we?
I'd suggest reading a little bit about statistics, and open ended or incomplete ranges.
In fact that's something many of these polls would benefit from greatly, if applied before writing up that significant poll. But I guess since they're just for supposed to be entertaining anyway, they may just yield completely wrong results on purpose.
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]

No, it's not alot at all.

First, I could name at least 5 currently living chars that are over 75 days, that I know of.

Now, 122 people voted, the mud has been running for over 12 years now, some of us have been here that long too, so, lets say 10 people that voted have been here for better then ten years, odds are they would have at least 1 very long lived char.

Really though, given the amount of time the game has been running, 24 people who have had better then 75day chars is rather tiny. and is only 1 in every 4.something voters.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

1800+ RL hours online with one character, who other than me finds that a bit scary to even think about?

8)  

I find it a bit scary to think about. Currently running over 2000 hours on a character.  I don't want to think what else I could have done with that time.

But it has been a good time, for the most part. I don't really regret it.  :)

Quote from: "Quo"Nice'n friendly, aren't we?

No, just to the point.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Check out the other poll on how long RL people have had the same character - no fewer than 14 claimed to have had one longer than two years, and getting 75 days out of a character in that space of time doesn't surprise me overly - eighteen hours on average each week would do it, and I suspect many people spend more time on Arm than that.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Quote from: "Behind the Sunglasses"
I don't want to think what else I could have done with that time.

That one's easy. What the majority of the population wastes their time away with - watching TV. After all TV is designed to keep large parts of the population at a nicely subdued level of consciousness, with a convenient line right to their consuming (and spending) habits.

Things are starting to get wrong when you're doing both. Or when you're missing important parts of your real life in favour of your virtual one.

Watching TV on the other hand is nothing I am particularly missing.
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]

Heh... I hate admitting this but my average character lifespan is fairly short. The first few characters can be attributed to still learning arm, but now that I've learned it I think I've realized most of my deaths are due to what I like to call Pungee's Theory of Critter Forgetfulness. You see, as some may have noticed, I'm prone to taking breaks once in awhile from Arm (College or RL or Job interferes from time to time) and I start forgetting things that PCs of mine should know. For example... A ranger who's dealt with the wastes of the Southlands all his life should, in all likelihood, know that the massive, armored hulk with seven mouths and forty-seven point three eyes is NOT a scrab... But his player forgets and stands his ground. This results in a short lifespan.

But what about in the city? You ask... I shall answer. Well you see the city deaths are attributed to forgetting that nosave off means the guards will mangle you horribly in a single round of combat. And that nosave on (despite how sinister it sounds) actually is your friend and means time in a dungeon rather than seeing my old friend the Mantis-Head.

Oh and in general 2-5 days of logged playing time is my average. Not impressive, I know, but damnit I still have fun.  8)

Teh pengu hath spoken.

The poll is a joke. 0% of you lasted under a day? Right.

I know I've watched a lot more than that die.

I've watched a few even do 4 or 5 new PC's in one day. Hard to accomplish but it has been done.

Almost all of my chars have been long-lived. To your dismay.

You are Bhagharva, of many people. (type 'tribes' to see your tribes).
Sdesc: Bhagharva the Purulent
Objective: Famine, War, Pestilence, Death
[edited]
You have been playing for 586 days and 12 hours.
You are standing.
You are currently speaking sirihish.
Bhagharva the Purulent Carcass

Understood Bhagharva...I went through two characters in one day once, but we're talking about the longest lived here.  :wink:
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Bhagharva"The poll is a joke. 0% of you lasted under a day? Right.

I know I've watched a lot more than that die.

I've watched a few even do 4 or 5 new PC's in one day. Hard to accomplish but it has been done.

Well, yeah...i once did three characters in one day.  But isn't the point of this thread to talk about one's -longest- lived character?  Nothing cool ever happens to a character who dies before he isn't allowed to reroll.

Quote from: "uberjazz"Nothing cool ever happens to a character who dies before he isn't allowed to reroll.
Disagree.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Lazloth"
Quote from: "uberjazz"Nothing cool ever happens to a character who dies before he isn't allowed to reroll.
Disagree.
Alright...nothing cool has ever happened -me-.