Indentured Servant/ new slave idea

Started by My 2 sids, February 03, 2004, 10:45:50 AM

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3823&start=30http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/html/servant.html

A few of us have posted about the idea of indentured servants in Zalanthas.  Realizing that we've started to derail the original post, I decided to create a new post entirely.  The jest of everything is wondering if there is a want to work with the idea of slavery.  Do more people want to be slave owners and slaves.  What I came up with instead of slavery (which is usually for life) is more of a limited slavery based on the concept of indentured servants during the American colonies.  

First, I'd like to explain why I think this would be a neat idea in game.  One, it would allow for many more players to test the idea of playing a slave.  The servant would have enough freedom to be able to interact (limited) with other characters, the time frame would just be a bit, not the character's entire life, individuals might be able to afford a year or so of owning a slave (much more playable for the status of PCs) and would only have to worry about the servant for a limited amount of time.  

Next, I'd like to give some expectations for this, as it applies in Zalanthas.  Servants would agree to serve their masters for a given amount of time (say an IC year or two).  During that time the master agrees to provide food, shelter, protection, or pay off any debts the servant had.  The servant would work for the master as personal property for that time.  I'd also suggest that these servants have a bit more freedoms (enough for role-play potential) than other common slaves.  Namely, they could have limited interaction with other characters, so long as the master OK's this.  

Anyhow, this is just an idea that I find more playable and would satisfy the wants of the player population who is toying with the idea of slavery.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I have attempted to allow someone an out in taking an 'indentured' timeframe that would have been witnessed/written down by a templar in lieu of a different punishment/payment in the past. You would have thought I wanted the pc to mate with a mantis since the idea of being indentured/enslave was so abhorrent to them that they implied they rather die than that.

That is the attitude you usually run into that is bleeding over from RL. Some might worry about a sullying of their name or abuse by the owner but death is a bit more permanent than a few years of indenturement. This was a common practice back in the day to pay off debts, etc. I dont really see a problem with it but again, it comes down to what a person wants to play and to most the idea of a slave envisions cruel treatment, abuse and torture, therefore they dont want to play or they feel the whole role would be boring.
 staff member sends:
    "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"

What you propose does exist already as common practice in the city states.  Though it doesn't happen much with PCs, we can assume Templars are constantly using what you suggest as punishments with VNPCs.  Get in some trouble, and maybe you'll get 'lucky'.