The bald, fiery-tattooed man is gone afk.

Started by Akaramu, January 23, 2004, 06:39:34 PM

Quote from: "Callisto"And to all of you delicate RP flowers with the apparent attention span of a nine year old, let me make this suggestion to you: Use your imagination. If you see an OOC seam in the game world, just role-play around it and continue. It is only a problem if you make it a problem.

This is HILARIOUS coming from someone who had to quit the game because of an sdesc that got under their skin.

Please take the immaturity and flames elsewhere.   Nothing that was said here rudely couldn't have been said with some basic degree of politeness.  I don't know if the "no flames" rules have exceptions for certain posters, but it seems that way, because there are a couple people who I have never seen post any response, especially to someone with whom they disagree, without being fucking rude as hell.

On the subject of this thread, I think it comes down to personal taste.  I agree that using gone as frequently as every fifteen minutes seems quite a lot.  I have never seen anyone use it that much.  It's a rare night that I see anyone use it at all.   I prefer to use things like "gone briefly", which might be a little less jarring than "gone afk".    Or I use the OOC command instead of gone, depending on the circumstances.   I too dislike it when people tell me the reason they are gone, because it doesn't matter.  "gone phone", "gone bathroom", "gone doorbell" all seem unnecessary to me, although I guess the purpose is to give an indication of how long it might be.

I think the best suggestion on here is to use "gone" in combination with some roleplayed reason to be inattentive.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: "CRW"This is HILARIOUS coming from someone who had to quit the game because of an sdesc that got under their skin.

There is a HUGE difference between an OOC seam and something that is a glaring reminder of poor musicals of the mid-to-late 90's, CRW.

When you see someone emote taking a swing at you with the shield, which is then followed by the stock bash echo, it is an OOC seam that provides you, the player, with information about the game. This is the kind of thing you role-play around, because it isn't that big of a deal.

When you see "the little black guy wearing one white glove moon walks across the bar" for example, you are instantly reminded of a former pop icon that you are forced to interact with on an in-character basis. This is wholly unacceptable if for no other reason that there isn't an IC way to role-play around them, you either have to play along with Zalanthas Neo, Zalanthas LotR clone or Zalanthas Evita, or avoid them all together.

One is needed, one is a slap in the face. I don't see how you can compare the two.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Callisto...Carnage...you to are so flunkies to each other it isn't even funny.

Now, to the conversation at hand...gone is fine the way it is.  It should respond to more than just whisper, which is all I've seen get a message in response to.  People using 'tell' and 'psi' do not receive a 'that person is not at the keyboard' kind of message.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

But shouldn't they?

If you Psi or Tell someone, shouldn't you get the message?

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: "Callisto"
There is a HUGE difference between an OOC seam and something that is a glaring reminder of poor musicals of the mid-to-late 90's, CRW.

When you see someone emote taking a swing at you with the shield, which is then followed by the stock bash echo, it is an OOC seam that provides you, the player, with information about the game. This is the kind of thing you role-play around, because it isn't that big of a deal.

When you see "the little black guy wearing one white glove moon walks across the bar" for example, you are instantly reminded of a former pop icon that you are forced to interact with on an in-character basis. This is wholly unacceptable if for no other reason that there isn't an IC way to role-play around them, you either have to play along with Zalanthas Neo, Zalanthas LotR clone or Zalanthas Evita, or avoid them all together.

One is needed, one is a slap in the face. I don't see how you can compare the two.

Ragamuffin:

: a ragged often disreputable person; especially : a poorly clothed often dirty child

How you have come to identify that term with West Side story is beyond me, but what you consider a blaring OOC lapse is your own issue, just like people who can't stand the gone message.

I do agree with CRW here. The assocciation is completely subjective.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

How about replacing the OOC portion with:

gone

... ok, you are gone.

Other PC says to you: "Hello World"

Other PC sees:  "The dude/dudette appears a little Krath-struck."

Give it an IC response, so people don't need to use OOC acronyms like AFK, BRB, which can break the environment.

Thank you gfair... thats exactly what I meant. It would be simple to say the same thing in an IC way, and not break the environment.