Was anyone else just disconnected?

Started by Akaramu, January 18, 2004, 05:04:28 AM

Cant reconnect... internet works fine. This doesnt usually happen to me, is it common with Arm?

It happens, check the homepage.  www.armageddon.org  At the bottom of the page it tells you how long the mud has been up for, if the mud has crashed it will say "Armageddon is not running" for a while until it reboots and opens again.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Good to know, thank you.

Different question, lets assume I crash, cant reconnect, and need to leave the house... could I ask a staff member to remove my poor PC from the world, if it happened in an area where she could easily be considered safe?

You don't really need that, since all characters leave the world when the mud crashes. Thats why you need to type 'e' and enter the world after the crash.

If you mean taking your character(who is not in the game) and quitting her/him in a safer place, I don't know.

PCs leave the world if you crash but the mud doesnt? I could swear I have seen disconnected PCs stand around in the same room for very long amounts of time.

:lol:

No. Sorry, I thought you meant if the mud crashes.

See, in that case I wonder if I could ask a staff member to remove that PC from the world  :wink:

Help file death (a part of it):

"When characters die in Armageddon MUD, there is no resurrection. Only if at least two senior staff members agree that the death occurred directly as the result of some major bug, or other exceptional circumstances, can the character be resurrected. Deaths caused by link-loss, lag, typos, the callousness of other players, and rampant stupidity do NOT fall into the category of exceptional circumstances."

Should you loose a char cause of a crash it should no problem to get him back. We were in a group in the middle of the desert as the crash happened.
Lost our animals and some items. Via "wish" we got all our belongings back (by the way, thanks again).
And it seems that you will go link dead and not quit the game. Two of our group didn't reacted for a long time after some of us returned.
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

Link loss is an awful thing, by checking the page you can generally tell if you just lost link, or if the game actually went down.  Another suggestion would be, if you are using a PC, go to the command prompt (Start/run/cmd or command) and type 'tracert ginka.armageddon.org'
this will trace the route to armageddon, if you are getting a lot of connection timed out, it means probably something between you and the game is down and therefore you can not connect.  

When you're link dead and in game this can be problematic, because emailing the staff may not be a good idea as they get lots of email and likely wouldn't see said email untill you already found a way to reconnect.  

My experience is sometimes link dead chars are actually removed from the game. But this is purely up to the imms, I know of no policy for or against them logging someone out.  I'd actually be curious to know what the staff policy on that one is (if any staff would like to reply.)

I've lost a char to linklessness once.  Was talking to a pair of dwarves from the north (this was probably nearly ten years ago real life) and I lost link and came back in to the pair attacking me.  I'm sure you know who you are if you still play. Heh, no hard feelings, but it was awfully lame of them.

I can think of an instance where the IMMs might move your linkdead character to another place:

If you're visiting another character in their home, and they have to log out and you go link-dead. You don't want to lock them in, you don't want to give them the key, you don't want to leave the door open for anyone else to waltz in and steal your furniture. So you wish up and hope an IMM's available and sympathetic to the situation. It's never happened to me, but something similar did once. The other character logged out abruptly in the middle of my living room and I didn't wanna sit there for the next half hour waiting for them to log back in.

So I wished and told the staff I needed to go, and if the guy shows up while I"m gone, that I had no problem with them just moving him out of the apartment and would accept the consequences if he turned out to be a rat and stole my steel katana :)

Fortunately he didn't take advantage of the OOC-imposed situation, and all was well.

Ooh, I dunno about that.  If someone logs out abruptly in your home, I think the risks should fall on them and not you. That's an awfully ooc thing to do and while real life can force us into such sitatutions, taking advantage of oocly imposed situations is nothing short of abuse.

I had rp concerns rather than death ones... lets say you are a member of a house with a job, and you get disconnected in a crowded area and cant log back on for hours... all your friends walk by and wonder why you are not reacting in any way, and your boss wonders why you are not working. That would be sorta silly.

Something else, is it possible to starve while linkdead? Or do character stats not change meanwhile?

Thankfully you can't starve or die of thirst as long as the game knows you're link dead.. I think it's possible to be link dead and the game think you're actually still connected though.

As far as rp concerns, people understand linkdeadness, it's simply something that happens and if someone isn't willing to square with it then next time they're link dead the god of rp ediquette will come down and (insert clever phrase here.)